2019 BOA San Antonio

Just to throw my own predictions in here :)

1. Reagan (Absolutely love their show this year, it's so fun!)

2. Hebron (Love their ballad!)

3. Vandegrift (Again, love the ballad!)

4. FloMo (Haven't gotten a chance to see their show yet, but it's FloMo so I'm sure it's amazing)

5. Leander (that's me! my favorite of the three shows I've been in, it's so physically taxing and a blast) 

6. CTJ (I've heard they've made a lot of changes to their show since Austin, and I'm excited to see how they do! Big fan!)

7. Vista Ridge (Really good brass here, got to hear a bit in warm-up this weekend and really enjoyed it once again)

Everything in the bottom seven is even more guesswork as I haven't gotten the chance to watch a lot of these shows

8. The Woodlands

9. Marcus

10. James Bowie

11. Keller

12. Cedar Park

13. Cedar Ridge

14. Rouse

Music: Hebron

GE: Reagan

Visual: Reagan

I don't see anyone sweeping captions this year in finals. As everyone else says, it's going to be an interesting and fun year!

LD bell made a 89.2 in St.Louis finals 

I know its prohibitive to compare scores without context to other regionals, but that still implies a high level of execution, especially if the scores are around 1 point away from Blue Springs. No offense to Rouse or any other of the lower 7 listed, but LD bell has a strong strong chance this year, to not only make finals, but place higher than 14th like last year.

LD bell made a 89.2 in St.Louis finals

I know its prohibitive to compare scores without context to other regionals, but that still implies a high level of execution, especially if the scores are around 1 point away from Blue Springs. No offense to Rouse or any other of the lower 7 listed, but LD bell has a strong strong chance this year, to not only make finals, but place higher than 14th like last year.

and too add on to that, with the crazy high scores in SA every year, Bell still isnt top of the lower 7. Maybe still bottom of the lower 7 maybe even a buddle band. Reason I say this is cuz i think last year or the year before, the lowest finalist band made just over 90. Just to keep that in mind!

We're another week closer so here is an ordered top 14 for SA.

1. Reagan (GE, Vis) this will probably go down as the single best Reagan show of the 2010's.

2.Flowermound. Extremely solid, will probably average a close second in most captions. It's my personal favorite show, that closer is simply incredible.

3.Vandegrift. While I'd love to see an LISD south band break through and finally grab a silver medal, I think bronze is where they'll end up. This show is a perfect successor to their beethoven show in 17 and I expect the same level of success.

4. Hebron (music). What else can be said? They play incredibly well and I fully expect them to clean up visually between SA and GN just like in 2015.  I'm not sure they'll medal in SA but they will be in the hunt for the eagle at GN in my opinion.

5. Claudia taylor johnson. Okay, this one was really tough. There are four bands I could see in this 5th place spot but if I had to pick one it'd be ctj. Ctj has been in the top 5 at SA since I belive 2012 (any ctj peeps feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) and I just don't see that consistency stopping now.

6 Leander. I really love the show design as usual and the music is probably the most difficult and we'll performed they've ever had. I expect some redesigns from them in the coming weeks all the way up to nats. I really am unsure where they'll end up though.

7 Vista ridge. I half expect them to pass leander and ctj again to snag that fifth spot but I'm not quite sure they'll be clean enough this time. Could easily be higher than this.

8. The Woodlands. This is consistently the hardest band for me to place. Their show is unique and loads of fun. I have them at 8th in SA but would not be shocked to see them do what RR did in 2013.

9. Marcus. They are one of the most consistent performimg bands in existence. I don't expect to see them out of finals anytime soon.

10. LD Bell. I think their St. Louis performance speaks for itself, really strong across the board. I'm glad bell is here to stay once more.

11. Westwood. Huge breakout year for them! Some may be surprised that I have them in before some other programs but I think they are running with the hype of their success. The Sky is the limit!

12. James Bowie. I'm not sure I would have had them in if not for their recent performance at Waco. If they can keep up a high level of improvement they could easily secure a spot.

13. Keller. I have them for sure in finals due to how consistent they've been for the past few years. They sound great and the visual will come with time.

14. Okay so kind of a cop-out but I can't confidently give this spot to a single band yet. Obviously Cedar Ridge is the most likely pick as they have consistent late season success, but it's hard to count out bands on the rise like Rouse. Then there is Cedar Park fighting hard to get back in as well. Too close to call at the moment.

Two other small predictions

The first 97+ will be recorded at SA finals

All 14 bands in finals will break 90

CTJ has placed 5th or better at BOA SA since 2011

1. Reagan (GE, Vis) this will probably go down as the single best Reagan show of the 2010's.

2.Flowermound. Extremely solid, will probably average a close second in most captions. It's my personal favorite show, that closer is simply incredible.

