2019 BOA Dallas/ Fort Worth Regional

Great contest! Hebron was awesome but Flower Mound definitely deserved that win. Their marching was impeccable, the music amazing and the bottom line is that they had a beautifully well done COMPLETE show so there was more to give them points for. If Hebron had had a complete show as well, the point difference between the two would have been less. But Flower Mound just killed it last night!

When your band has one music judge put you 4th, but the other one puts you in 11th.

Seems legit

Take a look through the scores, you'll see several variations just like that. Prosper for example was 9th with one and 16th with the other, so the same ordinal difference. At our contest, TWHS was 3rd with one and 9th with the other. It happens and is totally legit. GE is a little tricky, and most of us don't really know what the judges are looking for to get a high GE score, and since they are different people looking for/at different things, then there will often be ordinal/score variations like that, especially when there are 30+ bands (let alone 90 or 100+ at San Antonio or Grand Nationals (ok, 80+ at GN this year)).

Keller Central made finals, which probably means that overall the judges got it right. That is really what is most important - get the right bands in finals so they can be judged directly against each other.

I was in the audience for finals. I don’t agree that Flower Mound was that much better than everyone else; however, I will agree they should have won. I liked last year’s show more, though. I don’t necessarily agree with some of the placements of the lower bands. Prosper should have been in finals over Keller Central, just my opinion. Waxahachie needs cleaning, but their show is better than 8th place. Wakeland has improved quite a bit over the years, but not better than some of the bands that placed lower.

Looking at the scores it was visual GE that really opened the gap between flomo and Hebron. I watched the high cam stream and if I'm being honest I completely understand that score choice. I love Hebron's musical selections but I'd be lying if I said their visual program hasn't left something to be desired for me most years. Still over a month out from nats though, and I'm sure Hebron got some great feedback on the tapes to help shape the show going forward.

Someone fell during Marcus’s show in prelims. She got right back up and into the form, but that may be the issue.

Also, I think the FloMo/Hebron gap is weird, but my friends there said finals was a particularly rough run for them. Given that, FloMo isn’t a 2.35 point higher band. They just had a better night.

Frankly, my brother and I feel like the props look somewhat ugly and that the concept/theme isn't as strong as it could be?

I agree. The props are really cheesy. Since 2017, Keller has been pretty quirky with visual design choices, but like in a good way. This year feels childish and immature in my opinion.

Prelims Marcus 13th in Individual Visual, Finals 2nd haha. Not even finalist worthy to almost the best.

So is the individual visual based on the technique and skill level of the individual marching performers? Aledo got scored pretty low there in prelims and curious as to what's involved there.

Visual judging in high school marching band always complexes me. I don’t quite agree with the placements of each of the groups on an individual and ensemble basis. It’s probably the only thing I’m competent enough on to comment.

The most impressive groups to me movement wise were:

Flower Mound

Keller

Marcus

Hebron

In that order.

I did guarantee the people that I was with that Keller would not be scored top 3 visual when they were easily the most impressive. Hebron moves well but just wasn’t as visually interesting. But the season is early and I am always impressed by the kids these days.

Just some quick thoughts.

Flower Mound was fantastic! They performed so well and had many great moments. I think they deserved their win, but was not expecting that score gap and caption sweep. Especially in music. Having a "complete" show was definitely very nice to watch they always have such well designed shows.

Hebron had so much depth to their sound and it was amazing. I personally was hoping for them to win but all is well. Maybe not enough depth in their show just yet? Anybody know of any other contest that they plan to attend besides SA?

I felt like Marcus' show had a touch of magic that I didn't get last week. The moment where the band members were in a circle and looked like that they were writing in books was beautiful. I love how the show is coming together. Guard was fantastic as usual and a very lush ensemble sound.

Keller sounded amazing. I was very out of it last week but I felt like they had a much better performance tonight and I'm very happy that they are continuing to increase their difficulty every year. Frankly, my brother and I feel like the props look somewhat ugly and that the concept/theme isn't as strong as it could be?

LD Bell. I love their opening movement soo much and their closer. They lose me a bit in-between but I'm liking this show more than last year. Can't wait to see how they do at St. Louis. 

Soo happy with where Wakeland placed. I personally had them in 6th myself but was not all that confident that they would actually place that high. My older brother tagged along for the first time and they were his favorite. A very crowd friendly show and I'm so ecstatic for them.

Coppell's show was hauntingly beautiful and eerie. Their uniforms reminded me of Phantom Regiment and I love how they used their capes. Still trying to wrap my head around the show theme though.

Didn't get to catch Waxahachie but I remember bits from last week. Specifically the ballad and an awesome soloist. Thankfully I'll get to see them in Waco. It's really too bad they don't compete at SA.

Timber Creek. Very happy to see that they made finals. They still looked and sounded great and I loved the comedic text on their props but I'm not sure how far this show can take them. Very strong sound though. I sat near the top and it just hits you. It'll be good for me to see all of the KISD shows again on Tuesday at the Marching Expo.

Also did not get to see KC in finals. Saw that they added more to the props though and know how fun this show is. One thought I had last week was that it felt too much like a halftime performance with pep tunes and what not. Overjoyed that they were able to make finals and not even as the alternate due to Owasso's incident. 3 KISD bands in finals, woo!

Time to go searching the internet for videos. (P.S. there is a video about a particular show related to stars)

Hebron will be attending the UIL Regional, Duncanville Invitational, SA, and Nats

Also, did Keller's guard seem noticeably smaller this year? And maybe i'm just now noticing but I've seen so many double swing flags in ballads this year.

Yes, the guard is definitely smaller this year. Just over 40 this year compared to it think around 60 last year. I think they might have lost the middle school guard program or maybe there was a fall off after Macy’s.

I’ll go farther and say that Keller’s guard staging was not effective. The flag line is staged behind the band like in DCI but the line is too small and the work isn’t as eye catching as DCI for that staging to work. Also, the Cape Fear hit should be a swing flag moment. There needs to be a larger visual presence to match the massive sound.

I was in the audience for finals. I don’t agree that Flower Mound was that much better than everyone else; however, I will agree they should have won. I liked last year’s show more, though. I don’t necessarily agree with some of the placements of the lower bands. Prosper should have been in finals over Keller Central, just my opinion. Waxahachie needs cleaning, but their show is better than 8th place. Wakeland has improved quite a bit over the years, but not better than some of the bands that placed lower.

I thought it was clear that Wakeland was at the top of the lower half of finals, In fact I thought the spread between them and Bell was too large.

Here are some personal thoughts regarding the competition last night:

If anything was made clear, I think it’s that all the returning SA finalists (FloMo, Hebron, Marcus, Keller, and Bell) have really stepped it up this year. And what I love most about this season is that each band is embracing their “brand” and what makes them unique more than ever. FloMo is still super artsy and eccentric, and Hebron is still simple in theme but has insane musical depth. Marcus is still quirky, whimsical, and sophisticated. I wasn’t feeling Marcus’ show in prelims but after finals, I just loved it. Keller still tries to work a strong inspirational message into the theme while pushing more difficulty every year, and Bell has that super recognizable and striking visual style (I know I said I would like to see them ditch Cartwright, but I take that back. I just really want to see the kids given a product that challenges them and can peak at the right time).

Wakeland blew me away with their cleanliness and depth of design. Coppell had such a unique yet simple visual design paired with intense and emotional music. Waxahachie was just plain fun, and it was so nice to see TC and KC in finals.