Vandy - I love the rich royal blue of the props and uniforms and how it contrasts with the white. Mozart is basically Vandy’s brand and I think it’s cool how they embrace that for a Nats show. Fantastic musical and visual cleanliness. Wow trumpets. I love this arrangement so urgent and powerful. They use plumes in such an expressive way. The ballad is awesome, gorgeous drill. So clean. Wow!

Wow! Vandy is probably my #1 so far! That ballad is so good, and they play those runs with an absurd amount of clarity for this early in the season. Awesome stuff. Cedar Ridge is currently my #2, I might be a little biased as an alumni but I really really enjoyed their performance, and I think a concept as simple as chess is really great to see executed well.

My Top 4

Vandegrift making a shot for the eagle...:) they are outstanding this early in the season, making classical music as their signature.

Leander ready to fight and prove they won't be forgotten anytime soon...and toxic by Britney, dang! This is one of my favorite's this season.

Vista Ridge the reigning state champion just came out of nowhere, they will be a force later this season. They have made a lasting impression with their show design's always on point!

Cedar Ridge....they are like a Marcus with more diverse music selection. They use technical skill to make finals.This Band could one day win, I think they are waiting for the right moment to strike.

Vandy was seriously so good. It absolutely amazes me how clean they are through and through. If they had a guard that contributed to the visual aspect of the show more, they would be unstoppable.

Just checked HornRank. BOA San Antonio 2017 - their last “BOA show” - they were second in visual GE only to CTJ by .15. I see this conversation get brought up every year but am not convinced it’s a real issue. Can anyone with extensive knowledge of the judging handbook comment on if having a dance team actually inhibits Vandegrift? Purely curious, not an attack

Just checked HornRank. BOA San Antonio 2017 - their last “BOA show” they were second in visual GE only to CTJ by .15. I see this conversation get brought up every year but am not convinced it’s a real issue. Can anyone with extensive knowledge of the judging handbook comment on if having a dance team actually inhibits Vandegrift? Purely curious, not an attack

I don’t have extensive knowledge of the rules but personally I prefer the way that a color guard, with predominantly flags and weapons, compliments the music. Also GE is more music heavy so that’s where Vandy shines. It very well couldn’t be an issue at all. Vandy’s music usually outperforms their visual in performance caption and GE. So I think a more accomplished guard could benefit them. I know this isn’t the answer your looking for but it’s my take on it I guess.

Just checked HornRank. BOA San Antonio 2017 - their last “BOA show” - they were second in visual GE only to CTJ by .15. I see this conversation get brought up every year but am not convinced it’s a real issue. Can anyone with extensive knowledge of the judging handbook comment on if having a dance team actually inhibits Vandegrift? Purely curious, not an attack

I don't think it does. It comes down to how you design a show that best presents the strengths and minimizes the weaknesses. Visual GE is not just color guard - it is the entire visual presentation and how it meshes with the show and causes people to watch.

It probably effects their Visual Caption (Individual) more than anything. There's more recently been a rule where more complex guardwork is rewarded in that category. But the complaints that it hurts their GE are pretty baseless opinions that more reflect the persons want for a colorguard. The Woodlands won visual GE in 2013 with a guard that was far, far below the level of Avon and Carmel technically. It was how they were used and the rest of the show's visual elements.

It probably effects their Visual Caption (Individual) more than anything. There's more recently been a rule where more complex guardwork is rewarded in that category. But the complaints that it hurts their GE are pretty baseless opinions that more reflect the persons want for a colorguard. The Woodlands won visual GE in 2013 with a guard that was far, far below the level of Avon and Carmel technically. It was how they were used and the rest of the show's visual elements.

Thank you. Didn’t quite understand how guard performance gets factored into visual performance. This helps!

So, has anyone kept count of how many "Strong Finalists" so far"?   Going to be interesting to see who get's a spot, so many good bands!

My opinion:

Vandegrift, Cedar Ridge, Vista Ridge, Leander, and James Bowie are safely in finals so far. The other 5 spots are up for grabs. CTJ will probably grab one, though.