2018 BOA San Antonio?

Am I the only one who thinks it’s already been a bizarre and completely unpredictable season? With the crazy weather affecting everything from football game performances to BOA performances, all of the band director changes, the rise of some unexpected bands along with the seeming fall of some of our favorites, only one TX band headed to GN, and just an overall feeling of not having a clue what is going to happen in the coming weeks.....it just feels WEIRD. Unsettling even. I can’t exactly put into words what I am trying to say here. I am just finding it to be the most peculiar season I’ve experienced to date in the band world. And I’m not sure I like it.

I just listened to Leander’s full show and wow they sound amazing. Hearing Danzon on the field was pretty weird though because last year we played it for concert season, we had a trumpet solo rather than a trombone though. I can’t wait to see how they do here.

Just curious because I haven’t heard that part of Leander’s show yet, which Danzón are they doing? Because there’s like 4 or 5 by Marquez.

Am I the only one who thinks it’s already been a bizarre and completely unpredictable season? With the crazy weather affecting everything from football game performances to BOA performances, all of the band director changes, the rise of some unexpected bands along with the seeming fall of some of our favorites, only one TX band headed to GN, and just an overall feeling of not having a clue what is going to happen in the coming weeks.....it just feels WEIRD. Unsettling even. I can’t exactly put into words what I am trying to say here. I am just finding it to be the most peculiar season I’ve experienced to date in the band world. And I’m not sure I like it.

Oh! I was right there with you up until, "And I'm not sure I like it."

While nobody has been nearly as dominant as Marcus and bell were it is interesting to note that since the woodlands winning in 13 only two bands have won the San Antonio super. Which are CTJ and Flower Mound. They may not be trading spots 1 and 2 but they have been trading wins and I would not be surprised to see that continue this year.

Thank you! I had just happened to find a video of their show right before you responded and I figured out which one it is.

Also, wow. I just have to say that I love Leander’s show more and more each time I watch it.

It’s a quirky one for sure, as per usual for Leander. But I like it and they sure sound good. I’m obviously biased, so I try to not say too much about Leander here on the forum, but they have my heart, and they look fantastic this season to me! :)

While there are a lot of things I'm... not a fan of this season, the unsettled nature isn't one of them. This feels like a huge changing of the guard in Texas. The last time it felt this way was a little 2011 and a LOT 2013. Many of the same dynamics then are in play now. Tons of director changes, tons of new programs popping up, some middle of the pack programs really hitting the upper echelon. In a way 2005-2007 worked the EXACT same way. If we assume this happens every six years... guess what time it is? Let's draw some parallels to see just how exciting this time is, using 2005-2007 and 2011-2013 as goal posts:

• The fall of the greats. In the first era, Reagan fell off (momentarily of course) by 2007 and Churchill wasn't far behind. Richland also began to fall back. In the second era, we see Marcus and Bell fall out of the top 2 in BOA by 2013, and Bell out of the top 2 at State. SFA also lost its luster - a little in the first era and quite some bit in the second.
  • The rise of new powers. Marcus arrived in full force by 2006, and Bell started its run in 2005. TWHS also made a huge mark in GN in 2006. Hebron really broke into the top 5 in 2012 and 2013, TWHS further cemented itself with their GN win, and Vandegrift started growing will full force. And I have to of course mention Johnson, which rose through the ranks tremendously fast.
  • Shifting of power regions. Houston was the center of power for the band world until about 2005, especially because Spring, Westfield and SFA all stopped going to state. Around 2006, this totally shifted over to Dallas. While not wholly complete, Austin and San Antonio really started to take the reigns by the end of 2013.
  • Major director changes. In that first era of 2005-2007 (and a slight stretch to 2008), we see directors leave from Churchill, Langham Creek, Reagan, SFA, Haltom, and Westfield. In the second era, Bowie (RIP), Duncanville, SFA (again), Berkner, 
  • Light GN participation - this doesn't work on as clean a cycle as what I have above, but a light 2008 followed very heavy participation from 2005 to 2007, and a light 2014 followed a decent-ish crowd from 2011-2013. Notably, both 2009 and 2015 were monster years. 2015-2017 have all been quite heavy, so it is likely that this is the reset year.
  • Newish schools make their marks. Unfortunately none of the schools that opened in the direct 2005-2007 period truly became something special super quickly, but there are some notable bands. Legacy moved quickly, but fizzled out a little quickly too. Wakeland would also fit, but they grew a bit later from this time period. The 2011-2013 era is clearly different. Vandegrift and Cedar Ridge alone make this point clear. CTJ fits into this too, if a slight bit early. Lake Ridge also showed huge promise during this time too.
  • Small schools get big. Hebron, Coppell and Cedar Park all come to mind from 2005-2007. Lake Travis points to this in the 2011-2013 era, as well
  • Complete surprises. Clear Brook and Colleyville Heritage both looked like the next big thing during this time. Flower Mound, Round Rock, and Anderson come out of NOWHERE and make a big splash around 2011-2013. Plano East also makes a good run in this time period.

