2019 BOA Grand National Championships

I don’t think Carmel’s music in 2017 had heavy crowd appeal. Or for some second place MGE examples, BA in 2014, or 2015. Avon is playing an interesting book with a ton of content and clever references that judges—and the audience—can pick up and appreciate. That’ll be enough to shoot their MGE up.

I don't know about that (re: Carmel 2017) - I do think there was crowd appeal that went around in the full package. There weren't so many "Ah-ha" moments, but it was crystal clear what they were trying to do thematically (yes, I saw it live in Indy that year). I don't believe, at least from this video (and I certainly reserve the right to change my mind after viewing in person), that Avon is quite that clear. Carmel wasn't trying to put across a music theory idea, they were trying to put across "Serenity", and they did.

Edited to be clear I was writing about Carmel '17

Edited by TWHSParent

Ugh...I don't want to like it, but it's hard not to. It checks all the boxes and doesn't have any real fatal flaws. No one from Texas will touch that visually (I don't think the drill is anything too special, but they do it really well and the guard is just unreal...do they ever drop anything???), and it's good enough musically to finish 2nd/3rd, while being very accessible and well rounded enough to take the GE caption. I also hate the narration (sounds like a less integrated version of Crown 2013), and it's obviously not the most innovative show (the modern references are cute, I'll admit), but this definitely reduces my hopes for Team Texas....But not to zero.

But I'll definitely prefer this show taking the eagle over Carmel this year.

And yes, they had drops during the show :), not even Avon's guard is perfect all the time. 

Haha, fine, maybe a little bit of hyperbole, but the things they are doing are incredible (and doing well), and a lot more risky than the show as a whole. I'm not a guard guy by any means, but i can't take my eyes off of them. 

I'm behind on my guard knowledge...who is considered the upper echelon of guards in Texas?

Haha, fine, maybe a little bit of hyperbole, but the things they are doing are incredible (and doing well), and a lot more risky than the show as a whole. I'm not a guard guy by any means, but i can't take my eyes off of them. 

I'm behind on my guard knowledge...who is considered the upper echelon of guards in Texas?

In WGI the schools are at basically 3 levels - "Scholastic A", "Scholastic Open", and "Scholastic World". Currently Texas has James Bowie, Marcus, Claudia Taylor Johnson, and The Woodlands in Scholastic World (Did I miss any?). In Scholastic Open and Scholastic A, we have lots of programs so I won't list them. So, for now, I guess those 4 in Scholastic World would be the top ones in Texas? Did any from Texas jump from Scholastic Open to World for this upcoming season?

Yep. I think they're easily the best band in the country right now. Amazing visuals, amazing music, unbelievable guard -- it's all there. One of the more obvious Eagle contenders in recent years.

The closer is a bit dirtier than the rest of the show, but they'll have it clean by Nationals. I love how they play a few pop tunes that are based on Pachelbel's Canon, like Green Day's Basket Case. Pretty clever. I could do with a few fewer "8 notes!" narrations. I think we got the point the first time around. But it's a minor quibble. All in all, it's a fantastic show. I'll be surprised if the Eagle doesn't stay in Indiana this year.

Basket Case has a special place in my heart given that it is my college's fourth quarter song we always play, but I like the arrangement. I agree about the narration. That's the part I don't like. The closer is such a high impact/energy moment that I suspect will get a well deserved standing ovation come Finals night.

From the HornRank forums...

Prelims Schedule as of 10/22/2019

Thursday, November 14th

(PANEL ONE)
9:30 Wilmington H.S., OH
9:45 Mount Pleasant H.S., MI
10:00 Hamilton H.S., OH
10:15 East Central H.S., IN
10:30 Columbus North H.S., IN
10:45 Estill County H.S., KY
11:00 Plymouth-Canton E.P., MI
11:15 Christian Academy of Louisville, KY
11:30 Bellbrook H.S., OH

BREAK

(PANEL TWO)
12:15 Cabell Midland H.S., WV
12:30 Tippecanoe H.S., OH
12:45 Walter E. Stebbins H.S., OH
1:00 Campbell County H.S., KY
1:15 Milford H.S., OH
1:30 Jenison H.S., MI
1:45 Fairborn H.S., OH
2:00 Lake Central H.S., IN
2:15 Chattahoochee H.S., GA
2:30 Miamisburg H.S., OH

