2023 BOA Grand National Championships (Nov. 9-11)

josephbandfan

2 hours ago, Tubalord11 said:

What are y’all’s thoughts on Hebron winning? I’m personally pulling for them but any Team Texas that gets the dub will make me happy regardless 

Seems like it's a race right now between TWHS, Carmel, Hebron, and the ever present Avon, too. 

As always, Hebron's "weak" point is their visual package. They're usually just a tad dirtier visually than their competitors. I'm glad they're not going to BOA SA. I believe a weekend cleaning drill is gonna be better spent for them than trying to 3peat at SA. If they can get clean, they'll be hard to beat. 

7 hours ago, itsstephenyo said:

Bumping this up.

Anyone that has made the Indy trip from TX, are there any sightseeing things/noteable restaurants in Indianapolis that y'all would recommend? I'll be up there starting Friday but will be semi-babysitting my niece and nephew so I don't wanna make them sit through 12 hrs of prelims... Any recommendations? 

I enjoy eating at the Yard House very much when I’m in Indy and it’s a short walk from the stadium. 

9 hours ago, itsstephenyo said:

Seems like it's a race right now between TWHS, Carmel, Hebron, and the ever present Avon, too. 

As always, Hebron's "weak" point is their visual package. They're usually just a tad dirtier visually than their competitors. I'm glad they're not going to BOA SA. I believe a weekend cleaning drill is gonna be better spent for them than trying to 3peat at SA. If they can get clean, they'll be hard to beat. 

Remember you only get 8 hours a week of practice so not going to BOA doesn't mean more practice time, it actually might mean less because you get an hour on extra practice on performance days.

After seeing the Woodlands full show recently at one of their exhibitions, I think they have a strong chance of getting into the top 3 and very good shot at the eagle. Their show design and music book this year is too good. So many details in the show to look at and their guard is nearly perfect. Just need to clean up a tiny tiny amount of dirt musically but I think they have a higher ceiling than the other bands just based on the show design. Thinking they could take GE/Vis… because we already know where the music caption is going to. 

On 10/9/2023 at 3:43 PM, itsstephenyo said:

Bumping this up.

Anyone that has made the Indy trip from TX, are there any sightseeing things/noteable restaurants in Indianapolis that y'all would recommend? I'll be up there starting Friday but will be semi-babysitting my niece and nephew so I don't wanna make them sit through 12 hrs of prelims... Any recommendations? 

Just now, Bandmomlover said:

I think Indianapolis‘s most iconic restaurants are Saint Elmo‘s and Harry and Izzo‘s. They are known for their super spicy shrimp cocktails sauce. They are steak restaurants but they have a good burgers and I believe pizzas too. For kids, the Sugar Factory is fun. They have rainbow sliders and very expensive large alcoholic and nonalcoholic drinks filled with candy and dry ice. It’s hard to beat the Yard House as well or Weber Grill. Shapiro’s is a great deli.
The zoo is near Lucas oil and actually very nice. Not sure what the weather will be in November, but you can rent paddle boats up and down the canal. Very walkable city and Monument Circle is something to check out for sure as well as local museums. Have a great trip!

luv luv looove how Daniel Wiles choreographs for guard, they're always like running around the field but he manages to stuff those phrases w/ spinning and tossing and dance. guard moves real well, band does too, opener mvmnt is so cool and energetic, look at them rolling around, Jesus! love the costuming.

looove how the frames just kinda pop up outta nowhere too, at first i thought something happened and they were missing. kinda cool how they materialize.

def better perf than before, still needs some significant cleaning, difficulty galore ppl. flow of the show is a little strange but it'll grow on me. closer stuff more like the aggressively dazzling Avon i know, at least from the content side.

4 minutes ago, packwick said:

luv luv looove how Daniel Wiles choreographs for guard, they're always like running around the field but he manages to stuff those phrases w/ spinning and tossing and dance. guard moves real well, band does too, opener mvmnt is so cool and energetic, look at them rolling around, Jesus! love the costuming.

looove how the frames just kinda pop up outta nowhere too, at first i thought something happened and they were missing. kinda cool how they materialize.

def better perf than before, still needs some significant cleaning, difficulty galore ppl. flow of the show is a little strange but it'll grow on me. closer stuff more like the aggressively dazzling Avon i know, at least from the content side.

To be honest, I wasn't wowed by the show overall. The guard, yes, but not the show in its entirety. I do think it will score well, though. I'm maybe seeing room for one or more Texas bands to surpass them. There have been a few shake-ups this year and hopefully this will be one of them.

10 minutes ago, Hard Core Band Fan said:

To be honest, I wasn't wowed by the show overall. The guard, yes, but not the show in its entirety. I do think it will score well, though. I'm maybe seeing room for one or more Texas bands to surpass them. There have been a few shake-ups this year and hopefully this will be one of them.

not my fave from them either but betting against Avon is a hard bet to take lol. top 3 at Nats since what, 2007??? that's approachin' 20 years!!! crazy impressive!!

1 minute ago, packwick said:

not my fave from them either but betting against Avon is a hard bet to take lol. top 3 at Nats since what, 2007??? that's approachin' 20 years!!! crazy impressive!!

Absolutely, however all streaks do end. Is this the year? I think it is the most possible this year than it has been for at least 10 years. I like the show, but it is missing a spark the ones I would rank higher have. I don't see an Eagle for them this year based off this performance, but they will be right there at the top. I think 4th right now.

Good bet? Probably not -they'll adjust the show over the next few weeks so by Grand Nationals it will be awesome.