Money deciding a band's success. As much as I don't want to believe it, it's largely true.

A lot of bands will talk about community support and hard work in their fundraising. They work hard, and nobody doubts that. There is no doubting, however, that the "top groups" are from the nicer neighborhoods in their cities.

Of course there are exceptions, and boy do people love to talk about those suddenly whenever this topic gets brought up.

If anyone wants to talk about it, my senior year, I did a big project on why the infrastructure and drainage systems in San Antonio are bad everywhere minus the Northside and how that contributes to the very serious segregation problem in San Antonio.

And having parents who are incredible fundraisers helps too. Also, each band family at Leander is on the hook for $1400 for each kiddo in band who’s going to Grand Nats. That’s over and above the regular band fees. Lastly, the decision to attend Grand Nats is made as a band family, not someone with fat pockets.

I resent this remark highly and I think VERY highly of the Dripping Springs program. Always have.

Believe me ma'am, we are great fund raisers here in Del Rio,TX as well, the only difference is that our fund raising only yield between one to two thousand a pop. If I recall correctly on one of the topics in this forum, one of the Austin schools made $40k on one fund raiser alone. You shouldn't feel resentful about my comment, if you do, I apologize. It is the truth though....

Regarding money, I thought this was REALLY interesting.

https://twitter.com/momentsboa/status/1177591716083167232?s=21

P.S. I am a fan of the Dripping Springs program as well!

Those figures are interesting, but don’t tell the full story at all on income. You have to consider the specific geography in question.

Flower Mound and Vista Ridge should go up, and Marcus and Cedar Park down even though they’re in the same city. Vandegrift and Westlake would at least double, and Bowie would go up at least 50%. Reagan and CTJ would both at least double, and CTJ might get close to triple the San Antonio figure. Homestead and Park Vista also would both stand to go up since they’re only pulling from the wealthiest parts of their cities. Timber Creek’s value is a lot closer to Keller’s. Cedar Ridge pulls from probably the wealthiest part of that district (although Avery Ranch might actually skew the calculus in Round Rock’s favor).

A better test would be to use the home zip code of each school. Additionally, some states publish median income data for a given school.

I noticed that too. The person that made that obviously didn’t understand Texas cities!

Those figures are interesting, but don’t tell the full story at all on income. You have to consider the specific geography in question.

Flower Mound and Vista Ridge should go up, and Marcus and Cedar Park down even though they’re in the same city. Vandegrift and Westlake would at least double, and Bowie would go up at least 50%. Reagan and CTJ would both at least double, and CTJ might get close to triple the San Antonio figure. Homestead and Park Vista also would both stand to go up since they’re only pulling from the wealthiest parts of their cities. Timber Creek’s value is a lot closer to Keller’s. Cedar Ridge pulls from probably the wealthiest part of that district (although Avery Ranch might actually skew the calculus in Round Rock’s favor).

A better test would be to use the home zip code of each school. Additionally, some states publish median income data for a given school.

Cedar Ridge is sort of an anomaly since we pull the majority of our band students from Ridgeview Middle School which pulls from three fairly wealthy neighborhoods in Round Rock. Our second feeder, CD Fulkes, comes from a lower income area and has underfunded extracurriculars which lowers the amount of participation in the arts over there. This partially explains the lower amount of students that do marching band over here.

Yea that money chart is misleading and incorrect It is just considering the income of the entire city. When it comes to bands IN the city of Austin (Westlake, bowie, and vandegrift) these are all in the super nice parts of Austin, where the houses are bigger and incomes bigger. Westlake and vandegrift and Lake Travis  are all on the west side of Austin, which is one of the wealthiest communities in Texas. 

Yea that money chart is misleading and incorrect It is just considering the income of the entire city. When it comes to bands IN the city of Austin (Westlake, bowie, and vandegrift) these are all in the super nice parts of Austin, where the houses are bigger and incomes bigger. Westlake and vandegrift and Lake Travis  are all on the west side of Austin, which is one of the wealthiest communities in Texas. 

if we look at the % of students living in Poverty by District according to the SAIPE data (2016 most recent data available)

San Felipe-Del Rio - includes Del Rio HS  30%

Austin ISD - includes Bowie 17% 

NEISD - includes CTJ, Reagan, and Churchill  12%

Conroe ISD - Includes TWHS and TW-CP  11%

Lewisville ISD - includes FloMo, Marcus and Hebron  8%

Round Rock ISD - includes CR, McNeil, Westwood and Stoney Point   6%

Coppell ISD - includes Coppell 6%

Leander ISD - includes CP, Glenn, Leander, Rouse, Vandy, Vista Ridge  5%

food for thought...

Having money allows a program to focus on getting stuff done. They don't have to worry as much about how to afford to get stuff done. Money alone is not sufficient to have success, but it certainly does act as a good lubricant to turn the wheels a little easier.

I would also point out that median rather than average is probably a better statistic. Some places may have enclaves of senior corporate executives or old money areas that can really skew averages.