2018 BOA San Antonio?

When we were at Nationals in 2015 and the Finals list had just been announced the people around us were gushing about all the Texas bands and particularly Hebron's 1st place performance in Semi-Finals. You should have seen the looks on their faces as I explained how Hebron had just finished 3rd in their own school district. Absolutely unforgettable!

I was really hoping Hebron was gonna win it all that year

Im not going to lie- that Hebron show feels more like a saxophone performance with background marching band. But when you sound that good, who is complaining? Hebron seems to have mastered the jazzy ballad.

Haha, I feel that way this year with Hendrickson, but sub out Saxophone for clarinet. It's more than alright with me though, cause that soloist is killing it!

Im not going to lie- that Hebron show feels more like a saxophone performance with background marching band. But when you sound that good, who is complaining? Hebron seems to have mastered the jazzy ballad.

During the ballad yeah, that was the whole point. The musical prowess the band showed during that show was incredible to say the least.

I was really hoping Hebron was gonna win it all that year

They did win, somebody just didn't tell all the judges.

When we saw Hebron's show that year at BOA DFW I told my wife, "That kid is going to get a recording contract and a whole generation will be conceived to his music. Then I checked Twitter for reaction to the show and the first comment said, "I think I was just impregnated!"

What's the Hebron rule?

The top half of bands that make finals go in the last half of the performance slots during finals, and vice versa. The rule was put in place because Hebron performed near the end of semis in Grand Nats, won semis, then had to go first in finals, which ultimately negatively impacted their score. The following year (or it might’ve been last year, I can’t remember), BOA put in the so-called “Hebron rule.”

EDIT: Of course someone beat me to it.

What's the Hebron rule?

Finals performance order used to be completely random but now it's split into randomized 6-10 followed by randomized 1-5.

The change happened after 2015 GN. Hebron was so clearly first after Semi-Finals but drew the first performance time in Finals and many felt it cost them the Eagle.

(And I apologize, I knew I should have included the explanation too.)

I think the reason why it didn’t happen after TWHS was because they also had a really gnarly electronics failure that contributed to their drop and made it difficult to say performance time was why they lost. Also, at least a couple of bands had won from the second time slot, which made the argument have less heft at that time.

I think the reason why it didn’t happen after TWHS was because they also had a really gnarly electronics failure that contributed to their drop and made it difficult to say performance time was why they lost. Also, at least a couple of bands had won from the second time slot, which made the argument have less heft at that time.

Speaking of the magic of performance slot: did Bell and TWHS both win the eagle going third?