2019 BOA San Antonio

Something I remember reading a while back was someone suggesting having 16 bands in finals rather than 14. I’m not sure what I think of that to be honest no strong opinion for me just bringing up an idea from a while back.

For fun here’s the bands that would’ve made finals had there been 16 instead of 14 in the past few years + their scores for some extra info

2018:

•James Bowie (89.800) and Prosper (89.400)

2017:

•L.D Bell (90.250) and Vista Ridge (88.550)

2016:

Cedar Ridge (84.40) and L.D Bell (84.30)

2015:

Friendswood (83.20) and Westlake (83.00)

2014:

Hendrickson (85.10) and Richland (84.45)

2013:

Leander (84.55) and Spring (84.10)

2012:

Vandegrift (85.85) and Winston Churchill (84.25)

2011:

Plano East Senior (83.85) and Legacy (83.25)

Something I remember reading a while back was someone suggesting having 16 bands in finals rather than 14. I’m not sure what I think of that to be honest no strong opinion for me just bringing up an idea from a while back.

For fun here’s the bands that would’ve made finals had there been 16 instead of 14 in the past few years + their scores for some extra info

2018:

•James Bowie (89.800) and Prosper (89.400)

2017:

•L.D Bell (90.250) and Vista Ridge (88.550)

2016:

Cedar Ridge (84.40) and L.D Bell (84.30)

2015:

Friendswood (83.20) and Westlake (83.00)

2014:

Hendrickson (85.10) and Richland (84.45)

2013:

Leander (84.55) and Spring (84.10)

2012:

Vandegrift (85.85) and Winston Churchill (84.25)

2011:

Plano East Senior (83.85) and Legacy (83.25)

Wow looking at those scores for a moment. Still hard to believe a band making 88 did not qualify to make finals still amazes me

I’m hoping to see a new winner in SA. One of those “always the bridesmaid, never the bride” kind of deals. I’m ready to see one of these bridesmaids become the bride. ;)

There have only been 7 different winners in 16 years. LD Bell has 4, Marcus and Flower Mound have 3 each. There's 10 years. Ronald Reagan and CTJ each have 2, and Westfield and The Woodlands have 1 apiece.

There have only been 7 different winners in 16 years. LD Bell has 4, Marcus and Flower Mound have 3 each. There's 10 years. Ronald Reagan and CTJ each have 2, and Westfield and The Woodlands have 1 apiece.

Wow Westfield. I really wonder what happened to them cuz thats he only year I ever heard of them in 2003

And I dug into 2nd and 3rd place finishes..

2nd Place Finishes: The Woodlands 4, LD Bell 3, Marcus, James Bowie, Hebron, and Ronald Reagan 2, Winston Churchill 1.

3rd Place Finishes: James Bowie 3, Marcus, The Woodlands and Leander 2, Stephen F Austin, Owasso, Cedar Park, LD Bell, Claudia Taylor Johnson, Vandegrift, and Hebron 1.

So total medalist finishes:

LD Bell                            8

Marcus                            7

The Woodlands               7

James Bowie                    5

Ronald Reagan               4

Flower Mound                  3

Claudia Taylor Johnson    3

Hebron                             3

Leander                           2

Westfield                          1

Winston Churchill             1

Stephen F Austin             1

Owasso                            1

Cedar Park                       1

Vandegrift                         1

Wow Westfield. I really wonder what happened to them cuz thats he only year I ever heard of them in 2003

Demographic changes in their district. Both Westfield and Spring (both in Spring ISD) were once absolute powerhouse marching programs. Westfield has had good shows the last couple years - they just missed finals at McAllen last year (they were the dreaded 11th place). Spring was 50th at SA last year. We get to see them from time to time, and while they aren't competing at the top, they do put on enjoyable shows.

Only Seven in 16 years. I had no idea! Yep it’s time! As much as I ache for a Leander win, I won’t be surprised if Hebron takes it this year.

I’m hoping to see a new winner in SA. One of those “always the bridesmaid, never the bride” kind of deals. I’m ready to see one of these bridesmaids become the bride. ;)

So after my digging, I think we should be pulling for James Bowie as they are the bridesmaid the most historically. After them would be Hebron, then Leander.

Demographic changes in their district. Both Westfield and Spring (both in Spring ISD) were once absolute powerhouse marching programs. Westfield has had good shows the last couple years - they just missed finals at McAllen last year (they were the dreaded 11th place). Spring was 50th at SA last year. We get to see them from time to time, and while they aren't competing at the top, they do put on enjoyable shows.

Westfield seems to be headed back up. I remember 4-5 years ago that band had around 90 members in it, and are now pushing 200+ with much stronger performance levels.

The main difference is that they're using one panel to determine finalists and class champions at Nationals, but they're using two different panels and throwing all the scores together at San Antonio.

The judges need to grow a pair. The programs bust their tails all season and always bring their best.

MFA makes $$$$ off of these contests that compensate the judges for sitting in the AC sipping cold beverages and chowing down while the bands wait in crowded busses, practice in the heat and sit in the cheap seats.

There should be one set of judges for all of qualifying at least. If they took this as serious as every member of every program that takes the field and perform the jobs they're paid to do, then we probably wouldn't be discussing this.

only 4 of the 12 finalist are returning - kinda low

I’m not trying to disprove anything you’re saying, but I was genuinely curious to see if there were any bands missing without a clear reason

Blue Springs - Very good chance that they’re switching from an odd-year rotation to an even-year rotation

Broken Arrow - Historically skips Nats every third year

Tarpon Springs - Attends on even-numbered years

Wando - Attends on even-numbered years

Jenks - Has never attended in two consecutive years

Dobyns-Bennett - Doesn’t seem to have an obvious reason, as they’ve attended consistently since 2013

Prosper - Texas band, trip is very costly especially considering they took it twice in a row

O’Fallon - Misses one out of every 3-4 years

So I think this year is simply a combination of circumstance and some well-established programs deciding that a year this competitive would be a good year to lessen the financial strain a little.