2018 BOA San Antonio?

Said it before and I'll say it again, limit the mic levels. Louder is NOT better. It distorts the blend of the band and makes it seem like the directors do not believe in the playing abilities of their students. Good bands in our isd have gone to the way of amp enhancement...makes me sad.

I have issues with the mic'ing at this year's event. Several top bands who mic'd their soloists were using very heavy compression on the mics (limiting dynamic range, increasing perceived loudness which has been proven to equate to more enjoyment by the listener).

What's to stop a band from running multiple ORTF stereo set ups in front of the band and broadcasting that through the PA's used for soloists under extremely heavy compression? Nothing. This would increase perceived volume and dramatically affect the emotional response of a crowd and judges. The ability to add depth to the sound of a band with almost imperceptible delays and reverbs would be gigantic. And it can all be set up in a fire and forget mode so that nobody would ever need to even touch it.  

I am highly attuned to hearing compression and limiting having run large recording studios for years and participating in multiple compressor showdowns. I can identify compressors and get REALLY close to the settings that are used just by hearing it. I think that it needs to come to an end before every band sounds like an FM radio broadcast, lots of noise, no range. 

I understand why they do it, but I do not believe that it has a place on the field that is any good for the contest. If I were a director and had someone running tech for a band right now I would go HEAVY into mic'ing as all of the boards that bands are using are more than capable of dramatically affecting the outcome. I even saw a few bands with techs running the boards and faders live. This should have been a student, not a staff member at least. Boards should be zeroed out before they arrive on field (but with a computer you can quickly reset them). 

I have issues with the mic'ing at this year's event. Several top bands who mic'd their soloists were using very heavy compression on the mics (limiting dynamic range, increasing perceived loudness which has been proven to equate to more enjoyment by the listener).

What's to stop a band from running multiple ORTF stereo set ups in front of the band and broadcasting that through the PA's used for soloists under extremely heavy compression? Nothing. This would increase perceived volume and dramatically affect the emotional response of a crowd and judges. The ability to add depth to the sound of a band with almost imperceptible delays and reverbs would be gigantic. And it can all be set up in a fire and forget mode so that nobody would ever need to even touch it.

I am highly attuned to hearing compression and limiting having run large recording studios for years and participating in multiple compressor showdowns. I can identify compressors and get REALLY close to the settings that are used just by hearing it. I think that it needs to come to an end before every band sounds like an FM radio broadcast, lots of noise, no range.

I understand why they do it, but I do not believe that it has a place on the field that is any good for the contest. If I were a director and had someone running tech for a band right now I would go HEAVY into mic'ing as all of the boards that bands are using are more than capable of dramatically affecting the outcome. I even saw a few bands with techs running the boards and faders live. This should have been a student, not a staff member at least. Boards should be zeroed out before they arrive on field (but with a computer you can quickly reset them).

Agree 100%.

I also noticed the "louder than typical" crowd noise throughout VR's show on the stream..was this just Vista's typical well-traveling parent section, or did this really get the crowd going that much? Seems like the substantial 7th to 4th jump in finals was 'willed' by the crowd a bit.

Oh the crowd was LIT for Vista Ridge. No group got even remotely close to the response they did. The standing ovation started when they still had the better part of a minute left in their closer. They probably had to turn the audience mic *down* on Flo!

The Vista Ridge faithful clearly made more noise than is typical during their band's performance. They seemed to be oblivious to traditional etiquette and I saw numerous complaints and requests to sit down during the performance. The rest of the crowd gave them a thunderous, and we'll deserved, standing ovation when the show ended. In my view it was primarily their parents who were on their feet early.

The Vista Ridge faithful clearly made more noise than is typical during their band's performance. They seemed to be oblivious to traditional etiquette and I saw numerous complaints and requests to sit down during the performance. The rest of the crowd gave them a thunderous, and we'll deserved, standing ovation when the show ended. In my view it was primarily their parents who were on their feet early.

