2018 6A State

Wow! Huge congratulations to Vista Ridge and all the other bands that performed this weekend. Although Cy-Fair didn’t place as high as we’d hoped, there was no better way to end my senior year. We stayed to watch the majority of the finalists, and man, they are just out of this world! I’m so proud of each and every one of them. :)

Celebrations (somewhat) aside, Vista was completely out of the conversation last year. Is anybody aware of any changes they made to help them jump so high? They were just incredible!

We are just starting to come down to Earth in our household,  I think the band buses may just float home on I-35 :-)  We knew they were good, they always seemed to get snakebit at sometime by another band so we couldn't believe it when they actually called out Vista.  I remember the love they got from the Leander band when they got 4th in state 3 years ago, just so nice to have that closeness between the bands.  They push each other but love each other too.

As far as what changed?  Well... a lot...  and not that much.  They have a solid middle school program that feeds them and they work really hard just like everyone else, our band supporters are enthusiastic, no matter what the results are.  We have have 3 years with three band directors, it looks like we have found a good fit.  Our color guard is three years old and they continue to get better.  I wouldn't say we are special, we are very proud of them and their hard work.  We are big supporters of all the other bands and hope for the best shows from everyone.

Leander has a lot of videos going around of CTJ and Leander swarming Vista after they broke ranks. It was definitely my favorite moment from the last 5 days. THAT is what it’s all about. And I cry every time I watch it!

CTJ band kids, Vista band kids and Leander band kids are the best kids I know. ❤️❤️

Here is the video, check out the very end: 

https://www.facebook.com/boxfivemedia/videos/509766196159176/?tn-str=k*F

Spirit of Waxahachie Indian Band.

2005 - #11 at 4A State Marching Contest Prelims

2007 - Didn’t make 4A Area Finals.

2007 - #14 at TMEA Honor Band Finals

2009 - #8 at 4A State Marching Contest Finals

2009 - #3 at TMEA Honor Band Finals

2011 - #6 at 4A State Marching Contest Finals

2011 - TMEA Honor Band

2013 - #8 at 4A State Marching Contest Finals

2015 - #7 at 5A State Marching Contest Finals

2017 - Bronze Medalist at 5A State Marching Contest Finals

2017 - TMEA Honor Band

2018 - #12 at 6A State Marching Contest Finals

Congratulations to all the finalist and especially VR. We are so proud of our kids and our programs progress, but it was humbling to be in n the big dance. Hopefully we can do better in two years.

We made it home a couple hours ago. Now it's after one o'clock in the morning and we're with a large group of parents waiting for the kids buses to arrive.

Of course it's raining. A perfect ending for this crazy season. Could anything make it better?

Yep, Timber Creek Band kids and parents are here too!

I love that! How awesome that they have supported each other so fully this season. Timber Creek will bounce back from this unfortunate streak of barely missing state finals, and when they do, they will be a force!

Congrats to Vista Ridge on taking home the win - they certainly had an incredible show. I didn't see yesterday's run but their performance at BOA SA finals was totally off the charts so it's not surprising. Their rise has been amazing for sure.

As for Flower Mound, the senior class this year can lay claim to the following:

3 BOA Regional Championships (2015, 2016, 2018)

1 BOA Regional Silver Medal (2017)

3 BOA Super Regional Championships (2015, 2016, 2018)

1 BOA Super Regional top-half-of-finals finish - 6th (2017)

1 BOA Grand Nationals top-half-of-finals finish – 5th (2017)

1 Texas UIL Class 6A Championship (2016)

1 Texas UIL Class 6A Silver Medal (2018)

2 TMEA Class 6A Honor Band 2nd place finishes (2016, 2018)

1 Sudler Shield (2017)

1 upcoming trip to Pasadena, California to participate in the 2019 Rose Bowl Parade and festivities

And I’m not even counting things like Birdville, Plano Marching, UIL Region and Area contests.

They’ve had one heck of a run.

Congrats to Flower Mound, they had an amazing season and they were spectacular as usual.  Mad props to them!  Nothing to be ashamed of.

BTW: here is the final VR run at finals  

Exactly. That's why there should be adjudicator accountability. Because it is their job, there should be consistancy in scoring based on "a system that works". Anomalous scores indicate prejudice.

The only way to back this up is to listen to every single commentary for every single band from the judges to determine if their commentary matches up with their evaluation. So this could be done if UIL chose to do so. If a judge backs up their placement with their commentary, then there is no prejudice against a band, but there might be against a certain style. And that is OK for a judge - they are judging against their preferences within the guidelines set by UIL. Those guidelines don't say "you have to love DCI sounding horn lines" or "you have to love concert band sounding ensembles" or "you have to hate <insert school name>". Do I always like the results? Of course not. I'm still trying to figure out why the VPI judge at GN last year gave us 12th in finals (with a score in the 16 range!?!). He obviously saw something he didn't like (so I assume), but it was an outlier from the previous rounds and the other finals judges. There will always be questions, especially when it goes against your band.

Is 6A state not being factored into Hornrank? Doesn’t make sense for them to use area results but not state results, as I believe that Vista Ridge should be higher than what they’re currently at.

Hornrank is BOA focused, with just a little influence from UIL due to the differences between the systems.