2019 BOA San Antonio

I doubt that

All depends on how well they do at the Lonestar Preview as it'll be their first competition (at least I THINK it will be). If they show up and score anything above a 90 then they'll have a good shot at making finals, not to mention that it was only three years ago that they made finals at UIL State (Different contest, I know, but still impressive!).

I like to think of it like the NFL playoffs. You’ll always have your powerhouse teams (Patriots = FloMo) that will be a lock for finals. Then you’ll have “usual” division winners (Seahawks = Reagan). Then there’s the switch up of your wild cards. That’s where it gets interesting and will be exciting to see who’s this year’s wildcard. And just like the NFL, anyone can beat anyone. Show up and play your best.

I remember a time when FloMo wasn't even in the conversation.  Now we just all automatically assume they will win SA and GN (if they were to attend).  Funny how things ebb and flow in Texas.  I don't see that same ebb and flow in Indiana as much, though.  Seems as if Carmel and Avon have been on top for decades.  

TWHSParent is among those here that always has well thought out and logical comments; I’m a fan.

Anywho, I agree with their comment about people not putting BOA Houston in consideration. Obviously the area has less BOA SA finals “locks” than the other cities in Texas (only having The Woodlands) but their “bubble” bands are just as relevant and talented as the other areas. People seem to disregard them just because they’re from Houston.

If we look at Finals from the last 5 years of BOA S.A. and UIL 6A, only 3 Houston area schools show up.

2014 - BOA - TWHS

2014 - UIL - TWHS

2015 - BOA - TWHS

2016 - BOA - Cy-Falls, TWHS

2016 - UIL - TWHS, North Shore

2017 - BOA - TWHS

2018 - BOA - TWHS

2018 - UIL - TWHS

I think people recognize the pattern and are understandably dubious until it breaks.

There sure are a lot of LISD bands in one block- coincidental I am sure but still strange.

How about all six LISD bands on Friday evening!!??!!   Talk about some quiet half-times at football games in LISD!! :- )

• 5:00 Vandegrift H.S., TX
  • 5:15 Leander H.S., TX
  • 5:30 Vista Ridge H.S., TX
  • 6:00 Cedar Park H.S., TX
  • 8:45 Rouse H.S., TX
  • 9:30 Tom Glenn H.S., TX

How about all six LISD bands on Friday evening!!??!!   Talk about some quiet half-times at football games in LISD!! :- )

• 5:00 Vandegrift H.S., TX
  • 5:15 Leander H.S., TX
  • 5:30 Vista Ridge H.S., TX
  • 6:00 Cedar Park H.S., TX
  • 8:45 Rouse H.S., TX
  • 9:30 Tom Glenn H.S., TX

I wonder if they'll have some MS bands come fill in again.  

Houston bands didn't really do themselves many favors to build confidence with the TXBands fanbase to start the year, as even with their best chance at a non-Woodlands Houston band taking a BOA medal since TWCP in 2014 (someone can correct me if I'm wrong there), they still all finished behind the smaller than typical contingency of Austin/SA bands. The fact that the 10th place band from BOA Austin finished 3rd in Houston, doesn't help rally the confidence (and that's not to take anything away from Westwood btw, they're having a fantastic year). 

Houston has a lot of really good bands, I don't want anyone to feel like I'm bashing Houston. But as has been noted, the best of the Houston bands (besides the Woodlands) have trended to finish in the 18-30 range at SA, and based on early results, they don't seem to have a standout group this year to go all in on. Maybe a hero will emerge though?

EDIT: As I typed that, TWHSParent posted a great counter-point, which is just as valid as my perspective! 

Houston bands didn't really do themselves many favors to build confidence with the TXBands fanbase to start the year, as even with their best chance at a non-Woodlands Houston band taking a BOA medal since TWCP in 2014 (someone can correct me if I'm wrong there), they still all finished behind the smaller than typical contingency of Austin/SA bands. The fact that the 10th place band from BOA Austin finished 3rd in Houston, doesn't help rally the confidence (and that's not to take anything away from Westwood btw, they're having a fantastic year). 

