BOA Austin 2018

And the year prior to that Round Rock was in SA and State Finals while Cedar Ridge wasn't. A lot can change in a year.

And keep in mind that for these two bands, there have been significant staff changes so the last and previous years don't really make much difference, if any. I see both as resets and we'll just have to wait and see how much any of what is left from the past really influences the current year.

And keep in mind that for these two bands, there have been significant staff changes so the last and previous years don't really make much difference, if any. I see both as resets and we'll just have to wait and see how much any of what is left from the past really influences the current year.

Exactly. Wishing great showings for both. I can't wait to see what everyone puts on.

The top three will be interesting. From the videos I’ve seen..

Vandy is probably the most dynamic and impactful w.r.t to music, but their visual book is somewhat tame.

CTJ’s show is somewhat confusing right now. Their visual book is insanely demanding and very obviously so that it is impressive. I’m not sure how cool the musical book is. The jury is still out.

Leander’s show design is a huge step up from last year. I think they were heading a little too far down the path of novelty and frills, but recognized it and adjusted. This show seems really cool and they seem pretty confident playing it.

Depending on the judges, I could see any of those three winning. I don’t see CTJ running away with a three point margin, but I also don’t see them without a medal. I think we texans sometimes forgot that execution is heavily discounted conditional on difficulty, especially early season.

The top three will be interesting. From the videos I’ve seen..

Vandy is probably the most dynamic and impactful w.r.t to music, but their visual book is somewhat tame.

CTJ’s show is somewhat confusing right now. Their visual book is insanely demanding and very obviously so that it is impressive. I’m not sure how cool the musical book is. The jury is still out.

Leander’s show design is a huge step up from last year. I think they were heading a little too far down the path of novelty and frills, but recognized it and adjusted. This show seems really cool and they seem pretty confident playing it.

Depending on the judges, I could see any of those three winning. I don’t see CTJ running away with a three point margin, but I also don’t see them without a medal. I think we texans sometimes forgot that execution is heavily discounted conditional on difficulty, especially early season.

I agree that these are the top 3 for Austin-

Vandy - the video I have seen - I would agree that the visual is tame

CTJ - from what I have seen, the video out there does not capture a lot of missing pieces that will be there in Austin. the music book is very strong and powerful

Leander - great show and excited to see where it goes as the year progresses

I think these are the 3 medals in Austin - the question is the order - should be a great show

One thing we have to keep in mind is that we haven’t seen videos yet of the other big players at BOA Austin. I’m not quite ready to discount others for a medal just yet. Round Rock always does well here and has a fresh new look this year. They will be a contender. Cedar Park is looking pretty good as well, and the judges usually reward them highly. Both of “The Ridges” (Cedar and Vista) are on the edge of greatness. Hendrickson blew me away last year. But the group I’m convinced is going to surprise us all this year is Bowie. They’re ready and hungry.

Is this contest really only two weeks away?! I’m praying for sunshine and a fantastic competition for everyone!

I agree - outside the the SA super regional, Austin has the deepest field in BOA Texas - there will be 7 bands in Austin that made finals in San Antonio last year and there has been a new winner in Austin every year for the last 4 years - 2 weeks and counting

I agree - outside the the SA super regional, Austin has the deepest field in BOA Texas - there will be 7 bands in Austin that made finals in San Antonio last year and there has been a new winner in Austin every year for the last 4 years - 2 weeks and counting

I agree completely.  BOA Austin seems to always be the most stacked finals of all the Texas competitions, other than San Antonio of course.  

The CRHS v Vandegrift game was fantastic! CRHS's band was LEAGUES better than when I last saw them, they're improving at a crazy rate! Vandegrift unfortunately didn't perform their show, but what they did play sounded fantastic tone and technique wise and they were a class act! (wish I could say the same about their student section, I can't believe what I saw from some of the people there) Overall a great experience and I can't wait to catch both at BoA Austin!

The CRHS v Vandegrift game was fantastic! CRHS's band was LEAGUES better than when I last saw them, they're improving at a crazy rate! Vandegrift unfortunately didn't perform their show, but what they did play sounded fantastic tone and technique wise and they were a class act! (wish I could say the same about their student section, I can't believe what I saw from some of the people there) Overall a great experience and I can't wait to catch both at BoA Austin!

I was also at the game. I second everything that’s being said. The student section was... something else.

hoping to see them live tonight - but it just started pouring - 10 minutes ago

Rain cleared out enough for CTJ homecoming - they ran the full show after the game with props for the first time - only the new uniforms were missing. Great show and concept - the sound at the top of the 50 yard line was phenomenal.

that show still has a huge upside, but I think it will do well next week in McAllen and in Austin the following week.