All of this to say is, this is an EXCITING time to be a fan of band in Texas. I think we can see that by assessing the above, some of what we see playing out this season (and last, and I'm sure next) starts to fit cleanly into the categories. Of course, nobody has been as dominant from 2012-2018 as Bell and Marcus were from 2005-2012, but the rest of the parallels are fun to draw.

Very interesting! And with LD Bell winning GN in 2007 and The Woodlands in 2013, can we assume that a Texas band will win GN in 2019?

Very interesting! And with LD Bell winning GN in 2007 and The Woodlands in 2013, can we assume that a Texas band will win GN in 2019?

With the rumored contingent of Texas bands going next year it definitely wouldn't be a shock to see one of them win. I don't want to downplay this season at all, but next year is gonna be a treat.

I didn’t mean that I didn’t like this season. I meant that I didn’t like feeling weird and uncertain about it.

Like I said, I wasn’t explaining very well what I wanted to say. :/

You were clear and I completely understand. Would it be weird to say that from your comments you and my wife seem to have a lot in common. (Pre-school, uncertainty, etc.) I'm just unusually comfortable with uncertainty so this is fantastic for me. It also doesn't hurt that Keller is one of bands causing some uncertainty with their potential upside.

Locks: In alphabetical order

CTJ

Flower Mound 

Hebron 

James Bowie

Keller 

Leander 

Reagan

Vandegrift

Vista Ridge

The Woodlands 

Hard to see missing finals but are not locks: 

Cedar Park

Cedar Ridge

Hendrickson

competing for the last slot

Marcus (?) unsure of placement. 

Churchill (could grab slots 11-14)

Round Rock (could grab slots 11-14)

others: 

Timber Creek 

Seven Lakes 

Cy Fair

Locks: In alphabetical order

CTJ

Flower Mound

Hebron

James Bowie

Keller

Leander

Reagan

Vandegrift

Vista Ridge

The Woodlands

Hard to see missing finals but are not locks:

Cedar Park

Cedar Ridge

Hendrickson

competing for the last slot

Marcus (?) unsure of placement.

Churchill (could grab slots 11-14)

Round Rock (could grab slots 11-14)

others:

Timber Creek

Seven Lakes

Cy Fair

Also could grab spots if improve :

Haltom

LD Bell

You were clear and I completely understand. Would it be weird to say that from your comments you and my wife seem to have a lot in common. (Pre-school, uncertainty, etc.) I'm just unusually comfortable with uncertainty so this is fantastic for me. It also doesn't hurt that Keller is one of bands causing some uncertainty with their potential upside.

Ha, not weird at all. That’s great. And Preschool life is the best life! :)

I’m really pulling for Keller this year. They’re always one of my favorites. In fact their cloud show (Ascend?) was one of my all time favorites a few years back!

Ha, not weird at all. That’s great. And Preschool life is the best life! :)

I’m really pulling for Keller this year. They’re always one of my favorites. In fact their cloud show (Ascend?) was one of my all time favorites a few years back!

Yes it was in fact ascent, and that is one of my favorite shows as well.