UIL 6A 2023 State Marching Band Contest (Oct. 30. & 31)

LeanderMomma

1 minute ago, Tubalord11 said:

True lol, honestly, there are a TON of bands this year that won't make finals that did so well all season long, had great performances at area, and then will be like 10 out of finals. That's just SMBC for you. Will be dropping my predictions soon 

Yep, our locks are pretty well set in stone but those last spots are going to be a brutal battle for.

44 minutes ago, Tubalord11 said:

Don't count out Timber Creek! 

That’s fair. Or Bridgeland either. I haven’t seen either on video just yet whereas all the bands I listed I’ve at least seen videos of or witnessed in person.

Many deserving bands will miss finals and that’s a shame. But to even make it to the state contest is a huge testament to the fortitude of every one from these programs.

37 minutes ago, Displayed name said:

What separates these programs?

I'd say the thing that separate these programs is consistency. The elite programs create not just success, they create a legacy of success that builds year after year. I can't remember which band/year but I vividly recall senior speeches during section time for one band's final performance at BOA basically saying to the next class "Be the seniors you wish you had".

That's the kind of leadership that creates success. They don't happen overnight and require a culture of excellence throughout every member of the band. The top programs understand how to foster that culture which is why they are consistently successful.

That's why finals at State or BOA SA typically only has a few spots truly up for grabs while the rest are often the same small group of bands.

10 minutes ago, Displayed name said:

Maybe my question is more why don’t bubble bands that consistently preform really well early season keep that consistency?

bridgeland and cyfair both beat ctj at Katy but neither are considered locks for finals even tho ctj is a “lock” band

I've noticed there are some bands that tend to peak early. I'm not sure if that's because they stop adding elements or have a simpler performance so it's easier to master or something all together different. 

I can only speak about our band, but I know the directors are constantly adding elements and tweaking things to get more points. I can't tell you how many times I've mentioned to my daughter that I hadn't ever seen this or that in past performances to have her tell me that it was the first time it had been added in. 

On 9/13/2023 at 11:13 PM, servingcont_ra said:

Extremely bold predictions:

1. Hebron

2. Vandegrift

3. Ronald Reagan

4. The Woodlands

5. Claudia Taylor Johnson

6. Vista Ridge

7. Coppell

8. Flower Mound

9. Southlake Carroll

10. Round Rock

11. Marcus

12. Pearland

13. Keller

14. Waxahachie

On 9/13/2023 at 11:57 PM, Tubalord11 said:

I don’t see Cedar Ridge going from 3rd to not making finals, but it’s definitely possible for SLC to make it. I know they did really well at Nats, but I wouldn’t use that as a reason to put them in finals or even get out of Area B for that matter. UIL and BOA are completely different, and their show imo seems more boa oriented than UIL. I’d love for them to do well, but we definitely need to see how they do before determining how well they could do. But do love you having high hopes for them, I think they could surprise a lot of people this year! 

well well well

Interesting 6A State Year. No Cedar Ridge? Hm. I saw Area H finals yesterday - this year will be like no other! Here are my predictions solely based on my attendance of this year's BOA and UIL competitions...

1. Vandegrift - These kids are something else. I've never seen a group of students march in such uniformity. Their music is at a level parallel to drum corps. The flute soloist has my heart.

2. The Woodlands - Cleanest drill of the year. I don't know how they do it, but there's something special about their show each year, and this is by far the cleanest they've been in the past decade.

3. Hebron - I would honestly have them contend for fourth. They aren't the same this year. The show is definitely difficult, but the kids just lack presence on the field. I'm more impressed by their on-field than their ability to march in time. It seems that their brass is a bit overrated. Watching them in person is NOTHING like what I've seen in videos. The recordings help them out, but unfortunately, the judges will have to see the show in person, so the band does not have much room to hide. 

4. Marcus - The show does lack effect, but it's clean! State will appreciate the demands being asked by the kids. The brass ensemble is a bit iffy. French horn?! Their choreography lacks structure, but the kids perform it well.

5. Vista Ridge - All I have to say is go Vista BRASS!

6. Coppell - Really enjoying their show theme this year, it's different than what they've done previously. The kids are playing the heck out of that book. Seems like too many programs are incorporating articulation exercises into their shows (Crown 2023), but Coppell's difficulty lies within the scalar patterns. 

7. Flower Mound - Their visual is impressive, but the show has a lethargic feeling. It gets boring after the balled. Not my cup of tea, but maybe the judges will think differently.

8. RR - Eigth at best?

9. Round Rock - The show is well developed, but definitely not heightened the program since last year.

10. Pearland - Man, they've changed the program in these last few years, and this is their year to break free and get their name out there.

11. Waxahachie - LOVE the brass! Really love the musical content. 

1 hour ago, cadets08dad said:

Interesting 6A State Year. No Cedar Ridge? Hm. I saw Area H finals yesterday - this year will be like no other! Here are my predictions solely based on my attendance of this year's BOA and UIL competitions...

1. Vandegrift - These kids are something else. I've never seen a group of students march in such uniformity. Their music is at a level parallel to drum corps. The flute soloist has my heart.

2. The Woodlands - Cleanest drill of the year. I don't know how they do it, but there's something special about their show each year, and this is by far the cleanest they've been in the past decade.

3. Hebron - I would honestly have them contend for fourth. They aren't the same this year. The show is definitely difficult, but the kids just lack presence on the field. I'm more impressed by their on-field than their ability to march in time. It seems that their brass is a bit overrated. Watching them in person is NOTHING like what I've seen in videos. The recordings help them out, but unfortunately, the judges will have to see the show in person, so the band does not have much room to hide. 

4. Marcus - The show does lack effect, but it's clean! State will appreciate the demands being asked by the kids. The brass ensemble is a bit iffy. French horn?! Their choreography lacks structure, but the kids perform it well.

5. Vista Ridge - All I have to say is go Vista BRASS!

6. Coppell - Really enjoying their show theme this year, it's different than what they've done previously. The kids are playing the heck out of that book. Seems like too many programs are incorporating articulation exercises into their shows (Crown 2023), but Coppell's difficulty lies within the scalar patterns. 

7. Flower Mound - Their visual is impressive, but the show has a lethargic feeling. It gets boring after the balled. Not my cup of tea, but maybe the judges will think differently.

8. RR - Eigth at best?

9. Round Rock - The show is well developed, but definitely not heightened the program since last year.

10. Pearland - Man, they've changed the program in these last few years, and this is their year to break free and get their name out there.

11. Waxahachie - LOVE the brass! Really love the musical content. 

CTJ will be in there. Pearland will be higher. Hebron’s biggest drawback this year is that a big number of their All State kiddos graduated. Granted they still have tons, so they’ll be ok. 😁

19 minutes ago, LeanderMomma said:

This is the biggest reason I am making the long drive down to San Antonio this year a few days early. I refuse to pay the NFHS network another dime to watch marching band. I will be there in person this year!  6A and 5A!

I broke down today and will watch NFHS for this. 😬 I guess they saw me nosing around their website and sent me a coupon for 33% off.  One month it is!  

Since Box5 is a bit unreliable lately, guess you’ll have to go to GNs!

14 minutes ago, LeanderMomma said:

This is the biggest reason I am making the long drive down to San Antonio this year a few days early. I refuse to pay the NFHS network another dime to watch marching band. I will be there in person this year!  6A and 5A!

Haha I don't blame you! I was gonna make the drive to 6A finals after work but I really only find myself interested in catching Hebron, otherwise I'll see the rest at BOA SA.