BREAK

(PANEL ONE)
3:15 La Salle H.S., OH
3:30 Bishop Fenwick H.S., OH
3:45 Lake Hamilton H.S., AR
4:00 Floyd Central H.S., IN
4:15 Piqua H.S., OH
4:30 John Hardin H.S., KY
4:45 Logan Elm H.S., OH
5:00 Lakota West H.S., OH
5:15 East Clinton H.S., OH
5:30 Centerville H.S., OH
5:45 Union H.S., OK
6:00 Homestead H.S., IN
6:15 Woodford County H.S., KY

BREAK

(PANEL TWO)
7:00 North Hardin H.S., KY
7:15 Greendale H.S., WI
7:30 Ada H.S., OH
7:45 William Mason H.S., OH
8:00 Avon H.S., IN
8:15 Center Grove H.S., IN
8:30 Lawrence Township H.S., IN
8:45 Ben Davis H.S., IN
9:00 Carmel H.S., IN
9:15 Bassett H.S., VA
9:30 Park Vista H.S., FL
9:45 Claudia Taylor Johnson H.S., TX
10:00 James F. Byrnes H.S., SC

Friday, November 15th

(PANEL ONE)
8:15 Panther Creek H.S., NC
8:30 James Madison H.S., VA
8:45 Rock Ridge H.S., VA
9:00 West Cateret H.S., NC
9:15 Vandegrift H.S., TX
9:30 Neosho H.S., MO
9:45 Hebron H.S., TX
10:00 Leander H.S., TX
10:15 The Woodlands H.S., TX
10:30 Ayala H.S., CA
10:45 Lake Park H.S., IL

11:00 Indianapolis Public Schools Music Showcase

(PANEL TWO)
11:30 Harrison H.S., GA
11:45 Independence H.S., IA
12:00 Carlisle H.S., OH
12:15 Lewis Cass H.S., IN
12:30 Carroll H.S., OH
12:45 Beechwood H.S., KY
1:00 Hurricane H.S., WV
1:15 Avon H.S., OH
1:30 Fishers H.S., IN
1:45 Warren Local H.S., OH
(PANEL ONE)
2:00 Windermere H.S., FL
2:15 Lebanon H.S., OH
2:30 Goodpasture Christian School, TN
2:45 Metamora Township H.S., IL
3:00 Loveland H.S., OH
3:15 Indian Hill H.S., OH
3:30 Rockford H.S., MI
3:45 Greenfield Central H.S., IN
4:00 Butler H.S., OH
4:15 Davenport Central H.S., IA
4:30 Norton H.S., OH
4:45 Monrovia H.S., IN

BREAK

(PANEL TWO)
5:15 Meade County H.S., KY
5:30 Brownsburg H.S., IN
5:45 Blue Valley West H.S., KS
6:00 Forest Hills Schools, OH
6:15 Ardrey Kell H.S., NC
6:30 Marian Catholic H.S., IL
6:45 Milton-Union H.S., OH
7:00 Bourbon County H.S., KY
7:15 Round Rock H.S., TX
7:30 Archbishop Alter H.S., OH
7:45 Lakeland H.S., MI
8:00 Simon Kenton H.S., KY

8:15 EXHIBITION: Jacksonville State University

yeah, I’m worried after watching that Avon video...it’s got to be their best show in nearly a decade and they are leaps and bounds ahead of anyone in the country from a visual standpoint. Some (or at least 1, but potentially as many as 3) of the Texas groups should be able to beat them musically. Wasn’t a fan at all of whichever pop/rock song they incorporate in the middle (my memory escapes me as to which song it is) but i doubt it will affect them much.

