8:30 PM - Westlake H.S., TX
8:45 PM - Lake Travis H.S., TX
9:00 PM - Round Rock H.S., TX
9:15 PM - Cedar Park H.S., TX
9:30 PM - Rouse H.S., TX
9:45 PM - Cedar Ridge H.S., TX
10:00 PM - Vandegrift H.S., TX
10:15 PM - Vista Ridge H.S., TX
10:30 PM - Manor New Tech H.S., TX (exhibition)

Darn! Only one off, very much deserved by lake Travis I flip flopped between them and dripping springs a lot. Very interested to see where CP lands within the 4A placements after finals. I definitely thought this was the most coherent RR show in the last 4/5 years, good to see them having some success again. 

2 minutes ago, DaRen said:

Does anyone know how finalist order is decided? 

Every band draws prior to announcements which helps determine the order of finalists. Essentially its random EXCEPT finals are in bottom half/top half split. 

So first 6 to perform scored in the bottom half of the 12 finalists and their order is determined on the number they drew.

Last 6 to perform score in the top half and their order is also determined on the number they drew.

Example from last year, CTJ at grand nats drew the very last number which means they were to perform last in finals except they were not in the top half therefore they performed last of the bottom split.

Hendrickson: So nice to see them back in finals! There are so many sounds in the winds and percussion that emulate a train, it’s really immersive! They are performing with SO MUCH energy, I love it! This show really comes alive at night, all the props and flags really pop.

Leander: Awesome attitude on the percussion feature to start the second movement. The brass then steadily builds into unrelenting power. I’m excited to see how this show grows in the coming weeks, especially as the guard gets more comfortable.

Westwood: They are definitely developing an identity of bringing well known themes to the field, but with a twist. I love that I can hear those woodwind runs while they’re playing backfield at the beginning. When they bring the color back, I think it can be a bigger moment visually. Their brass is great, as always.

Strong performances from the bottom half! Really nice full sounds from every group, and though I feel the visual programs aren't quite at the level needed to break into the top half, it was still a great first half of finals! Here's where I'd have the rankings right now:

Westlake
Leander
Hendrickson
James Bowie
Westwood
Lake Travis

James Bowie: Nice horns and woodwinds runs to start the show off. There is so much going on in the second movement, wow. The drill is constantly circling and intertwining. The staging in the backfield playing in the ballad is so difficult. Can’t wait to see this show continue to evolve.

Westlake: I love this show!! I can’t get enough of the music, it’s so so so well done. The clarinet solo and choir are *chefs kiss*. They do a lot of playing on the move. Like last year, I think they’ll peak later right when it really matters. 

Lake Travis: A gorgeous production all around. They don’t produce a single bad sound and also look super clean. They have the fundamentals locked down, so now they can work on maxing out the GE of the show.