2019 BOA San Antonio

I don't think that is what is at the heart of the discussion. Look at non-heavy hitters that come from Austin, San Antonio, and DFW and attend Houston - they typically are unable to make their way into finals. For every Vandegrift, Leander, James Bowie, CTJ, Reagan, etc. that come here, take a look at Richland, O'Connor, Pflugerville from this year, that have good shows, but end up in the high teens/low 20's at this contest. I think Richland would have been closer to finals at DFW this year, and maybe would have snagged a spot. So the big hitters have nothing to worry about, but any band that is 1 tier down is going to be in a massive donnybrook (think I used that term before the contest - still seems right) for finals. And we have a tendency to focus on the stars, and not pay as much attention to the next set of bands that are just waiting for their moment to shine. And Houston has more of those bands than any other region, perhaps in the entire country.

But really, to be honest, lets address the elephant in the room - there is a sense of disbelief about how much Westwood improved week to week that is coloring how people are viewing the Houston contest this year, and I think, after watching them live and on Flo, that disbelief is not warranted. On October 5th, Westwood scored a completely earned 85.025. That score was not too high for their performance (not going to quibble about tenths of a point). Does that mean they will make finals in SA? No, but they are now on that track to get those 5 points to break 90, which seems to be necessary, but not always sufficient (LD Bell 2017). What do they have left in that show to get there? None of us know. But I would not be surprised if they, at worst, are top 20 with a score around 88 or so. And I think that is the worst case. But again, that is my opinion, and I've been wrong many, many times. But don't be surprised if the top 4 from Houston do very, very well for themselves later in the season. And I'm not slighting Clear Brook (or Pearland) - they have a full show, and will absolutely be bringing that up, but I think they'll top out in the 85-87 range. That makes finals at any other super regional but San Antonio.

Note, I'm not trained in anything musically/artistically, so my opinion is worth what you paid for it! :)

Thank you. I get that no one believes that this band is as good as the judges seem to think we are. And I hate the thought that, as a result, other bands get discounted.

^I think Hebron could fall under that too. Or maybe moreso the Bills (losing 4 Super Bowls in a row and having to live in the same “district” as the ever winning Pats)

This is hilarious, spot on sir. Spot on.

Btw, is anyone sensing a repeat or better than 2017 this year. Just watched Reagan’s performance at Houston. Add in Leander, Vandy, VR, FM, TWHS and Hebron to the mix with plenty of potential surprises. My goodness this is going to be a shootout this year.

Btw, is anyone sensing a repeat or better than 2017 this year. Just watched Reagan’s performance at Houston. Add in Leander, Vandy, VR, FM, TWHS and Hebron to the mix with plenty of potential surprises. My goodness this is going to be a shootout this year.

Don’t count out CTJ just yet.

I sure as heck hope it's NOT a repeat of 2017.  We had a fantastic show and score and still only ended up in 14th place!  What a year that was.  

No, I definitely hope it's not a repeat.

Here's a spreadsheet I made to help track the bands performing at SA this year with their BOA scores. I also have certain bands highlighted certain colors based on "honors" they have achieved.

Purple - Currently ranked in the top 32 (and next 10)

Red - Formerly ranked in the top 32 (and next 10) this season

Orange - Formerly ranked in the top 32 (and next 10) at any point

Blue - Has made finals at a BOA competition this season

Yellow - Has made finals at a BOA competition in the past 5 years

In the results section, if it they're in green they just attended but if it's blue they made finals at the event.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rCO4c8ZW-xmg9LLQZimAKhYCkPGE6TTtEnsVp-Hg-5s/edit?usp=sharing

Edit: I swear I’m literate

Don't kill me, but you might want to add TMC this weekend to your spreadsheet.  I know the scoring will be different, but there are a lot of SA finalist level programs at this competition coming up on Saturday.  ;)

It's a good show. I think they are having a tougher time musically with it as it uses lower volumes predominantly.  Visually it looked sound, albeit the broadcast was fairly grainy and you can only tell so much from looking from the press box. There is a lot of time to go so I wouldn't judge them too hard against the Texas bands going to nationals right now, but I don't think they're unbeatable. 

I wonder if these pairings were made to keep a few certain school districts from dominating finals....LISD north and south, NORTH east school district...

The contest is going to be a blast anyway you cut it. I am excited. My sister is also flying into town for the weekend to check out her first Texas band contest.

I wonder if these pairings were made to keep a few certain school districts from dominating finals....LISD north and south, NORTH east school district...

The contest is going to be a blast anyway you cut it. I am excited. My sister is also flying into town for the weekend to check out her first Texas band contest.

I hope not. If so, that is some BS.

BOA doesn't care about school districts. It is unlikely they could name very many or what schools are from which one if you cornered them. The language from the rulebook is "To best balance the championship, a historical record of that championship's past three (3) years of finalists will be distributed evenly between Prelims 1 and 2." There are some rules about getting either a Friday or Saturday performance date, and the rest is a random draw.

Is it too much Texas bias to say the show doesn’t do much for me and that I think at least 3 Texas bands have a chance to top it?

Then again Carmel never does much for me and they keep on wining....

I agree.  Going back to what I saw at BOA Austin on the same date as this performance, I am not sure this run would have made the podium in Austin.  There were at least 3-4 that I saw that were better than this.  Seeing this makes me think Team Texas has a good chance to dethrone Carmel !!!