Notes on Favorites: 

Vandegrift is going to be a force at nationals, they need to beef up visually if they want to take on Avon, Carmel, and BA. 

Leander has one of my favorite musical selections this year, they will not be missing finals for the foreseeable future. They have a great show all they need now is to refine it and maximize their talents (musicality and visual performance). 

CTJ is amazing but they have so much jammed packed in their show, seem's a lot like Tarpon Springs. They Need to make sure their message is clear, and cleanliness is next to actual success. 

Vista Ridge they have a lot on their shoulders being the state champion, and people expect them to repeat that success, which can be a heavy burden. They Need to focus on improving this year's show and leave last years behind them.   

Cedar Park they tend to do well early season because they are very clean and precise, but because it's a state year they tend to fall behind to others in terms of GE later in the season. We will see if that's the case this year. 

Cedar Ridge is consistent no doubt about it, they tend to do better later in the season once they add more effects and clean visually. Percussion is insane! 

CTJ is definitely not having a better run. They placed their Side 1 pit completely incorrectly.

However, as a result, I'm witnessing probably one of the most impressive things I've seen in 12 years in the activity. They're literally fixing drill on the fly to adapt to the misplaced pit. There's no doubt that they are a well-taught, well-equipped, and simply intelligent band to be able to do this so easily and make it look like nothing happened (after early bobbles).

Fantastic job, CTJ.

It was incredibly well handled by some pretty dang amazing kids. You should have heard Mr. Sanchez on FIRE about how phenomenally well CTJ coped with such a huge issue. It was brilliant and so exciting to see those kids perform around such an obstacle at such an elite level. Mind boggling really.

Here are my thoughts on the top five.

Cedar Park - I have always loved this band and their crisp clean lines and formations and they did not disappoint last night.  .

Vista Ridge - Love the new unis and the sound was great.  I would love to see that amazing soprano solo split up, shortened, or shared with someone else or another instrument.  I am excited to see if they add to or incorporate the table turn thing a little more.  This show has potential.  Just like last year I am sure they will continue to surprise and impress.

CTJ - the fact that I could not tell about the prop mistake until I read it here says it all.  Their sound is amazing.  I look forward to seeing how they smooth out the edges on this one.  Seems a little disjointed right now as evidenced by all the audience standing up when they thought it was over when it wasn't.

Leander - OK, my kid is in the band so bias alert up front, but I agree with Leander Momma that this is my favorite show other than 4D and I think they are further along than we usually are at this point.  We still have so much more to implement and add so hopefully the closer and the remaining elements help tie it all together. 

Vandy - again, as has been said by others, as soon as I saw this I knew they were going to win.  From top to bottom it looked and sounded amazing and my wife loved how all the colors matched!!

My final point and plea is to the BOA organizers to please figure out the parking thing.  Getting out last night was a nightmare.  The shuttle bus was a great idea but they were stuck in the lot with the rest of us.  Seems like the police had everything blocked off and only letting one line of cars out in random succession.  The stadium is such a nice venue it is a shame that parking and the line to buy tickets always seems to be so long.  I have not studied the parking lot map but it would seem that there should be a way to use multiple exist and get more than one car out at a time.  Also, for tickets and entry into the stadium it would be nice if multiple gates were opened for finals and multiple ticket booths.  Those lines are historically long and in my opinion the only thing holding this regional back from being an A+ experience all around.

My favorite year so far as well. In Vista's favor I'm going say they finished 4th last year and went in the 4th a San Antonio and 1st at state. So a lot can change.. which goes for everyone. Interested to see Hornrank later this week.

Indianapolis is the "marching capital of the world" ....my butt.

Notes on Favorites: 

Vandegrift is going to be a force at nationals, they need to beef up visually if they want to take on Avon, Carmel, and BA. 

Leander has one of my favorite musical selections this year, they will not be missing finals for the foreseeable future. They have a great show all they need now is to refine it and maximize their talents (musicality and visual performance). 

CTJ is amazing but they have so much jammed packed in their show, seem's a lot like Tarpon Springs. They Need to make sure their message is clear, and cleanliness is next to actual success. 

Vista Ridge they have a lot on their shoulders being the state champion, and people expect them to repeat that success, which can be a heavy burden. They Need to focus on improving this year's show and leave last years behind them.   

Cedar Park they tend to do well early season because they are very clean and precise, but because it's a state year they tend to fall behind to others in terms of GE later in the season. We will see if that's the case this year. 

Cedar Ridge is consistent no doubt about it, they tend to do better later in the season once they add more effects and clean visually. Percussion is insane! 

Are you trying to say that Vista Ridge did not do well and that being State Champs means that for this contest not coming in 1st was not good enough and they have to focus more this year?  I don't think you get it.

It's not about placement results it's about doing your best and working to get better each time.   Last year Vista got 77.5 in Prelim's and 82.5 in finals at this competition.  This year in Austin they got a 82.25 in prelims and 83.35 in finals   They improved in Finals over prelims both years and came in 4th both years and have better scores year over year.   I am extremely proud of them and what they have done, they are focused and working hard and doing great!  

Concerning the exit, when I left everyone was heading for that single exit on the south side. I just went the other way (entrance way) and that was open and better yet nobody was doing it! I got out in under 1 minute. Now I did leave after the last band so I don't know if this was still the case later.

Another good strategy is to ride a bicycle in there.  I've been doing that for three years.  I live in the area, but even if you don't, you could park in a nearby neighborhood and bike over.  Save $5 on parking!

