UIL 6A 2023 State Marching Band Contest (Oct. 30. & 31)

LeanderMomma

Westwood HS-

After a 3rd place finish at the BOA St. Louis Regional, the Westwood HS Band brings Birds on a Wire to San Antonio!

Welcome back to the State Marching Contest Westwood!!! Of course everyone already knows this, but the Music selection for their show is SUPER GOOD! The visuals came together nicely for their run! I feel like I have said this for every band I have seen today, but the Ballad came out really good tonight! I truly want to see them advance to finals this year! Thank you for the EPIC performance Westwood HS!!!!!

HELLO WESTWOOD!!! What a musical performance!!! They had me on my feet by the end of that show, I mean holy cow! Those woodwinds are SOOO stinking good, brass was very tasteful, great visual package, and the guard really brough the theme of the show together with the rest of the elements. A BIG case for finals for them IMO, they are just another one of the so many bands today that deserve to be in finals! If they don't make it, that was a run to be proud of, incredible job Westwood! 

2 minutes ago, Origin said:

Westwood plays SO well. I think visual is holding them back a bit, it just feels too contained. I wish they broke free from the cages and really filled up the field in the closer or something. 

Agreed. I can't recall what performance it was, maybe even a game but- their show looks a lot nicer without the large cages. It makes everything feel more free and open and the visuals a lot better.

Westwood is growing as a program but their visuals seems to hold back their growth.

Just now, Dallas Hobbs said:

I’m trying so hard to figure out who I will pick as my 14th finalist because I predict that the returning 13 finalists are locks. Lol

I don't know if I'd be so comfortable to say that. I'm gonna do a predictions/tier list combo at the end of prelims, but a LOT of bands are stepping it up this year, even so enough to overcome "the usuals." Any updates on Waxahachie? If I had to guess they aren't gonna get the appeal approved, which opens up another spot which I guess is a good thing for that band that gets in, but I still feel SO TERRIBLE for them. 

Just now, Tubalord11 said:

I don't know if I'd be so comfortable to say that. I'm gonna do a predictions/tier list combo at the end of prelims, but a LOT of bands are stepping it up this year, even so enough to overcome "the usuals." Any updates on Waxahachie? If I had to guess they aren't gonna get the appeal approved, which opens up another spot which I guess is a good thing for that band that gets in, but I still feel SO TERRIBLE for them. 

I saw someone say that they eventually did not get DQ’ed. Can anyone confirm this?

Dawson HS-

I really enjoyed the show. I didn't get to really enjoy it because I got distracted with stuff, but musically, I really enjoyed it! From what I did see, the visual's were good! The flute solo in the 2nd movement was really cool! Did get to see the ending, which WAS REALLY COOL! Overall, thank you for a great performance Dawson HS!

Amazing performance from Dawson! I was distracted by some school stuff but what I heard was really good, I see why they are having one of if not their best season to date! I do wish there was a bit more colorful field presence, felt like there was something lacking, but the flute/picc soloist were incredible, loved that ballad, great job Dawson!