That ain’t it chief, this isn’t concert band. When someone moves you up out of your seat to cheer they’ve done something right. Ever been to a drum corps show? You’re idea of marching band “traditional etiquette” is wrong.

That ain’t it chief, this isn’t concert band. When someone moves you up out of your seat to cheer they’ve done something right. Ever been to a drum corps show? You’re idea of marching band “traditional etiquette” is wrong.

100% agree, the coolest thing about the blue devils show in 17 was that a standing ovation happened right in the middle of the show because of how moving the ballad was. As a performer it sucks when everyone holds their excitement in. To finish a big hit or a movement and then see the crowd erupt is one of the best feelings in the entire activity.

100% agree, the coolest thing about the blue devils show in 17 was that a standing ovation happened right in the middle of the show because of how moving the ballad was. As a performer it sucks when everyone holds their excitement in. To finish a big hit or a movement and then see the crowd erupt is one of the best feelings in the entire activity.

Amen. I remember my first exposure to that at a Florida show on tour. It then drives you to work so hard for the same reaction at a small show in Fairfield, OH.

Evidently we need to stop being sticks in the mud and let the kids know when they do something we love. (Some of us already do this lol)

I have to agree with you on this one. Bursts of excitement like this make special memories for the artform. Kind of like Santa Clara in the finals in 1992 (I think it was 1992) when they completely surprised everyone with the bottle dance at the end. Nobody knew it was coming and the crowd went absolutely crazy and was on their feet as soon as they realized what was happening. You couldn't even hear the corps they were cheering so loud. That was something I will never forget and was one of the greatest moments in DCI history. Imagine if everyone just stayed in their seats. Also, we wouldn't want to take that great emotional moment away from the Vista Ridge parents and fans. We all wish for those moments for ourselves.

Yep, I had a perfect vantage point during finals of the whole 100 level. I knew where the two big VR groups were sitting in the top of 113 and the middle-top of 111.

People stood up literally everywhere. And early. And often. And people CHEERED. Just a group of parents couldn’t produce the fervor I witnessed. Vista Ridge got to EVERYONE.

Vista Ridge & Cedar Ridge made the biggest gains from prelims to finals.

By points:

1. Vista Ridge +3.025   More than double the next highest increase. Great Job! How unusual is such a jump? The last comparable one that immediately comes to mind is the jump Cedar Park had at Grand Nationals in 2016, which was +2.850 between semi-finals and finals. I'm sure its happened previously, but I don't have time to check.

2. Flower Mound +1.450

3. The Woodlands +1.400

4. Hebron +1.250

5. Ronald Reagan +0.900

6. Leander +0.875

7. Claudia Taylor Johnson +0.600

8. Vandegrift +0.250

9. Cedar Ridge +0.075

All other bands had a decrease in score

All the top 7 had a score increase, only 2 of the bottom 7 did.

By Placement:

1. The Woodlands +4

2. Vista Ridge +3 (tie)

2. Cedar Ridge +3 (tie)

4. Flower Mound +1

No other bands improved their placement in finals.

2 upward movers in the top 7 (the 2 with the largest score increases), and 2 upward movers in the bottom 7 (the 2 that increased their scores).

Leander did jump over Vandegrift in Finals, but due to Vista Ridge's rocket up, they maintained their placement. Marcus jumped over Hendrickson, but due to Cedar Ridge and The Woodlands jumps, actually dropped 1 placement.

Congratulations to Flower Mound, Ronald Reagan, and Hebron! Three amazing medal winning shows- I was fortunate to see these shows several times over the weekend. The Flomarching videos cut to close ups at many of the best show moments which is unfortunate for those who didn’t make the trip to San Antonio. I’m sure there will be some better videos available soon. At least I hope!

Proud Cedar Ridge Band Mom here! First off, wanted to congratulate all TX bands on a fabulous season! So many amazing performances! Have to give our Raider Band a shout out for making history this year with a 10th place BOA SA finals placement. It was also our highest BOA finals score ever. This is especially exciting considering the first competitive run with our full show on the field was Friday at 4pm during prelims.