2019 BOA Grand National Championships

unless they request day 1 of prelims - there is no 8 hour rule in Indy :P

I forgot to mention that, groups can choose not to take BOA’s offer for a second day performance. I’d imagine if a group from a further state like Texas requested to perform Friday they’d just be put into the regular draw.

I can see why CTJ opted to go early it’s smart. No 8 hour rule over in Indy indeed

Last year we saw Prosper perform first because they signed up late.

I forgot to mention that, groups can choose not to take BOA’s offer for a second day performance. I’d imagine if a group from a further state like Texas requested to perform Friday they’d just be put into the regular draw.

I can see why CTJ opted to go early it’s smart. No 8 hour rule over in Indy indeed

Last year we saw Prosper perform first because they signed up late.

fly into Indy Wednesday AM - lots of time to practice - practice time on Thursday before a night performance - all day Friday with no commitments= more practice time. Saturday is when the party begins with semis and finals - 8 hour rule  :P  

I’m excited about the panels and judging this year because most of the presumed finalists perform together in the same blocks. That gives us some free time away from the long days in the stadium on Friday. I can definitely get a little rest and do some sightseeing this time around. I just need to go back and read thewho’s awesome cheat sheet on things to do in Indy!

I finally watched a video of Avon for the first time and I agree that their show is special. Their visual design is superb and the guard is phenomenal throughout the entire show. They also have some really great musical moments. But that narration makes me want to physically hurt someone. I thought you were all exaggerating, but its BAD. If they just reapeated it once every now and again in the show it would be fine, but every time the narrator speaks, they say the same thing like 5 different ways for "emphasis" or something and it is super obnoxious.

Maybe I just have sensitive ears but it drives me as crazy as the shrill whistles in the Rouse show (so sorry, Rouse friends!).

I wonder what the judges truly think about it or do they just not comment on it? Avon hasn’t removed any of it (while I was told Rouse did tone theirs down a bit), so I would love to know if they are getting any sort of feedback about it and are just choosing to ignore it, or if the judges like it, or what.

Otherwise I absolutely love the show!

Is this THE pedazos of Micro Marching League fame?!

I was wondering the same thing.  :o

Also, I don't mind the narration in Avon's show, I think it gives some focus to the various parts of the show (even if it is a tad repetitive).  That doesn't take away from the fact that it's a pretty incredible show.  Drill is amazing, colorguard is incredible, drums are fantastic, the music is incredibly high energy, and it's all packaged up in a easy to digest but perfectly executed package.  

We (Avon) haven’t had any negative comments from the judging community regarding the narration. While it appears the spectating community isn’t a fan of it, the judges don’t seem bothered. It may come off as repetitive, though it does tie each part of the show together. Hopefully it doesn’t distract too much from the overall package?

In any case, the performers are enjoying the show, and we hope y’all enjoy it as well! Looking forward to seeing the Texas groups soon!

Interesting....when I watched Avon in Finals of Indy last week the narration confused me.  I kept thinking a feature or solo was going to only consist of an eight note jingle or a song with only eight notes in ir or a famous song that we all were supposed to know with eight repeating notes.  When the songs I heard had way more than eight notes I was confused.  I asked my son about it and he explained it to me that it was the eight notes on a scale.  So for what that is worth, I missed the whole point while he got it on the first try.  Despite that distracting scavenger hunt going on in my brain, I did love the show especially the closer.

Interesting....when I watched Avon in Finals of Indy last week the narration confused me. I kept thinking a feature or solo was going to only consist of an eight note jingle or a song with only eight notes in ir or a famous song that we all were supposed to know with eight repeating notes. When the songs I heard had way more than eight notes I was confused. I asked my son about it and he explained it to me that it was the eight notes on a scale. So for what that is worth, I missed the whole point while he got it on the first try. Despite that distracting scavenger hunt going on in my brain, I did love the show especially the closer.

The eight notes refer to Pachabel’s Canon, which is famous for the eight-note motif that is used throughout the piece. Part 3 of Avon’s show starts with the tubas playing those eight notes before getting into a mashup of music influenced by the eight notes from Pachabel’s Canon. There’s a YouTube video called “Pachabel Rant” (maybe?) that is in the inspiration for that movement.

Fun fact: the narration starts on the eighth count of the show.

I think I’m in the minority because I don’t mind the narration. It adds a bit of quirkinesses to an otherwise very sophisticated yet somewhat unemotional show. The narration is almost so bad that’s it’s good in a way. I just love when great talent and execution is coupled with something weird in the marching arts! I love love love a quirky show.

Glad we could wail on Avon enough to get you to come out from the shadows.  :P But really, welcome to TXBands. One has to ask based on your micro drill writing prowess, are you involved in the Avon program at all?

As others have said, it's an amazing show, but it's amazing-ness in all other facets makes the awkwardness of the narration even more apparent. I'm fine with it the first time, especially as it distorts in the opener. I can even live with the introduction to the modern examples. It's the "...most iconic music EVERRRR" line that borders cringe-y to me. 

Okay, I must be in the extreme minority here because I think Avon is overhyped this year. I agree with what's been said of the narration: it's repetitive and pretty stressful to listen to later in the show when the vocalist is clearly out of breath. But it's their ensemble sound that really doesn't do it for me. The brass sound very wavey and buzzy. Which doesn't really make sense to me because Harloff and company obviously know how to teach brasslines. Not much else I can say, I didn't really hear woodwinds in their ensemble blend but they certainly weren't offensive to me in the way their brass was.

Just my first impressions. I will say that their visuals seem pretty solid. I'm a pretty bad judge of what works GE-wise so I'll leave that subject alone for others to discuss.

Okay, I must be in the extreme minority here because I think Avon is overhyped this year. I agree with what's been said of the narration: it's repetitive and pretty stressful to listen to later in the show when the vocalist is clearly out of breath. But it's their ensemble sound that really doesn't do it for me. The brass sound very wavey and buzzy. Which doesn't really make sense to me because Harloff and company obviously know how to teach brasslines. Not much else I can say, I didn't really hear woodwinds in their ensemble blend but they certainly weren't offensive to me in the way their brass was.

Just my first impressions. I will say that their visuals seem pretty solid. I'm a pretty bad judge of what works GE-wise so I'll leave that subject alone for others to discuss.

Due to the difficulty of their shows Avon typically sounds kinda rough early on. They really don't pull it together until Nationals. That being said I doubt they take music with how some of the Texas bands are playing.

Due to the difficulty of their shows Avon typically sounds kinda rough early on. They really don't pull it together until Nationals. That being said I doubt they take music with how some of the Texas bands are playing.

Yup. 2008 - Avon was beat out by Lawrence Central the entire year until Nationals. Then Avon came in in all their glory and posted the highest finals score ever. Don’t doubt ’em!