3 hours ago, Origin said:

Carmel 
https://youtu.be/-STCtg4vKbI?si=zTdEeylqwTHU77v5

Very expertly designed as usual, but feels quite samey compared to last year. I’m really impressed with how clean a lot of the drill is. Not really feeling the music yet but it’ll probably grow on me. 

Pretty much my exact same reaction. I always WANT to like Carmel given how talented they are, but this one is going to take me awhile. 

2 hours ago, dj_sanders said:

has anyone seen foster high school's band?

haven't found a vid of them yet, was searching a couple days ago.

TL forgot to mute the CyWoods v CyFair game so i got to watch and hear both. both very good. not sure what CyFair's set pieces are supposed to be, like a lot of white hooks, theatrical trudging while carrying them around on their backs. at one point they line them up on the 50 and a white moth flies through them, then i think i remembered they were the ones w/ the Silence of the Lambs looking graphic lol. opening hit sounds like Linkin Park's Crawling but maaaybe just something else that sounds exactly like it lol. CRAAAWLING IIIIIN MY SKIIIIIN!! good stuff lol. it's a banger.

CyWoods is looking and sounding very good. not really sure what it's about but was pretty consistently engaged and not too bothered by dirt. maybe benefits from being not as quirky as last yr, esp for the pacing of the effects. of the two i prefer CyWoods right now, mainly bc it's a bit cleaner. it's also nice to see how far that guard has come the past couple years, they did not look this good at Conroe in 2021.

19 minutes ago, Tubalord11 said:

here’s seems to be a video of Pearland, if someone can confirm or deny if this is them pls do but this account has a video of their San Antonio performance from last year with the same title so I think it is. Anyways assuming it is they sound fantastic! 

Wow! Not only do they sound great but they look great as well. Really loving the vibe of the show so far, and from the later videos the band uniforms look gorgeous as well. So much potential and I cannot wait to see this show cleaned up later into the season. (Assuming this is pearland based off of the maroon shirts worn on their side.)

Did anyone happen to catch the name of their show?

5 minutes ago, solyxx said:

Wow! Not only do they sound great but they look great as well. Really loving the vibe of the show so far, and from the later videos the band uniforms look gorgeous as well. So much potential and I cannot wait to see this show cleaned up later into the season. (Assuming this is pearland based off of the maroon shirts worn on their side.)

Did anyone happen to catch the name of their show?

Yes they do also look incredible! It’s called Illuminate, hence the moon props. You can definitely tell they want GN’s finals, and I think they will get what they want if they keep up the work, which we know they will! 

5 hours ago, Tubalord11 said:

here’s seems to be a video of Pearland, if someone can confirm or deny if this is them pls do but this account has a video of their San Antonio performance from last year with the same title so I think it is. Anyways assuming it is they sound fantastic! 

It certainly looks like the show @packwick described. That's a Wes Cartwright production, through and through.

Nice to hear New Moon in the Old Moon's Arms again. Such an emotional piece of music! If you click on some other videos on that account, you can see their costumes, too, which are reminiscent of Broken Arrow.

They really do look and sound great for September. I'm over here wondering if they can creep into the top 3 at Katy. 🤔

6 hours ago, Rubisco said:

It certainly looks like the show @packwick described. That's a Wes Cartwright production, through and through.

Nice to hear New Moon in the Old Moon's Arms again. Such an emotional piece of music! If you click on some other videos on that account, you can see their costumes, too, which are reminiscent of Broken Arrow.

They really do look and sound great for September. I'm over here wondering if they can creep into the top 3 at Katy. 🤔

top 3 at that contest = tall order but maybe. def think they're pretty much a lock for Nat finals unless the judges suddenly get tired of the recycled Cartwrightisms. which they def weren't last yr when they had like 5 Cartwright shows or whatever in finals. eeeven then i feel like saminess would only impact the imagination part of the sheets, performance would still be at a finalist level.

On 9/9/2023 at 1:21 AM, LostChoirGuy said:

Looks like a lot of north Texas games were delayed or canceled mid game so I think a lot of bands missed in a possible performance.

Yes, we have friends with a middle schooler looking forward to performing with Hebron at their middle school night, but half time was cancelled. Sad for those kids!

2 hours ago, Tubalord11 said:

Here’s the woodlands performance from tonight! Guessing the uniforms are temporary, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE the music! Some much different styles and textures, and they also look incredible! Have absolutely no idea what they show is about but I’m in love! 

lol so i watched this one and then the TexanLive one which was like a perfect high cam w/o sound.

myyy extended essay take (it or leave it), won't talk about twhs again until Katy:

content wise, really liking it. set design maaaybe could be a little more balanced, side 2 a liiittle heavy w/ the bench, hoping there's more to it. Raiford says the design team sets up the ball but the band has to spike it. feeeel like that's a liiiittle too generous for the design team sometimes LOL, but this yr it may end up being accurate, we'll see.

both the vis and mus hold my attention start to finish so far. love the 2nd part, the visual layering, variety, dynamics, it's alive, also reminds me of Gaudi's mosaic style + occult symbols, like it's built w/ distinct fragments. love all the tempo and stylistic shifts in the music. the downward arpeggiated chord in the 3rd section as the music slows down is already kinda sorta goosebumps. really like the percussion writing, sounds cleaner than it did last yr too.

