2023 BOA San Antonio Super Regional (Nov. 3 & 4)

LeanderMomma

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, BandNerd07 said:

Really! I just assumed that Hebron was skipping SA because they were going to GN. But that's gonna be a crazy 2 weeks for Hebron as they plan on doing all 3 (State, BOA SA, and BOA GNats). Haven't really seen any program that has dared to do all 3 before.

Considering they all qualify for UIL State, Claudia Taylor Johnson, Hebron, James Bowie,  Round Rock, and The Woodlands will each have a very busy 13 days (Oct. 30 - Nov. 11)!!!

…..and it all starts in just two weeks!!!!

OFFICIAL LINEUP AS OF 07/13/2023

Confirmed (71):
A&M Consolidated H.S., TX
Aledo H.S., TX
Anderson H.S., TX
Argyle H.S., TX
Bastrop H.S., TX
Birdville H.S., TX
Bridgeland H.S., TX
Byron P. Steele II H.S., TX
Cedar Park H.S., TX
Cedar Ridge H.S., TX
Claudia Taylor Johnson H.S., TX
Clear Creek H.S., TX
Clear Springs H.S., TX
College Park H.S., TX
Crockett H.S., TX
Cypress Woods H.S., TX
Dawson H.S., TX
Forney H.S., TX
Friendswood H.S., TX
Grapevine H.S., TX
Hargrave H.S., TX
Hebron H.S., TX
Jack C. Hays H.S., TX
James Bowie H.S., TX
James Earl Rudder H.S., TX
John B. Alexander H.S., TX
Jourdanton H.S., TX
Keller Central H.S., TX
Krum H.S., TX
L.D. Bell H.S., TX
Lake Travis H.S., TX
Leander H.S., TX
Lehman H.S., TX
Louis D. Brandeis H.S., TX
M.G. Johnson H.S., TX
Magnolia H.S., TX
Manor New Tech H.S., TX
Marcus H.S., TX
McCallum H.S., TX
McNeil H.S., TX
Meridian H.S., TX
Midlothian H.S., TX
Mission Veterans Memorial H.S., TX
Oak Ridge H.S., TX
Pecos H.S., TX
Pflugerville H.S., TX
Pieper H.S., TX
Pioneer H.S., TX
Roma H.S., TX
Ronald Reagan H.S., TX
Round Rock H.S., TX
Rouse H.S., TX
Sandra Day O’Connor H.S., TX
Smithson Valley H.S., TX
Stephen F. Austin H.S., TX
The Woodlands H.S., TX
Timber Creek H.S., TX
Tom Glenn H.S., TX
United H.S., TX
Vandegrift H.S., TX
Veterans Memorial H.S., TX
Vista Ridge H.S., TX
W. Charles Akins H.S., TX
Wakeland H.S., TX
Waller H.S., TX
Walnut Grove H.S., TX
Weiss H.S., TX
Westlake H.S., TX
Westwood H.S., TX
Winston Churchill H.S., TX
Wylie East H.S., TX

It actually seems like a FANTASTIC year to be a Texas bubble band at this contest. I only count seven absolute locks for finals, with the last 7 spots being a fight between Leander, Round Rock, Bell, Wakeland, Westlake, Timber Creek, Rouse, Buda Johnson, Bowie, Keller Central, Wylie East, and Bridgeland. It will be nice to see some old faces and some new groups in finals!

On 7/21/2023 at 9:02 AM, Samuel Culper said:

Two years in a row with ZERO participation from out of state?

San Antonio is very far away from everything else and I would imagine that, other than getting to spectate the best high school band contest in the world, it’s just not worth the trip for most groups to go there and get ~60th place. 

4 hours ago, northtexasbandfan said:

I’m sure a big reason Flower Mound is not attending is they’re participating in the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade in NYC. Not going to be an inexpensive trip for sure.

it’s very interesting, many of the powerhouse dfw bands have other commitments that are making them avoid boa sa. hebron and keller going to nats, flo mo marching in the Macy’s parade, and coppell heading to chicago in december. people have been saying that the UIL smbc change has “killed” the boa sa super regional, but we will have to wait until 2025 to see if the dfw bands decide to make a weeklong trip down to San Antonio for both contests (because 2024 will have boa sa and uil smbc on the usual 5 day span). 

11 hours ago, pancake said:

it’s very interesting, many of the powerhouse dfw bands have other commitments that are making them avoid boa sa. hebron and keller going to nats, flo mo marching in the Macy’s parade, and coppell heading to chicago in december. people have been saying that the UIL smbc change has “killed” the boa sa super regional, but we will have to wait until 2025 to see if the dfw bands decide to make a weeklong trip down to San Antonio for both contests (because 2024 will have boa sa and uil smbc on the usual 5 day span). 

I think its a good thing honestly to have these spots open, it may make the high level competition smaller, but it give multiple bands the opportunity to make finals at this comp when they couldnt even dream of it previously, so it gives many students the experience they normally wouldnt be able to, and we could see with these spots opening more bands reaching this level of excellence

On 7/23/2023 at 9:27 AM, yayband914 said:

San Antonio is very far away from everything else and I would imagine that, other than getting to spectate the best high school band contest in the world, it’s just not worth the trip for most groups to go there and get ~60th place. 

Which is why it was so exciting when Avon came down.

I'm disappointed none of the other big hitters make the same choice.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2023 at 9:01 PM, BandNerd07 said:

Really! I just assumed that Hebron was skipping SA because they were going to GN. But that's gonna be a crazy 2 weeks for Hebron as they plan on doing all 3 (State, BOA SA, and BOA GNats). Haven't really seen any program that has dared to do all 3 before.

there have been a number that have run the gauntlet of the 3 in the past. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/13/2023 at 9:01 PM, BandNerd07 said:

Ummm hello. Leander did it in 2016!  😜