UIL 6A 2023 State Marching Band Contest (Oct. 30. & 31)

LeanderMomma

1 hour ago, Dallas Hobbs said:

music ensemble is Woodwinds + Brass + Percussion. The judge is keeping in mind how well the sections play simultaneously. 

Unfortunately, this is only part of the score.  The days of just having a Music caprion at UIL State are over (though Area still uses that).  It actually functions much more like the BOA caption of the same name, which takes into account the construction of the arrangements (from an effect standpoint) and how well the band executes that.  "You could really have more range of expression" is a comment heard on these tapes that just means "I want you to play louder here".  

4 minutes ago, aaron067 said:

Unfortunately, this is only part of the score.  The days of just having a Music caprion at UIL State are over (though Area still uses that).  It actually functions much more like the BOA caption of the same name, which takes into account the construction of the arrangements (from an effect standpoint) and how well the band executes that.  "You could really have more range of expression" is a comment heard on these tapes that just means "I want you to play louder here".  

I honestly don’t understand how they interpret the captions differently between BOA and UIL. Things like “range of expression” (dynamic contrast, shaping etc.), intonation, balance, technique, these are universally important criteria to judge a performance based on. 

I'm still new to the whole band scene but after attending 2 years worth of contests I still don't have much of a clue as to which band is better than others and why.  Sure seems like a large portion is just biased towards the size of the bands and how loud they can play.  Anyone else feel like this?

I've noticed it in the individual sections as well, especially the percussion/front ensemble.  Less people less sound teens to lead to lower scores even though some of the music seems more difficult or sounds cleaner,  

Finally saw the Vandergriff (sp?) performance. Truly amazing and worthy of state title. 

Was excited to see Marcus at 2, as I really enjoyed their show this year. 

Was humored by the surprise some showed over where their bands finished based on how they did at other contest. So many factors and can never take out the subjective. 

Guess some bands didnt get selfies with event coordinator chairs at state. So sad. 

• 2 weeks later...