2022 BOA DFW (Oct. 8)

Congrats to Hebron on a decisive victory over very stiff competition! They're the front-runners heading into late season. The rest of that top 10 or so group of bands in Texas are more difficult to sort, as they all seem to be within striking distance of each other. It will be very, very competitive!

24 minutes ago, Tubalord11 said:

It is. Hebron will win everything this season! Yes, Ik it’s Texas, but one come San Antonio, nobody will come even close to touching them. They will win it again, all of it

23 minutes ago, Tubalord11 said:

Here’s the best I could find for Flomo. Hopefully they lost Hebron 2

i can one up you

9 hours ago, LostChoirGuy said:

I would really love to see any recording from this contest as well.  I still have not seen anything from Hebron or Flower Mound as was not able to watch tonight.

I usually always have a recording from this contest, butttt since my lame friends didn’t wanna stay for finals, they’ll instead make it up to me and we’ll be going to catch them at Area C finals at the end of the month, definitely cannot wait for that👀👀

Sheesh, so it looks like the same judge that gave Keller 18th in prelims for individual visual also gave them 12 in finals for visual GE. Which dropped their scores in both rounds enough to place at least 1 spot lower vs had they been placed similarly to the other judges. Also looks like why SLC missed out on finals.

I’m not trying to crucify the judge btw. Just stating an interesting observation I made while looking at the recaps.

I really feel like Wakeland was better then coppell and I think almost all the judges but the individual music judge thought so aswell. 15.9 individual compared to 17.9 ensemble. Only a .125 gap between coppell and wakeland this could have easily gone the other way.

Very interesting to see TC drop in finals. Definitely feel like something needs to change about top half bottom half. Almost feels like the judges are judging two different competitions.

56 minutes ago, josephbandfan said:

Sheesh, so it looks like the same judge that gave Keller 18th in prelims for individual visual also gave them 12 in finals for visual GE. Which dropped their scores in both rounds enough to place at least 1 spot lower vs had they been placed similarly to the other judges. Also looks like why SLC missed out on finals.

I’m not trying to crucify the judge btw. Just stating an interesting observation I made while looking at the recaps.

Reminds me of Area B back in 2018! Good times...

14 minutes ago, Niceone said:

Definitely feel like something needs to change about top half bottom half. Almost feels like the judges are judging two different competitions.

There are problems with both systems, but at then end of the day, people are always going to be more concerned that the judges get the winner right versus the bands in the middle. No one’s gonna really care in a year if they’re 6th vs 7th, but they will care if they go from 1st to 3rd in national finals. I guess they could randomize in groups of 4 if they really wanted to get rid of the split, but that just makes everything more complicated. 

1 hour ago, Tubalord11 said:

Congratulations to everyone here! Yesterday was such an amazing day, and yes I was on cite until the finals retreat ended(although I did get dinner between prelims and finals). I defiantly surprised that Southlake didn't make it over Martin, but both programs were amazing, and Southlake did have some major issues with their props in prelims. I don't really agree with the finals rankings just based on what I saw and heard... this is what I had

Hebron(all captions) 

Flomo

Marcus

Coppell

Wakeland 

TC

Keller 

Waxahachie 

LoneStar

Bell
Rockhill

James Martin 

I have absolutely no hate for LD Bell, but their run last night was so dirty, especially musically. There was a good amount of girt in the brass, and their cover ups were not very clean. Thier Oboe soloist however sounded fantastic, but it was just a very easy show compared to everyone I had above them, and Imo was a lot dirtier, but I'm not a judge, just don't think that they were 6th, and the fact that they were 5th in prelims doesn't make sense either. Come Area, I have a feeling we will be seeing some major changes, and I really believe TC and Keller will jump over them. But great job to everyone! Hebron is once again cracked and yes, they will be undefeated this season. 

yes! ld bell totally has an easy show! [park and bark is kept to an extent- will be obvious with full closer later on. they're not forming easy to clean grids and simple lines, but rather elaborate sets with tons of curves that aren't necessarily easy to keep clean and perfect. the music is also a major step up compared to previous years so that must mean that it's definitely be easy for bell's standards! and then the overall show design is actually good despite the design team change. and of course, bell knows how to play in boa.]

side note, loud doesn't = good

33 minutes ago, Raydurs said:

yes! ld bell totally has an easy show! [park and bark is kept to an extent- will be obvious with full closer later on. they're not forming easy to clean grids and simple lines, but rather elaborate sets with tons of curves that aren't necessarily easy to keep clean and perfect. the music is also a major step up compared to previous years so that must mean that it's definitely be easy for bell's standards! and then the overall show design is actually good despite the design team change. and of course, bell knows how to play in boa.]

side note, loud doesn't = good

it’s nice to see another bell alum on these forums! i agree with a lot of what you said, their music this year has a lot more content than when i marched and they move and play quite a bit too. I like also how you said bell knows how to play in boa. You don’t need a super mega powerful hornline that will blow your ears off, all it takes is a well designed show and you’ll be all set. But all a lot of people here in texas just seemingly care about is just how many notes and how loud a hornline can play. 

Not trying to be biased here, and I'm not saying the judging was poor, either. But music GE tanked us (Lone Star) last night, if you cut that caption out entirely of the scores we move up two places (9th to 7th), so I hope we can get that issue fixed! Otherwise really exciting night, and really high scores this year too, surprised and excited to see what the rest of the season has

10 minutes ago, randomeuphonist said:

Not trying to be biased here, and I'm not saying the judging was poor, either. But music GE tanked us (Lone Star) last night, if you cut that caption out entirely of the scores we move up two places (9th to 7th), so I hope we can get that issue fixed! Otherwise really exciting night, and really high scores this year too, surprised and excited to see what the rest of the season has

Bro y’all’s show might have been my personal favorite! I was there for everyone, and y’all’s music was just so crazy and fun! Just the whole show idea as a whole was so well executed, and y’all’s sound was so powerful!!!

1 hour ago, randomeuphonist said:

Loved y’all’s show!! There were quite a few videos of you guys out there before the contest and I liked your show a lot, but it felt a bit flat, and video often does a lot of injustice to many groups, hearing you guys live was awesome! I appreciated the commitment to the angry, dark “primal” theme, the ballad was a great departure from it all, and you guys just have a great sound overall, hope you guys keep having a successful season!