2023 BOA Grand National Championships (Nov. 9-11)

josephbandfan

8 minutes ago, Dallas Hobbs said:

So, semis performance order is necessary class representatives -> next 8 -> top 22, all shuffled in random order? Interesting. 

I’m not 100% sure but I think it’s something like that. For each cohort, your semi finals draw determines your performance time within that group. Class reps, half of next 8, top 22, rest of the next 8. 

10 minutes ago, TacosNSalsa said:

Texas will have a strong showing - expect Hebron and Woodlands to be top 4. The Woodlands will compete for best effect and best visual, Hebron will compete for best music and best effect.

We’ll see Pearland top 8, with a tremendous possibility of top 5.

We’ll see Round Rock top 10, though I expect top 7.

We’ll see Keller and CTJ in finals, likely 7-11.

We’ll see Dripping and Bowie making a strong statement in semis, with an outstanding chance of making finals. 

Go Team Texas!!

This is how I see it, too. It's going to be a great contest! Texas will be very well represented!

19 hours ago, packwick said:

that 19.55 avg i think is the highest vis perf average in BOA SA history, so maybe.

*Me diligently looking up the historical scores even though I've posted a list of all-time BOA San Antonio finals scores on this very forum* 😄

I think you might be right, at least for finals scores. I'm not sure for prelims. I think a 19.6 may be the highest score for visual effect too, although it's shared by a few others -- Reagan '22, '19, and '18 (sheesh!), Marcus '12, and TWHS '06.

Vandegrift tied Hebron's 19.7 (!) from last year for highest ever music score in BOA San Antonio finals. I thought they may have beaten Reagan's overall effect score from the previous record in 2019, too, but I was incorrect. 58.7 to 58.5. Vandegrift was just a bit stronger across the other captions to topple the record.

This probably belongs in the other thread. 😄

On 11/15/2022 at 11:54 PM, Txpharmguy said:

Round Rock is  going to Orlando Spring of 2023 and London summer of 2024. Don't think they're going to GN. If I recall, It cost close to 300K for a band to go

On 11/16/2022 at 7:52 AM, scoobydoo said:

Round Rock will be going to GN next year.

Round rock is confirmed for this year. They go every other year so they will not be attending next year.

even some of the bands like Bowie who maybe think they underperformed at SA could do better here than expected. BOA SA is reeeally not always that predictive of what happens at Nats even just a week later. Hendrickson last year for example, Marcus in 2021 and 2017 comes to mind too, so does Cedar Park back in 2016, heck their score shot up by like 7 points in a week. no i don't think anything that drastic is going to happen this year, but still. scores usually go up a little bit, sometimes they go down. contest dynamics and different judges blah blah blah.

7 hours ago, packwick said:

even some of the bands like Bowie who maybe think they underperformed at SA could do better here than expected. BOA SA is reeeally not always that predictive of what happens at Nats even just a week later. Hendrickson last year for example, Marcus in 2021 and 2017 comes to mind too, so does Cedar Park back in 2016, heck their score shot up by like 7 points in a week. no i don't think anything that drastic is going to happen this year, but still. scores usually go up a little bit, sometimes they go down. contest dynamics and different judges blah blah blah.

For this year, there are arguably two medal contenders in BA and Tarpon missing due to their attendance rotation, but then you replace them with 4 confident Texas locks in Hebron, TWHS, Pearland and Round Rock, plop in Blue Springs for DB, and then you have an increased scarcity and rigidity in the amount of openings for finals spots that there were last year with CTJ, Keller, Bentonville, Dripping Springs, and others out on that bubble. The new set of judges, and continued adjustments might allow Bowie to leapfrog a band they’ve scored lower than, but that might be too much to ask from them. There just isn’t as much availability as there was last year, where groups few expected to make it in did.

@packwick have any new/finals thoughts going into this weekend regarding our #TeamTexas schools? I would of course love for one of our Tx bands to take home the Eagle, but Carmel and Avon are looking strong as ever, not to mention Blue Springs. I feel comfortable saying Hebron will take music and visual probably Avon/Carmel/TW's, but GE seems to be what's really up in the air, thoughts? 

I think the top 4 at this contest could go anyway and it would make sense.

Carmel and Avon have both been really quiet since ISSMA. Hebron usually has one last push before grand nationals on years they go, I think their performances in indy will be leagues above where they were at state. I think the woodlands has a shot at being our first texas band to win visual at grand nationals, that moment in the ballad where they’re doing the slow coupe steps is INSANELY hard. 

I leave for indy on thursday morning and I really can’t wait!!

5 hours ago, Tubalord11 said:

@packwick have any new/finals thoughts going into this weekend regarding our #TeamTexas schools? I would of course love for one of our Tx bands to take home the Eagle, but Carmel and Avon are looking strong as ever, not to mention Blue Springs. I feel comfortable saying Hebron will take music and visual probably Avon/Carmel/TW's, but GE seems to be what's really up in the air, thoughts? 

I think Carmel is going to be very hard to beat this year. I don't like saying that because I don't really like their show or rarely ever do, but I think they are going to make it very difficult to beat them.

30 minutes ago, BassDr. said:

Yeah me too. How come they are placing lower this year?

Jarrett Lipman, their longtime head director, left the school after last year. Though schools like Vandegrift and the Woodlands have been able to weather head director changes very well, the first few years after a change are always difficult, especially for a school moving on from someone as influential as Lipman has been.

5 hours ago, BassDr. said:

Yeah me too. How come they are placing lower this year?

mainly visual. i thought they were kinda underscored musically at SA. they sounded box 5 to me but only Jay Kennedy had them there if im remembering it right, in music effect. i would have had them higher in music than several of the other bands in the bottom half.

is anybody recording this?? miiight be able to get a live high cam but will prob need a finals multi. still need to trim all the BOASA finals multi cams. kinda debating going back and adding all the hi cams i have over the years to the drive but would be time consuming to rip all the DVDs again and would have to pay to add more space lol. ill get around to it eventually.

1 hour ago, Hack said:

We just got in last night. First ever Grand Nationals. Exciting to see so many TX bands picked high in your predictions. Proud Pearland parent of a freshman here. We will be at Lucas Oil shortly after lunch today. 

Best of luck to your kid, can’t wait to see them perform over the weekend!