perf wise, solid overall for Sept, lots of great things happening, good characteristic sounds, good control of tempo (w/ a metronome), mostly good rhythmic clarity, but def some big room for improvement too. mellos were reaaaally really out of tune tonight on a couple of those sustains, kinda "yikes!" bad in spots, haven't heard it like that yet, i was recoiling listening to it lol, like Dracula in sunlight. trumpets need to be more present in the epic opening bc once they start moving the melody drops out. pretty much all the soloists and small ensembles need to find some, ahem, la pasión!! tutti moment at end of opener quite unbalanced rn, articulations unclear. that ugly little pod of low brass files that moves across the 50 at the start of part 2 is still quite ugly + driving me nuts lol. pretty much all the opener starting at the jazz running needs major work. caaareful not to bite off more than u can chew in 8 hrs. aaaaaand last but not least i heard the woodwinds for only like 3 secs of a 3 minute and 30 sec performance. ummm why r they even there, just to dance??? LOL

guard is stunning from upstairs, just bonkers good, so much depth. both flags and rifles already reaaaally uniform for Sept and they have so many difficult traveling phrases and tosses, they make it look too easy. my fave rn is when the full rifle line tosses like a quad and catches it with one hand and immediately spins it back up into the air for like a double or triple w/ a turn under it and then catches it at port. it's sooo clean already and there are so many doing it like wtf. love all the exchange tosses too, def pulling an Avon there at the end w/ the flinging of the rifles. still haven't seen any of the trick tosses i saw in May..... like group illusions, front walkovers, forward rolls, cartwheels, knee spins, etc. ahem IM WAITING. lots of big cool flag moments tonight, kinda Broken Arrowish, but the work is a lot more advanced. some form issues, pulsed jazz running files of dancers near beginning not in alignment as they run for example. make sure you commit to all of your movement also, sell it to us. also get it clean. thiiink i saw some temps du fleches that diiiidnt quite have the full tension and release they should have for example. also some more basic things, like "was that supposed to be a coupe or a passe". watch Vandegrifts dance team or the Highsteppers LOL.

lol but yeah i mean it's Sept, so... overall very good.

26 minutes ago, packwick said:

lol so i watched this one and then the TexanLive one which was like a perfect high cam w/o sound.

myyy extended essay take (it or leave it), won't talk about twhs again until Katy:

content wise, really liking it. set design maaaybe could be a little more balanced, side 2 a liiittle heavy w/ the bench, hoping there's more to it. Raiford says the design team sets up the ball but the band has to spike it. feeeel like that's a liiiittle too generous for the design team sometimes LOL, but this yr it may end up being accurate, we'll see.

both the vis and mus hold my attention start to finish so far. love the 2nd part, the visual layering, variety, dynamics, it's alive, also reminds me of Gaudi's mosaic style + occult symbols, like it's built w/ distinct fragments. love all the tempo and stylistic shifts in the music. the downward arpeggiated chord in the 3rd section as the music slows down is already kinda sorta goosebumps. really like the percussion writing, sounds cleaner than it did last yr too.

perf wise, solid overall for Sept, lots of great things happening, good characteristic sounds, good control of tempo (w/ a metronome), mostly good rhythmic clarity, but def some big room for improvement too. mellos were reaaaally really out of tune tonight on a couple of those sustains, kinda "yikes!" bad in spots, haven't heard it like that yet, i was recoiling listening to it lol, like Dracula in sunlight. trumpets need to be more present in the epic opening bc once they start moving the melody drops out. pretty much all the soloists and small ensembles need to find some, ahem, la pasión!! tutti moment at end of opener quite unbalanced rn, articulations unclear. that ugly little pod of low brass files that moves across the 50 at the start of part 2 is still quite ugly + driving me nuts lol. pretty much all the opener starting at the jazz running needs major work. caaareful not to bite off more than u can chew in 8 hrs. aaaaaand last but not least i heard the woodwinds for only like 3 secs of a 3 minute and 30 sec performance. ummm why r they even there, just to dance??? LOL

guard is stunning from upstairs, just bonkers good, so much depth. both flags and rifles already reaaaally uniform for Sept and they have so many difficult traveling phrases and tosses, they make it look too easy. my fave rn is when the full rifle line tosses like a quad and catches it with one hand and immediately spins it back up into the air for like a double or triple w/ a turn under it and then catches it at port. it's sooo clean already and there are so many doing it like wtf. love all the exchange tosses too, def pulling an Avon there at the end w/ the flinging of the rifles. still haven't seen any of the trick tosses i saw in May..... like group illusions, front walkovers, forward rolls, cartwheels, knee spins, etc. ahem IM WAITING. lots of big cool flag moments tonight, kinda Broken Arrowish, but the work is a lot more advanced. some form issues, pulsed jazz running files of dancers near beginning not in alignment as they run for example. make sure you commit to all of your movement also, sell it to us. also get it clean. thiiink i saw some temps du fleches that diiiidnt quite have the full tension and release they should have for example. also some more basic things, like "was that supposed to be a coupe or a passe". watch Vandegrifts dance team or the Highsteppers LOL.

lol but yeah i mean it's Sept, so... overall very good.

Yeah, the key phrase there is, "It's September." 😄

I love their production this season! I think it's among the best I've seen so far, which I guess shouldn't be that surprising, given how consistent they are. I can't wait to see how it develops! And the costumes!

I wish I could go to Katy or Conroe this year, but alas. 😢

3 hours ago, Tubalord11 said:

Here’s the woodlands performance from tonight! Guessing the uniforms are temporary, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE the music! Some much different styles and textures, and they also look incredible! Have absolutely no idea what they show is about but I’m in love! 

Does anyone know if those props are custom-made?
Because they look suspiciously like the Blue Devils 2022 props without the stairs.