UIL 6A 2023 State Marching Band Contest (Oct. 30. & 31)

LeanderMomma

I understand money rules everything around us, but you would think UIL would be embarrassed to be putting out such an inferior product. I think maybe there's a state law that says they have to accept the lowest offer by any vendor and NFHS just lowballed everyone else trying to bid for the contract?

In any case I'm willing to give NFHS the benefit of the doubt and if people say that the prelims broadcast looks and sounds good, I'll pay for finals. Otherwise I'll just wait for Grand Nats to roll around...

2 minutes ago, Asaiah said:

I understand money rules everything around us, but you would think UIL would be embarrassed to be putting out such an inferior product. I think maybe there's a state law that says they have to accept the lowest offer by any vendor and NFHS just lowballed everyone else trying to bid for the contract?

In any case I'm willing to give NFHS the benefit of the doubt and if people say that the prelims broadcast looks and sounds good, I'll pay for finals. Otherwise I'll just wait for Grand Nats to roll around...

I am willing to bet you'll be waiting until the GN's. NFHS is the absolute bottom and worst streaming service out there, but is the only way to watch remotely and literally better than nothing. Well, at least with nothing, you won't be wearing yourself out being angry and swearing all day.

To be entirely honest, I haven’t seen any contest streaming service NOT get hate. Flo gets dragged through the mud every DCI season, and Box5 has definitely dropped the ball this season. Quite frankly, I miss when Flo streamed BOA, it seemed to legitimize the sport aspect of the activity. As previously stated above, NFHS is definitely the worst, but I’m curious what people would say is the best alternative.

2 hours ago, LostChoirGuy said:

Box 5 has issues with what seems to be server overload, but the content when available is well done.  The audio usually is balanced decently and they know how to film marching band.  NFHS just have no idea what they are doing.  I've seen them ignore the sections that are in the middle of a feature to zoom in on a section of students that aren't playing or moving at all.  I've even seen them zoom in on the drum majors.  I recall there being big issues with audio quality too but I might be making that up.  I just know that they don't really know what they are doing when it comes to marching band.

I think Flo has gotten better based on the quality of the DCI recordings. In the past, I felt that Box5’s were better with their visual and audio quality than Flo. Box5 looked clearer, more vibrant, and sounded clearer as well. 

I remember someone last year saying that NFHS’s audio quality sounded like the performers were backfield all the time and I see what they mean. And there were issues with the color saturation (e.g. blues looking like purples or vice versa, I think). As well as ill-timed camera panning and zooming. 

yeah I want someone else, too. Lol