2019 BOA San Antonio

How do you guys view prosper going into this competition? I have a friend in the band and they said they only performed 3/5th of their show at BOA Dallas and they’re adding 2 more. I really hope they shock people with those last 2 movements because I’m hoping for the best transition possible for them with new directors I think?

BandGuy, in my opinion they definitely have a chance at finals there. It won’t be easy but I believe they are close. DFW was a shock to them. In looking at the scores, Prospers prelim scores were odd. When you look at the scores against the 10/11 finalist, 5 of the seven judges in prelims had them in the top 10. The other 2 had them way outside of it. As so often is the case, judges odd preferences played a part in the over all result. For whatever reason, those 2 judges had a much different perspective and with them both being part of the GE score it really hurt Prosper in the scoring. Again, this is just my opinion of Prosper, but I wouldn’t sleep on them or count them out.

BandGuy, in my opinion they definitely have a chance at finals there. It won’t be easy but I believe they are close. DFW was a shock to them. In looking at the scores, Prospers prelim scores were odd. When you look at the scores against the 10/11 finalist, 5 of the seven judges in prelims had them in the top 10. The other 2 had them way outside of it. As so often is the case, judges odd preferences played a part in the over all result. For whatever reason, those 2 judges had a much different perspective and with them both being part of the GE score it really hurt Prosper in the scoring. Again, this is just my opinion of Prosper, but I wouldn’t sleep on them or count them out.

That just implies that they're good technically but the show needs a bit more and I'm sure those last two movements will do just that.

While I would normally agree, the week before they did very well in GE. I know you shouldn’t compare scores across contests however two of the 3 judges in GE were BOA adjudicators and the contest scored it the same as BOA 60/40. Just makes me wonder, that’s all.

It was pretty questionable how Keller Central and the other school jumped up a total of 6 points within a week, but I didn’t see them perform at DFW so props to them for being able to improve so quickly!

I saw The Woodlands again tonight at their exhibition at Lone Star Preview. Their props have a new aspect to them since last week, with a pop-art type lettering that spells out New York, New York, in front of a city skyline. However I am hearing things that their props are going to be something on a whole new level by the time San Antonio rolls around. Seems that they’ve had some substantial delays in that regard.

As for their performance itself, I think it’s very obvious that they’ve had a productive week since we saw them last week at Legacy Stadium. They have a lot more volume to them, and they finished out their drill for the show. I still would appreciate a little more of that Woodlands brass sound that we all know and love, but it is significantly better than last week. Their drill looked much cleaner than last week, you could tell they were much more rested than last weekend. Considering that they typically peak later, I think they’re in a very good spot so far this year.

Got bored so I decided to make a prediction based on everything that’s happened this season so far. I’ll probably do another one in a few weeks closer to the actual competition.

Finals Locks (10 Bands) - 9 bands who haven’t missed in years and one band who made top 5 last year and is the reigning 6A State Champ.

Tier 1: (No particular order)

Reagan

FloMo

CTJ

Vandegrift

Hebron

Leander

Tier 2: (No particular order) - VR and TWHS likely making

stronger cases for top half if they can really polish in the next

three weeks.

Vista Ridge

The Woodlands

Marcus

Keller

Bubble - Mix of returning and previous finalists and new contenders. (14 bands)

Tier 1: (No particular order) - Mainly returning finalists

Cedar Ridge

Cedar Park

LD Bell

Westwood

Westlake

Tier 2: (No particular order)

Rouse

Lake Travis

James Bowie

Wakeland

Coppell

Round Rock

Hendrickson

Clear Brook

Pearland

Likely Outside but could surprise: (No particular order)

Oak Ridge

JBA

Prosper

Roma

Timber Creek

Keller Central

Complete Unknown: Vista Murrieta

so now we wait - there are no more big events that will include the big hitters pitted against each other - UIL performances don't account for much as it is not a 6A State year. so many will show up, perform and head straight home (or to a football game) 

looking at the Fri/Sat prelim schedule in SA, prelims performances will be key to get to the show with so many bands that would qualify elsewhere that may be sitting on the outside looking in.I think we will be surprised at those sitting outside this year.

I expect 5 of the Texas 6 pack in Finals - but after that - all bets are off.

GNats will be a heck of a ride this year

Got bored so I decided to make a prediction based on everything that’s happened this season so far. I’ll probably do another one in a few weeks closer to the actual competition.

Finals Locks (10 Bands) - 9 bands who haven’t missed in years and one band who made top 5 last year and is the reigning 6A State Champ.

Tier 1: (No particular order)

Reagan

FloMo

CTJ

Vandegrift

Hebron

Leander

Tier 2: (No particular order) - VR and TWHS likely making

stronger cases for top half if they can really polish in the next

three weeks.

Vista Ridge

The Woodlands

Marcus

Keller

Bubble - Mix of returning and previous finalists and new contenders. (14 bands)

Tier 1: (No particular order) - Mainly returning finalists

Cedar Ridge

Cedar Park

LD Bell

Westwood

Westlake

Tier 2: (No particular order)

Rouse

Lake Travis

James Bowie

Wakeland

Coppell

Round Rock

Hendrickson

Clear Brook

Pearland

Likely Outside but could surprise: (No particular order)

Oak Ridge

Winston Churchill

SFA

JBA

Prosper

Roma

Timber Creek

Keller Central

Complete Unknown: Vista Murrieta

SFA and Winston Churchill are not attending. 

Saw JBA in San Antonio last night. Probably the most exciting show I’ve seen in years. Ppl on here said it was a GE monster and they aren’t kidding. They are a definite contender if they can clean marching and music just a bit more.

These next 2 weeks are going to crucial for music and visual cleanliness if they want to snatch a finals spot which is totally possible. Regardless they will for sure be a top 20 group. 

Looks like someone posted a video of The Woodlands from their exhibition last night, I’d recommend watching before it gets taken down. The difference is night and day between this weekend and last weekend. They definitely had a productive week, and I’m sure it’ll continue to be that way for the rest of the season. I’m excited to see what they put on the field at San Antonio. If they keep it up the way they’re going right now, I think they will be a force to be reckoned with in the Alamodome.