2023 BOA San Antonio Super Regional (Nov. 3 & 4)

LeanderMomma

• 3 weeks later...

Friday:
Panel 1
11:00 McCallum, TX
11:15 Cedar Park, TX
11:30 Manor New Tech, TX
11:45 Westwood, TX
12:00 Byron P. Steele, TX
12:15 Anderson, TX
12:30 Smithson Valley, TX
12:45 Pflugerville, TX
1:00 Louis D. Brandeis, TX

1:15 Break

Panel 2
1:45 Bastrop, TX
2:00 Crockett, TX
2:15 Round Rock, TX
2:30 Sandra Day O'Connor, TX
2:45 Pieper, TX
3:00 Lehman, TX
3:15 Waller, TX
3:30 Vista Ridge, TX
3:45 Jourdanton, TX
4:00 Claudia Taylor Johnson, TX
4:15 United, TX
4:30 Glenn, TX

4:45 Break

Panel 1
5:15 Keller Central, TX
5:30 John B. Alexander, TX
5:45 Cedar Ridge, TX
6:00 Westlake, TX
6:15 Magnolia, TX
6:30 Rouse, TX
6:45 James Earl Rudder, TX
7:00 W. Charles Akins, TX
7:15 Veterans Memorial, TX
7:30 Vandegrift, TX

7:45 Break

Panel 2
8:15 Leander, TX
8:30 Lake Travis, TX
8:45 McNeil, TX
9:00 Weiss, TX
9:15 Bridgeland, TX
9:30 Jack C. Hays, TX
9:45 Winston Churchill, TX
10:00 James Bowie, TX
10:15 Stephen F. Austin, TX
10:30 A&M Consolidated, TX
10:45 Ronald Reagan, TX

SATURDAY
Panel 1
7:15 Hargrave, TX
7:30 Argyle, TX
7:45 Mission Veterans Memorial, TX
8:00 Birdville, TX
8:15 Timber Creek, TX
8:30 Krum, TX
8:45 Friendswood, TX

9:00 Break

Panel 2
9:30 Moe & Gene Johnson, TX
9:45 Dawson, TX
10:00 Pioneer, TX
10:15 Pecos, TX
10:30 Marcus, TX
10:45 Wylie East, TX
11:00 Forney, TX
11:15 Meridian, TX
11:30 Wakeland, TX
11:45 Roma, TX
12:00 The Woodlands, TX

12:15 Break

Panel 1
1:00 Grapevine, TX
1:15 Aledo, TX
1:30 Clear Springs, TX
1:45 College Park, TX
2:00 L.D. Bell, TX
2:15 Midlothian, TX
2:30 Clear Creek, TX
2:45 Cypress Woods, TX
3:00 Oak Ridge, TX

2 hours ago, Nny14 said:

I'm really disappointed Hebron won't be able to defend their crown after winning the past 2 years. Predicting Nationals will be even crazier too.

My thought exactly! Kind of like what happened with Flower Mound in 2021. Unfortunately, UIL's judging system is too different to draw a good comparison for BOA Grand Nats. Then again, BOA San Antonio results haven't been particularly predictive of BOA Grand Nats in recent years, either. Historically, I find myself in closer agreement with the Nats panels.

I think Vandegrift probably benefits from being on their own little island on Panel 1 -- as the only top half finalist from last year in that panel. (I'll qualify this as "presumably" on their own island, unless BOA Austin this weekend shows me otherwise.) I strongly suspect we'll see Vandy land in the top 2 or 3 after prelims. Granted, there's an excellent chance that would have happened even without the weird two panel system.

Yet again, the two panels seem unbalanced, with Panel 2 much more "finalist lock" heavy. But I also think this creates some great opportunities in Panel 1 for new finalists, with 2 of the 5 automatic advance slots up for grabs. I've got my eyes on Cypress Woods in particular. They've got a great performance time, too.