Vandegrift is performing their show at the highest level of any of our attendees, but I’m not sure the visual program is strong enough to hang with Avon. Music and music GE might be able to put them over the edge if they don’t fall too far behind visually (a high visual ind score ala Marcus 2013 could help)

Hebron and CTJ are tackling significantly more challenging musical programs than Avon. CTJs visual program is challenging but not as compelling as Avon’s. If they can get it clean enough they could challenge. Hebron’s visual design *is* (in spots) compelling, but not nearly as challenging. If either of them are going to win they’ll need near flawless visual runs, which I’m nervous about

Leander and TWHS are fantastic this year but neither seems like an eagle contender to me. Then there’s Carmel, which I’ve only seen an early season video of so not sure what to make of them

And sidebar- caught a video of Ayala and am really digging what they’re up to this year. Really hope they make it back into finals

WOW - there was some thoughts put into the block assignments

Panel 2 - Thursday Night

• 8:00PM   Avon
  • 9:00PM   Carmel
  • 9:45PM   CT Johnson

Panel 1 - Friday Morning

• 9:15AM   Vandegrift
  • 9:45AM   Hebron
  • 10:00AM Leander
  • 10:15AM TWHS

guess we cannot say that we are not comparing the top performers against each other in these blocks

I understand that there are many others that will be competing for finals - but those 7 are likely going to go into finals within the top 10 (if not the top 7) and are clustered together pretty well for the judges to compare them in prelims.

My previous question is still something I wonder about - where is the MGE? They received no reaction based on music. Maybe the judges will be enthralled by the esoteric music theory behind the show, but the crowd certainly won't. ISSMA does not place as high a value on MGE as BOA, so it hurts less on that circuit.

I think the music is wonderful. It's totally engaging from one moment to the next. Make no mistake, this is not some straight playing of baroque music. The arranger has had a lot of fun with it, in a way that's reminiscent of what Reagan did last year with Bach's music. (One wonders whether Jay Webb was inspired after judging Reagan's show at San Antonio finals last year.) To top it off, Avon sounds (mostly) great as well. The technical demand of the music, combined with the demand of the visual, produces a very striking effect overall. How can you not love that part in the opener with the sax soloist playing those sixteenths, followed by the muted trumpets, and that tango-sort-of-beat that they've infused with the source material that follows afterward? It's just really cool and exciting. And that ballad is achingly beautiful. Anyway, I think the crowd will be plenty moved by this show at Nationals. And honestly, that's not really even what needs to happen anyway for the show to win, as Carmel has illustrated over and over again.

In WGI the schools are at basically 3 levels - "Scholastic A", "Scholastic Open", and "Scholastic World". Currently Texas has James Bowie, Marcus, Claudia Taylor Johnson, and The Woodlands in Scholastic World (Did I miss any?). In Scholastic Open and Scholastic A, we have lots of programs so I won't list them. So, for now, I guess those 4 in Scholastic World would be the top ones in Texas? Did any from Texas jump from Scholastic Open to World for this upcoming season?

I honestly had no idea that CTJ was in Scholastic World. The WGI website says Dripping Springs is as well.

I knew their narration reminded me of something. Very reminiscent of Crown 2013 but not as effective imo. 

Idk, I got a lot of MGE from Avon's show. Was just about to go back and watch it but the video is no longer up  :angry: . The muted trumpets and the build up of the ballad are parts that immediately come to mind. And the closer had so much energy. Maybe the easily recognizable music and how it is arranged is what made it instantly appealing for me.

I also got a lot of MGE from Carmel's show last year and I remember a lot of people disagreeing.

Appreciate the response. The WGI promotion (and relegation?) system has always been a mystery to me. Would be interesting if the marching band circuit worked that way.

WOW - there was some thoughts put into the block assignments

Panel 2 - Thursday Night

• 8:00PM   Avon
  • 9:00PM   Carmel
  • 9:45PM   CT Johnson

Panel 1 - Friday Morning

• 9:15AM   Vandegrift
  • 9:45AM   Hebron
  • 10:00AM Leander
  • 10:15AM TWHS

guess we cannot say that we are not comparing the top performers against each other in these blocks

I understand that there are many others that will be competing for finals - but those 7 are likely going to go into finals within the top 10 (if not the top 7) and are clustered together pretty well for the judges to compare them in prelims.

Any thoughts or insights into why BOA is grouping these top bands together?  Isn't the pattern from previous years to space them out a little more ?

Any thoughts or insights into why BOA is grouping these top bands together?  Isn't the pattern from previous years to space them out a little more ?

Probably like banddad84 said...so the judges can compare them better in prelims.  If they were widely spaced apart, it would be much more difficult to assign scores.  These seven should (hopefully) be in the top half of finals, which is probably MFA''s reasoning for splitting them into two panels with prelims performances very close together.  Based on past results, of course.