Catching up on last night, it was really cool to see some new names in finals here. Lake Travis, Rouse, and Westwood all really brought it yesterday. Westwood sounds so luscious and the show is so fun, Rouse is one of those smaller bands that puts out WAY more sound than you would ever expect them and that Barber ballad is beautiful, and I just love love love Lake Travis’s whole show. So exciting and powerful, they’re gonna have a great weekend in St. Louis here in a few weeks.

Are you trying to say that Vista Ridge did not do well and that being State Champs means that for this contest not coming in 1st was not good enough and they have to focus more this year?  I don't think you get it.

It's not about placement results it's about doing your best and working to get better each time.   Last year Vista got 77.5 in Prelim's and 82.5 in finals at this competition.  This year in Austin they got a 82.25 in prelims and 83.35 in finals   They improved in Finals over prelims both years and came in 4th both years and have better scores year over year.   I am extremely proud of them and what they have done, they are focused and working hard and doing great! 

Please read carefully, never did I say that they did bad or performed under par. I absolutely understand score progression and have worked in the activity for 10 years. I am saying that Vista Ridge should focus on the road ahead not the past, a lot of that has to do with mentality. I love Vista Ridge and I am very proud of them and have never attacked any group I am only providing insight and advice. If that offended you than I apologize but I will continue to provide my opinion. 

Thank You.

Please read carefully, never did I say that they did bad or performed under par. I absolutely understand score progression and have worked in the activity for 10 years. I am saying that Vista Ridge should focus on the road ahead not the past, a lot of that has to do with mentality. I love Vista Ridge and I am very proud of them and have never attacked any group I am only providing insight and advice. If that offended you than I apologize but I will continue to provide my opinion. 

Thank You.

Thanks for your response and explanation of what was intended.  Please note that I showed your post to a couple of folks first prior to responding and both took it the same way I did as sounding like a backhanded slight at VR so I am very glad you responded and cleared up your intent.   (Vista Ridge they have a lot on their shoulders being the state champion, and people expect them to repeat that success, which can be a heavy burden. They Need to focus on improving this year's show and leave last years behind them.   )     Also thanks for the advise and I will now take it as intended.   FYI:  trust me, the Director's and Kids are not looking back but are very focused on this year   :) 

Not that my opinion matters, but I feel that I could understand the intentions of the post. I havent seen the band or been around Texas so I dont know anything about their show, but I do agree that much of the commentary people give about it seem to be relating it to last years show in one extent or other. Its important to remember that the judges wont be thinking about Lost and Found at all, so even though we all connect VR with that show we have to separate them in our minds when watching them perform.

Thanks for your response and explanation of what was intended.  Please note that I showed your post to a couple of folks first prior to responding and both took it the same way I did as sounding like a backhanded slight at VR so I am very glad you responded and cleared up your intent.   (Vista Ridge they have a lot on their shoulders being the state champion, and people expect them to repeat that success, which can be a heavy burden. They Need to focus on improving this year's show and leave last years behind them.   )     Also thanks for the advise and I will now take it as intended.   FYI:  trust me, the Director's and Kids are not looking back but are very focused on this year   :) 

I completely understand my wording seemed harsh :( sadly I know how it feels for a group to win and face the pressure of having to repeat that success. Vista Ridge is amazing I took a sick day just to watch them win state :) I know that by the end of the season they will be a real threat, If I had the money I would try to see them at nationals and all the other Texas groups headed to finals! 

I completely understand my wording seemed harsh :( sadly I know how it feels for a group to win and face the pressure of having to repeat that success. Vista Ridge is amazing I took a sick day just to watch them win state :) I know that by the end of the season they will be a real threat, If I had the money I would try to see them at nationals and all the other Texas groups headed to finals! 

Thanks!   Unfortunately VR will not be going to Grand Nat's this year but Texas will have great representation from the 6 Texas Bands that will be going!   We will be at BOA San Antonio and I hope one year soon VR will make VR's first trip to Grand Nat's (not a prediction or insider information for next year, just a hope)!

Thanks!   Unfortunately VR will not be going to Grand Nat's this year but Texas will have great representation from the 6 Texas Bands that will be going!   We will be at BOA San Antonio and I hope one year soon VR will make VR's first trip to Grand Nat's (not a prediction or insider information for next year, just a hope)!

How does that decision get made to go to Grand Nat's?  Seems like the same bands from the district go every other year while Vista has never gone.  Is it up to the band director of each school?

How does that decision get made to go to Grand Nat's?  Seems like the same bands from the district go every other year while Vista has never gone.  Is it up to the band director of each school?

Yes it’s up to the directors. They have to raise a lot of money to go so it’s a big decision. The only schools in Leander ISD that have gone before are Leander and Cedar Park. This will be Vandegrift’s first year and Vista, Rouse, and Glenn have never gone.

$$$$$$$$$$ - That's what it is all about. If your band has it, then they will go places. Name of the game....

And having parents who are incredible fundraisers helps too. Also, each band family at Leander is on the hook for $1400 for each kiddo in band who’s going to Grand Nats. That’s over and above the regular band fees. Lastly, the decision to attend Grand Nats is made as a band family, not someone with fat pockets.

I resent this remark highly and I think VERY highly of the Dripping Springs program. Always have.

Edit. I apologized to Del Rio dad for thinking he was with Dripping Springs.

I still don’t think money makes a program but I will admit that it sure does help.