10 hours ago, Rubisco said:

On the other hand, I feel bad for some of the up and coming bands stuck on Panel 2 with all the "locks", knowing that those 5 auto advance spots are probably taken, and then some. It just feels like the chances of breaking through for those groups are smaller. Bridgeland, Wakeland, etc. come to mind.

The 2 groups I have my eye on are cy-woods and bridgeland, a lot of the times those 2 battle it out. 

11 hours ago, Rubisco said:

On the other hand, I feel bad for some of the up and coming bands stuck on Panel 2 with all the "locks", knowing that those 5 auto advance spots are probably taken, and then some. It just feels like the chances of breaking through for those groups are smaller. Bridgeland, Wakeland, etc. come to mind.

Agreed. Panel 2 is going to leave some frustrated kids. 

I wish they had balanced this better.

Holy cow! I have never seen the panels so uneven before.

I feel sorry for the people in panel 2 who were in the bubble, so many contenders who were exciting stuck there. :(

Panel 1 will be interesting. Based on how many they take to finals, there could be some bands who have never made finals at SA slip in.

time will tell.

In BOA's defense, I feel like we said this about last year's panels, too, but it didn't end up being that bad. Then again, there are probably 25+ bands in Texas that wouldn't look totally out of place in BOA San Antonio finals, regardless of whether they belong there over a slightly cleaner/more effective band that misses finals.

50 minutes ago, Rubisco said:

In BOA's defense, I feel like we said this about last year's panels, too, but it didn't end up being that bad. Then again, there are probably 25+ bands in Texas that wouldn't look totally out of place in BOA San Antonio finals, regardless of whether they belong there over a slightly cleaner/more effective band that misses finals.

Analyzing the balance of panels is like the strength of schedule for sports teams. Every year is a new year and we don't even know how each group will do in competition yet. It's probably not as bad as it looks.

4 hours ago, AWildAltoSax said:

Holy cow! I have never seen the panels so uneven before.

I feel sorry for the people in panel 2 who were in the bubble, so many contenders who were exciting stuck there. :(

Panel 1 will be interesting. Based on how many they take to finals, there could be some bands who have never made finals at SA slip in.

time will tell.

I’m performing for Panel 2, and I am honestly kind of terrified. However, time will tell how everyone will stand in this comp.

2 hours ago, Rubisco said:

I agree that whoever does make finals will be a worthy band. The talent in Texas *IS* that deep.

But, I think that once BOA made the decision to move this contest to two panels without a Semifinals, it made it critical in the name of fairness for them to try very earnestly to balance the dispersion of the bands at the top within the schedule.

4 hours ago, Rubisco said:

Don't let our discussion of panels freak you out too much! We talk about "locks", but there's a reason I'm putting that in quotation marks. Nothing is guaranteed. Every contender for finals needs to make a strong statement about themselves. Even bands that haven't made finals here before can achieve that with enough work.

I agree. When speculating before the competition, it's easy to imagine a bloodbath getting into finals. But when the competition happens, there is often more space, pointwise, between bands to justify the results. I rarely see a result that I can't understand or disagree with.

On 9/20/2023 at 10:09 PM, Samuel Culper said:

Panel 1 - Cedar Park, Cedar Ridge, Westlake, Rouse, Vandegrift, LD Bell

Panel 2 - Round Rock, Vista Ridge, CTJ, Leander, James Bowie, Ronald Reagan, Marcus, Wakeland, The Woodlands

Looks pretty unbalanced to me.

Not so unbalanced when you potentially just named all 14 finalists, minus one. 

Top 5 in each panel, next 4 regardless of panel. Panel 2 will simply have more or all of the “next 4’s.”

It will be fine. 

On 7/24/2023 at 7:08 PM, northtexasbandfan said:

I’m sure a big reason Flower Mound is not attending is they’re participating in the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade in NYC. Not going to be an inexpensive trip for sure.

I need to correct this … Flower Mound is participating in the 2024 Macy’s parade, not this year’s.