3.Vandegrift. While I'd love to see an LISD south band break through and finally grab a silver medal, I think bronze is where they'll end up. This show is a perfect successor to their beethoven show in 17 and I expect the same level of success.

4. Hebron (music). What else can be said? They play incredibly well and I fully expect them to clean up visually between SA and GN just like in 2015.  I'm not sure they'll medal in SA but they will be in the hunt for the eagle at GN in my opinion.

5. Claudia taylor johnson. Okay, this one was really tough. There are four bands I could see in this 5th place spot but if I had to pick one it'd be ctj. Ctj has been in the top 5 at SA since I belive 2012 (any ctj peeps feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) and I just don't see that consistency stopping now.

6 Leander. I really love the show design as usual and the music is probably the most difficult and we'll performed they've ever had. I expect some redesigns from them in the coming weeks all the way up to nats. I really am unsure where they'll end up though.

7 Vista ridge. I half expect them to pass leander and ctj again to snag that fifth spot but I'm not quite sure they'll be clean enough this time. Could easily be higher than this.

8. The Woodlands. This is consistently the hardest band for me to place. Their show is unique and loads of fun. I have them at 8th in SA but would not be shocked to see them do what RR did in 2013.

9. Marcus. They are one of the most consistent performimg bands in existence. I don't expect to see them out of finals anytime soon.

10. LD Bell. I think their St. Louis performance speaks for itself, really strong across the board. I'm glad bell is here to stay once more.

11. Westwood. Huge breakout year for them! Some may be surprised that I have them in before some other programs but I think they are running with the hype of their success. The Sky is the limit!

12. James Bowie. I'm not sure I would have had them in if not for their recent performance at Waco. If they can keep up a high level of improvement they could easily secure a spot.

13. Keller. I have them for sure in finals due to how consistent they've been for the past few years. They sound great and the visual will come with time.

14. Okay so kind of a cop-out but I can't confidently give this spot to a single band yet. Obviously Cedar Ridge is the most likely pick as they have consistent late season success, but it's hard to count out bands on the rise like Rouse. Then there is Cedar Park fighting hard to get back in as well. Too close to call at the moment.

I agree with most of this list. the 3-8 spots certainly have the most intrigue to me. I do think Hebron/Vandy have the best shots at taking 3/4 in some order, but 5-8 is a bit of a tossup to me, which is unfortunate, since one of those bands will fall under the top half/bottom half line in finals. It's extra hard to pin down since 5 of the 6 in that that 3-8 range are our GN attendees. While i would never hope for VR to be the odd one out, seeing our 5 top dogs back to back to back would make for a riveting finals, and an awesome preview for Indianapolis.

So with the change in schedule, it appears Cedar Ridge is moved from panel 1 to panel 2. To account for that I am updating my panel predictions:

My top 5 predictions for panel 1:
Ronald Reagan

Claudia Taylor Johnson

Flower Mound

The Woodlands

James Bowie

Top 5 for panel 2:

Vandegrift

Leander

Vista Ridge

Hebron

LD Bell

The next 4:

Keller (panel 1)

Cedar Ridge (panel 2)

Marcus (panel 2)

Westwood (panel 2)

Just out:

Cedar Park (panel 2)

Westlake (panel 2)

Rouse (panel 1)

Coppell (panel 1)

It is going to be so close between these bands to make finals.

Another thing I think we will see is the "Next 10" (places 15-24 from prelims) will have scored high enough to have made finals at any other Regional or Super Regional including St. Louis or Indy and maybe even GN.

Here’s my prediction after Waco and St Louis. I ordered the bands but also put a range I think they could fall under. Also, I understand that the placement ranges don’t make sense when compared to each other. This was HARD!

1.Reagan (1-3) - Reagan will medal. This show is too clean and well designed not to. Enough said.

2.FloMo (1-5) - They end their season here as well. There’s not enough evidence to confirm a medal lock, but it will be likely.

3.Vandegrift (2-5) - Will likely be the cleanest of the Nats attendees. I personally don’t see this show winning but a medal is very well deserved.

4.Hebron (1-5) - Won music and visual in prelims last season and were not even clean. Their difficulty may push them into a medal slot but I have a feeling that they will be peaking when they need to peak. Has been top 5 for many years.

5.CTJ (1-5) - Again, their difficulty may push them into a medal or even championship spot but I hope they peak later. Would be surprised to see them finish outside top 5.

6.Leander (3-8) - Will be interesting to see how the judges perceive this show. Could be like 2016 where they medaled but I’m leaning more towards something in the middle of that range, therefore I put them 6th.