Houston has a lot of really good bands, I don't want anyone to feel like I'm bashing Houston. But as has been noted, the best of the Houston bands (besides the Woodlands) have trended to finish in the 18-30 range at SA, and based on early results, they don't seem to have a standout group this year to go all in on. Maybe a hero will emerge though?

That has never been my point - I'm not and have not been stating that any of the Houston bands is going to crash the party. I honestly didn't see anything this past weekend that would indicate that. I did see shows that, if the design teams build on what they have this year and add demand, could turn into special programs. But those shows are not here yet, and those schools need some stability and tenacity to weather the ups and downs. Pearland, Seven Lakes, Oak Ridge are programs that are pushing against the ceiling they are currently under. Clear Brook is up and down - they create fun, well themed shows (at least on non-UIL years), but they don't have the demand necessary to compete for San Antonio finals. But I really enjoy what they have on offer!. JET has been pretty consistent, but I don't notice that they are being anything but consistent, which is itself an achievement (consistency is under-rated). Cy-Fair dropped this year after pushing hard to bridge the gap to TWHS, and maybe they push back up again. I'm sure I'm not mentioning many schools (Yes, I saw you Tompkins!), but I don't need to in order to try to clarify my point.

I'll be honest - I would much rather see a contest that has 25 bands that are good, with maybe 4 or so "great" bands, than a contest that is the same old, same old. If there is a churn of finalists, that really gives all the really good, but not great, bands something to push for, and rewards their hard work. Anyway that is a preference, and it doesn't mean I don't enjoy watching the great bands - that is what San Antonio is all about and it also has dozens of good to really good bands to boot. So Houston is a mini San Antonio in cross section in my view. Hmm, something like a double-stuff Oreo? A little crunchy on the top and bottom, but with lots of tasty middle.

EDIT: As I typed that, TWHSParent posted a great counter-point, which is just as valid as my perspective!

I know 2017, their second year at SA, Pearland was able to increase their score 9.575 points from a 78.275 at Conroe to a 87.850 at SA. And that 87.850 actually got them 17th. Just looking back from 2016 SA to 2017 SA, it looked like Pearland had something to prove and it led to a increase in 11 spots. Last year 2018 SA Pearland got 25th. At Houston this year they got a score of 82.4 and look like they have something to prove again. If they increase by 9.575 points again that would be enough to get them into finals this year. Like Daniel says, Pearland keeps on getting underscored.

I know 2017, their second year at SA, Pearland was able to increase their score 9.575 points from a 78.275 at Conroe to a 87.850 at SA. And that 87.850 actually got them 17th. Just looking back from 2016 SA to 2017 SA, it looked like Pearland had something to prove and it led to a increase in 11 spots. Last year 2018 SA Pearland got 25th. At Houston this year they got a score of 82.4 and look like they have something to prove again. If they increase by 9.575 points again that would be enough to get them into finals this year. Like Daniel says, Pearland keeps on getting underscored.

I love the ending of Pearland's show this year. The counter-rotating rectangles that contract, rotate again, then contract into a full band square,then spreads out into the push to the finale. Great stuff!

So if...

Patriots= FloMo

Seahawks = Reagan

then

Rams = Vista Ridge (rising out nowhere to stardom and relatively “young” (on the elite marching scene) but steadily getting better)

Packers= The Woodlands (once super on top and still good but looking to return to their eliteness by switching it up this year (new head coach=sailor uniforms?)

Eagles = CTJ (consistently good and capable of winning titles while also tending to be the best performers and capable of coming up with so many new things (philly special))

Cowboys = Marcus (they won a lot back in the day and they always seem to be doing really well and in finals and resurgent as of late)

Who is Leander? Hebron? Vandy?

Am I too off topic? Just cool to find parallels