UIL 6A 2023 State Marching Band Contest (Oct. 30. & 31)

LeanderMomma

I’m curious if someone could explain how the judging works for state?   There are 12 judges, do they have panels like BOA super regional/grand nats? And what are the judging categories?

Judges for 6a- Steve Bentley, Jeff Brooks, Darrin Davis, Glenn Fugett, Mark Hoskins, Jay Kennedy, Kyle Miller, Carl Nelson, Chris Romanowski, Mike Stone, Jim Sturgeon, Steve Wessels

33 minutes ago, stix said:

I’m curious if someone could explain how the judging works for state?   There are 12 judges, do they have panels like BOA super regional/grand nats? And what are the judging categories?

Judges for 6a- Steve Bentley, Jeff Brooks, Darrin Davis, Glenn Fugett, Mark Hoskins, Jay Kennedy, Kyle Miller, Carl Nelson, Chris Romanowski, Mike Stone, Jim Sturgeon, Steve Wessels

Seven Judge system, I assume they have more than seven to rotate between performances.

The categories are: music ensemble, brass, woodwinds, percussion, visual ensemble, visual individual, and content/design. Ordinal system for ranking, judge’s preference for tie breakers. listen to the danpod podcast from state last season to get a better explanation.

https://www.uiltexas.org/files/music/UIL_5A-6A_State_Judge_Manual_(7-judge).pdf

36 minutes ago, stix said:

If I had to guess, I'd speculate that the 12 judges are cumulative across the two days, especially when you consider that 5 of the 12 judges listed for 6A are also listed to judge 2A on Tuesday. 

7 minutes ago, urmom292 said:

predictions of finalist (not placements)

hebron

vista

vandy

coppell

flower mound

ronald reagan

pearland

round rock

the woodlands

marcus

ctj 

keller

waxahachie 

dripping springs/westwood/bridgeland/ld bell

(bubble for finals)

timber creek

westalke

lake travis

It most likely will be sometime like this, but predicting placements here is impossible 

17 hours ago, BandFan59 said:

If anyone in the DFW area is interested in seeing some of the top bands perform live before state, Coppell is hosting a Show of Shows at their stadium on Saturday, October 28th at 5:30 PM as a send off for state. Hebron, Coppell, Keller, and Flower Mound will all perform and admission is free, though they're also taking donations for homeless shelters. None of these four will be at BOA San Antonio, so if you're not able to attend the state marching contest this will be one of the only opportunities to see them live before the end of the season.

Do you have more information about the Show of Shows? I can't find it online with the exception of someone's Smores posting and that says 4:00pm.

1 hour ago, LostChoirGuy said:

Anyone know if show of shows will be livestreamed?  I imagine there might be someone recording at least.  

I am a Coppell band parent/booster; I know this is not the answer you were looking for, but it is No to a live stream for the Show of Shows on 10/28th. We hope to see you there!

Based on what I have seen and my knowledge, here are my early predictions:
1. Woodlands
2. Vandegrift
3. Hebron
4. Marcus 
5. Reagan
6. Flowermound
7. Vista Ridge
8. Pearland
9. Coppell
10. Round Rock
11. CTJ
12. LD Bell
13. Dripping Springs
14. Cypress Woods
————-
Outs and Horses:
15. Westwood
16. Bridgeland OR Wax
17-20. Cy-Fair, Westlake, other bands up here.

14 minutes ago, beffjezos said:

1. Hebron

2. Woodlands

3. Vandergrift

4. Marcus

5. Vista

6. Reagan

7. Flomo 

8. CTJ

9. Pearland

10. RR

11. Bridgeland

12. Cy-Fair

13. Waxahachie

14. Keller/LD Bell

Bubble (in no particular order):

Dripping Springs, Westwood, North Shore, Westlake, Timber Creek, LT, Dickinson, Clear Brook, Prosper

big fan of North Shore and could see something happening similar to 2016 when they made finals.... do not sleep on them

I absolutely agree with you on North Shore. They are giving me 2016 vibes again. I think with a great run, they could seriously go into Finals. AWESOME show too! One of my favorites of the year.