2018 6A State

Not commenting on the band discussion. However I disagree with your statement about not being on these forums. High School is a perfect opportunity to learn more about your strengths and weaknesses. Reading criticism, determining if it is constructive or destructive, and taking it in to improve (if constructive), or ignoring (if destructive) is a critical life skill that serves well until you are the guest of honor at the funeral home. This is not an easy thing to learn, especially during the teen years where I remember taking everything to heart a bit too much. It can be mentally challenging, but learning to pick out the wheat from the chaff is important, as is building your ability to accept criticism without over or under reacting.

There is nothing quite like taking constructive criticism, working to improve, and coming out better at the end! As for the destructive criticism, well, ignoring then proving them wrong has it's own rewards too.

Just my two cents. Worth what you paid for it! :)

You're definitely right - perhaps I misworded what I meant. Not that you shouldn't be allowed on the forums, or you shouldn't ever read, but just to take everything said (or not said!) about your program with a grain of salt! At the end of the day, your show will be as good as you and your band can work to make it.

As a Rookie Music Educator, I love coming on this site to discuss these great programs, one day in the future I hope to direct one of these amazing programs. I understand that some of these comments can seem like we are not being fair but I have seen comments that are respectful and positive. We enjoy being apart of this discussion and you can bet that I will be at Area D cheering on every band, as well as giving my opinion in a respectful manner. 

Good Luck to Everyone!

It's also important to remember the written word rarely conveys the nuance and subtlty of the spoken word. Tone and inflection are powerful tools missing from every font. William Shakespeare is a master author but reading his work is significantly different from hearing it performed by Sir Laurence Olivier or even Mel Gibson. The internet tends to feel more extreme, both harsh or glowing and optimistic, than was often intended. Getting in the habit of asking, "What else could this mean?", will serve you well.

1 Flower Mound HS, Flower Mound 2 Hebron HS, Carrollton 3 Marcus HS, Flower Mound 4 Vandegrift H S, Austin 5 Keller H S, Keller 6 Reagan HS, San Antonio 7 Leander H S, Leander 8 The Woodlands HS, The Woodlands 9 Bell HS, Hurst 10 North Shore H S, Houston 11 Coppell HS, Coppell 12 Round Rock H S, Round Rock

2016 UIL 6A State Finals Results

1. Ronald Reagan

2. Claudia Taylor Johnson

3. Flowermound

4. Leander

5. Vandegrift

6. Woodlands

7. Hebron

8. Keller

9. Vista Ridge

10. Marcus

11. LD Bell

12. Coppell

13. James Bowie

14. Cedar Ridge

15. Round Rock

16. Hendrickson

17. Timber Creek

18. Prosper

2018 UIL 6A State Predictions

1 Flower Mound HS, Flower Mound 2 Hebron HS, Carrollton 3 Marcus HS, Flower Mound 4 Vandegrift H S, Austin 5 Keller H S, Keller 6 Reagan HS, San Antonio 7 Leander H S, Leander 8 The Woodlands HS, The Woodlands 9 Bell HS, Hurst 10 North Shore H S, Houston 11 Coppell HS, Coppell 12 Round Rock H S, Round Rock

2016 UIL 6A State Finals Results

1. Ronald Reagan

2. Claudia Taylor Johnson

3. Flowermound

4. Leander

5. Vandegrift

6. Woodlands

7. Hebron

8. Keller

9. Vista Ridge

10. Marcus

11. LD Bell

12. Coppell

13. James Bowie

14. Cedar Ridge

15. Round Rock

16. Hendrickson

17. Timber Creek

18. Prosper

2018 UIL 6A State Predictions

interesting that even though we have talked on many posts about the difference in BOA and UIL - while the placements change from one to the other, the participants do not change too much 

What is the general opinion on Robert E. Hendrickson HS? Most everyone is placing them out of finals at State but they have not made much of a public appearance. What basis are these predictions coming from?

From what I have seen (granted from the back) they should be in finals in my opinion. The ensemble sound is awesome, their drill is cool and clean, and that soloist is just AMAZING! I don’t know how he is able to play that solo with all of the movement he does.

On Hendrickson, I think they have a shot like any of the other bands in the last 3 potential spots. However, it always comes down to how well kids can pull off what they've been taught. The show itself I feel is wonderful for UIL, but there are many groups who perform at a level equal to or greater than Hendrickson in the 9-15 range. It will be a bloodbath. (of course all of this is assuming they make state, which I think they will)

If someone has posted this somewhere before, I apologize, but there is a pretty amazing geographical theme with the State medalists in the largest UIL division if you go back to 2006:

2006 Class 5A

Gold: Marcus

Silver: LD Bell

Bronze: Duncanville

2008 Class 5A

Bronze: Coppell

2010 Class 5A

2012 Class 5A

Silver: Hebron

Bronze: LD Bell

2014 Class 6A

Bronze: Claudia Taylor Johnson

2016 Class 6A

Gold: Flower Mound

Bronze: Marcus

18 medals - 17 to north Texas bands, 1 to a central Texas band. Not saying by any stretch that's a lock to continue, given how competitive this state continues to become, but just something to think about.

If someone has posted this somewhere before, I apologize, but there is a pretty amazing geographical theme with the State medalists in the largest UIL division if you go back to 2006:

2006 Class 5A

2008 Class 5A

Bronze: Coppell

2010 Class 5A

2012 Class 5A

Bronze: LD Bell

2014 Class 6A

Bronze: Claudia Taylor Johnson

2016 Class 6A

Gold: Flower Mound

Bronze: Marcus

18 medals - 17 to north Texas bands, 1 to a central Texas band. Not saying by any stretch that's a lock to continue, given how competitive this state continues to become, but just something to think about.

I actually think this will be the first year that this trend changes. I think central Texas bands will take two of the medals (including gold) and we'll only see one medal go to a North Texas band. UIL hasn't become quite as volatile as BOA, but I think that's slowly about to change.

I actually think this will be the first year that this trend changes. I think central Texas bands will take two of the medals (including gold) and we'll only see one medal go to a North Texas band. UIL hasn't become quite as volatile as BOA, but I think that's slowly about to change.

I agree with this.  There is also the equalizing factor of weather.  I think that Dallas/Houston has had it worse than Austin/San Antonio in regards to rain and missed rehearsals

I believe this has also been a trend since the other LISD has traditionally been the UIL powerhouse of the 5A (previosuly 4A) state marching contest. The Leander schools have hovered around the 5A/6A border for the last decade, but I think they've finally adjusted to the level of competition at 6A and will have their strongest chance to medal at the highest level since Cedar Park in '04...speaking of which...is there a video of that show out there somewhere?? 

I believe this has also been a trend since the other LISD has traditionally been the UIL powerhouse of the 5A (previosuly 4A) state marching contest. The Leander schools have hovered around the 5A/6A border for the last decade, but I think they've finally adjusted to the level of competition at 6A and will have their strongest chance to medal at the highest level since Cedar Park in '04...speaking of which...is there a video of that show out there somewhere?? 

Yes, where is that video? The sonorous punchy brass hits over the glorious woodwind run in the first movement is still one of my all-time favorite moments in Texas marching band.  The saxes are doing the lord's work in that run.  

That was also the year of Churchill's Blueprints show which I thought was incredible.  I really thought that was the show of the year and that they would win state and was pretty surprised when they weren't even a medalist.