CTJ is definitely not having a better run. They placed their Side 1 pit completely incorrectly.

However, as a result, I'm witnessing probably one of the most impressive things I've seen in 12 years in the activity. They're literally fixing drill on the fly to adapt to the misplaced pit. There's no doubt that they are a well-taught, well-equipped, and simply intelligent band to be able to do this so easily and make it look like nothing happened (after early bobbles).

Fantastic job, CTJ.

Yep. I think it goes to the approach, which is not based on precision, but based on the outline of the forms. A band that uses a more precision based approach (say Vandegrift and most other bands out there) would have been in big trouble.

I admire the risks that CTJ takes, because pretty much no other group takes such extreme ones. But, overall, I find the show this year overstuffed. There’s so much going on at once that I don’t know where to look half the time. It doesn’t help that the drill right now isn’t very readable. There are some great moments in the show. I just hope CTJ can get it clean enough by Nationals to challenge for the top.

If Vandegrift wins, they're the best... But I would like to see them do a different theme show one of these years. At least the last five years it has been familiar classical and operatic music. Not as daring as they could be. The daring part, to be fair, is the difficulty of the music.

CTJ's show was very entertaining. A little odd how it leaked at the end of Just Can't Wait to be King. People thought it was over and had to be told to sit down. Glad they made the trip here.

Vandy was really clean but after watching all of the bands, these are my predictions.

Vista Ridge

Vandegrift

CTJ

Leander

Cedar Park

Rouse

Cedar Ridge

Lake Travis

Westwood

James Bowie

It’s extremely close between the top 2. Vandegrift could easily win based off their cleanliness but something feels special about Vista for me today.

my best guess @ placements-

1. Vandegrift- all captions

2. Leander

3. Vista Ridge

4. CTJ (this one's tough. i don't think they should be punished too harshly for the prop issue but I don't see how you could have them above the 3 I have ahead of them. I guess we'll see- their performance was undoubtedly inspiring and it was a fantastic musical run all things considered)

5. Cedar Park

6. Cedar Ridge

7. Westwood

8. Lake Travis

9. James Bowie

10. Rouse

incredible showings by all our first time finalists!

Overall, I’d say LISD reigned supreme tonight. My top three are the LISD schools. I think Vandegrift was too all-around excellent tonight to be topped, but stranger things have happened.

It’s a shame that CTJ had a prop issue. Probably, I would have enjoyed the show more if they didn’t have to deal with it. That said, as a judge, you have to judge what’s there before you. You can’t be wondering, “oh, is that prop in the right place?”, especially if you’re not entirely sure where it’s supposed to be in the first place. I mean, yes, recovery is awesome to reward, but within reason.

Man, I thought Rouse was really solid musically, am I placing them too high? Idk, they’re my upset pick right now.

I put them a bit lower only because the final movement was a but annoying with the whistles. Rest was great to me.

I also downgraded anyone using shotgun mics (whole ensemble amplification). Not against the rules but a crutch. A big band shouldn't need it.