UIL 6A 2023 State Marching Band Contest (Oct. 30. & 31)

LeanderMomma

These are the average scores from the top 15 bands. Marcus and Hebron are so close together right now

vandegrift 963.7142857
Marcus 960.7142857
Hebron 960.4285714

Flowermound  957

woodlands 952.2857143
Reagan 948.8571429
vista ridge 947.5714286
Coppell 937.2857143
Round Rock 929.7142857
Pearland 928.7142857
Keller 920.7142857
Bridgeland 917.1428571
Cy-Fair 913.5714286
Waxahachie 911.1428571
CTJ 901.1428571

4 minutes ago, JMR2022 said:

The rule does not state that there is a "few additional seconds" allowed. the committee ruling yesterday, was that they were concerned that it was an error of the time keeper running the clock even though they had the video with a time stamp on it. My comment of adding CTJ to finals was that UIL drug their feet on this all day and once they announced that Waxahachie had advanced it would not be fair to take it away from them. But it is also not fair to CTJ that would have advanced.  As for the comment that UIL does not favor their type of show - correct - CTJ is going to Grand Nats this year and generally they always do a BOA type show, that has been their style and they have always done the pre-show and started prior to the school being announced. But after opening in 2008, they have  advanced to State every year since 2010 and finals every year since 2012. during that span they have also picked up a UIL Bronze Medal in 2014 and a Gold Medal in 2020. At the end of the day, it comes down to a rule that has been used many times in the past to exclude programs including Roma in 2019. If you have the rule then enforce the rule - if not, then change the rule or do away with it - 42 other programs followed it during yesterdays competition. 

Did CTJ challenge this at all?

16 minutes ago, BandFan95 said:

And knowing this, you STILL are on the soapbox regarding CTJ getting robbed and Wax getting disqualified?

I'm going to ask all of you all something. How many of you have volunteered to work in the press box to work the clock or work as an announcer? It's all done by parents and volunteers. No one gets paid to do it. Maybe the announcers get to do it at the state level but that's it. Knowing that, the level of pressure to do this correctly for the timekeepers is high. I remember the first year I worked as an announcer for a competition, the timekeepers would start the clock as soon as the band started. We had to correct them on more than one occasion and remind them they get that time regardless. We had to restart the clock for a band at another competition. Why? Because people make mistakes all the time because they are human. 

I am not pushing for Wax to get disqualified - once they were announced you cannot pull them back - not fair to the kids - but CTJ should have been added. they all play by the same rules - as noted above, CTJ starts their show prior to their announcement to meet that same rule - everyone adjusts for the UIL 5 minute min - 8 minute max.  I am more than aware that there are a great deal of unpaid volunteers at these events - as I will spend my entire weekend at the dome for BOA-SA as I have done for years. the fact remains that there is a rule that was bent - UIL made accommodations for WAX but not for CTJ. either enforce the rule or do away with it 

22 minutes ago, JustABandDad said:

My question is if Midland or another non-finalist school would have went over would they have had the same leniency granted to them

Yes and it has happened in the past, you just don’t hear about it because those programs are under less scrutiny and this forum doesn’t put their every move under a microscope.