7.TWHS (3-8) - Could pull a 2016 and medal like Leander. It’s definitely possible as I think the GE could be very very strong. Recent results point to them being on the line between top and bottom half. Again, another band that shouldn’t be peaking here and also has a history for taking their time to get clean.

8.Vista Ridge (5-9) - The show isn’t as magical as Lost and Found, but no one should expect it to be. They are an easy lock for finals but might have a harder time breaking into the top half this year (which they just managed to do in prelims last year).

9.Keller (8-14) - Big range on this one. Extremely close to top half in prelims last year and has made top 10 (actually top 9) the past 2 years (and in prelims in 2016). If they are clean, I don’t see this show finishing outside of the top 10. each year they add more and more difficulty.

10.James Bowie (9 -14) - After some mediocre early season results (for their standards), their Waco showing was very promising. I don’t think the show has as high of a ceiling as Vista or Keller, but their finals chances are looking really good.

11.Cedar Ridge (10-14) - Consistent finalist (except being alternate in 2016). Would probably be surprising to see them miss finals. I’ve noticed that their visual program is usually much safer than their music.

12.Marcus (8-14) - Another very large range. They will obviously be very clean and haven’t missed finals in forever. In my opinion, the show lacks the content and difficulty of the ones I placed above, but they are a finalist until they’re not.

13.LD Bell (11-14) - Bell usually struggles to peak at San Antonio. Snuck into finals last year. This is probably one of their better shows in recent memory but for me it still lacks the difficulty and content of bands I expect to see in the top 10. I think the show was maxing out at St. Louis but still has a good chance to make SA finals.

Fighting for finals (11-14) - Westwood, Westlake, and Cedar Park.

Westwood’s show is flashy and fun but feels like a Vista 2017 to me in the sense that the the band is about to have a breakout moment but maybe needs another year before cracking into San Antonio finals. If they don’t make finals, it will be close.

Cedar Park is definitely having a better year and probably won’t finish 18th this season. The show seems more designed towards UIL success meaning that in my opinion it is missing more exposed playing especially in the brass.

I don’t have much to say about Westlake. Their finals appearance last year was well deserved and it would be again this year.

Wild Card - Vista Murrieta - I’m just scared and excited. Who knows what they will bring to San Antonio this year.

So with the change in schedule, it appears Cedar Ridge is moved from panel 1 to panel 2. To account for that I am updating my panel predictions:

My top 5 predictions for panel 1:

Ronald Reagan

Claudia Taylor Johnson

Flower Mound

The Woodlands

James Bowie

Top 5 for panel 2:

Vandegrift

Leander

Vista Ridge

Hebron

LD Bell

The next 4:

Keller (panel 1)

Cedar Ridge (panel 2)

Marcus (panel 2)

Westwood (panel 2)

Just out:

Cedar Park (panel 2)

Westlake (panel 2)

Rouse (panel 1)

Coppell (panel 1)

It is going to be so close between these bands to make finals.

On paper, your top 13 seem like finals locks, but it would blow my mind if one or two of them didn't make finals. That being said that 14th place spot is going to be tuff to get. 

On paper, your top 13 seem like finals locks, but it would blow my mind if one or two of them didn't make finals. That being said that 14th place spot is going to be tuff to get. 

Yeah, and those lists aren't in order either, just putting my thoughts together on the panels, and who I think are the strongest on each one, etc. Then break down to top half/bottom half, and then finally get to a ranking. Oof.

Weiss is AAA now? They haven't been to any BOA shows this year yet so I couldn't find that info. Thought for sure with Rouse moving up to AAA they would win AA.

Weiss was AA because of not having seniors, so I'm assuming that the senior class will push them over to AAA. They could still be AA, however.

One thing about this contest that's gotten me interested is how many of the usual finalists have had a bit of a competitive drought from the beginning of the season. CTJ, FloMo, Hebron, Cedar Ridge, Marcus and Vista Ridge (I know they just competed at Midland, but they were kinda isolated from other potential finalists at this contest) are particular ones that I'm interested to see here, placement-wise.

One thing about this contest that's gotten me interested is how many of the usual finalists have had a bit of a competitive drought from the beginning of the season. CTJ, FloMo, Hebron, Cedar Ridge, Marcus and Vista Ridge (I know they just competed at Midland, but they were kinda isolated from other potential finalists at this contest) are particular ones that I'm interested to see here, placement-wise.

Hebron, Marcus, and Keller will all be competing against each other this coming weekend at the Duncanville Marching Invitational, so that competition will be a good preview for San Antonio.

Hebron, Marcus, and Keller will all be competing against each other this coming weekend at the Duncanville Marching Invitational, so that competition will be a good preview for San Antonio.

It'll nice to be see where their shows are, but the sheets and scoring are totally different so things could still flip around