UIL 6A 2023 State Marching Band Contest (Oct. 30. & 31)

LeanderMomma

On 7/18/2023 at 10:46 AM, TrenBS said:

Gonna try and revive this early along with 5A, but any of yall predicting some new faces/finalists? The senior class is now the class most effected by covid IMO for high school, with the freshman now barely effected by COVID being their 1st year (which does depend on the teaching of the middle schools but generally teachers can run them through the basics fast after a year), so Im expecting some shift in power in the middle portion of bands and curious if anyone has some takes.

Cy-Woods, L.D Bell, bridgeland are some new finalists I could see, Bridgeland has been very very clean for this early in the season.

41 minutes ago, servingcont_ra said:

Extremely bold predictions:

1. Hebron

2. Vandegrift

3. Ronald Reagan

4. The Woodlands

5. Claudia Taylor Johnson

6. Vista Ridge

7. Coppell

8. Flower Mound

9. Southlake Carroll

10. Round Rock

11. Marcus

12. Pearland

13. Keller

14. Waxahachie

I don’t see Cedar Ridge going from 3rd to not making finals, but it’s definitely possible for SLC to make it. I know they did really well at Nats, but I wouldn’t use that as a reason to put them in finals or even get out of Area B for that matter. UIL and BOA are completely different, and their show imo seems more boa oriented than UIL. I’d love for them to do well, but we definitely need to see how they do before determining how well they could do. But do love you having high hopes for them, I think they could surprise a lot of people this year! 

33 minutes ago, Tubalord11 said:

I don’t see Cedar Ridge going from 3rd to not making finals, but it’s definitely possible for SLC to make it. I know they did really well at Nats, but I wouldn’t use that as a reason to put them in finals or even get out of Area B for that matter. UIL and BOA are completely different, and their show imo seems more boa oriented than UIL. I’d love for them to do well, but we definitely need to see how they do before determining how well they could do. But do love you having high hopes for them, I think they could surprise a lot of people this year! 

rooting for the underdog is always more fun

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

juuudging panels have been posted for all classes, again 6A is verrry DCI/BOAish, but ofc the system itself is more music perf oriented. less in-state influence i guess.

Steve Bentley (mus), Jeff Brooks (mus), Darrin Davis (mus), Glenn Fugett (mus), Mark Hoskins (mus), Jay Kennedy (mus), Kyle Miller (vis), Carl Nelson (vis), Chris Romanowski (mus), Mike Stone (vis), Jim Sturgeon (vis), Steve Wessels (mus)

perc judges likely will be J Brooks and C Romanowksi swapping b/w prelims and finals. Mark Hoskins likely judging brass in at least one round lol. S Wessels for woodwinds both rounds?? only one i don't know for sure is brass/perc oriented lol. design imma guess it'll trade off bw 1 of D Davis, G Fugett, J Kennedy and 1 of M Stone and K Miller, both groups judge effect at major DCI/BOA comps for mus and vis respectively. other perf captions = everyone else not doing design lol.

Looking across state qualifiers, no Cedar Ridge is a huge shock.

I think the following are highly likely finalists

Coppell

Waxahachie

Hebron

Marcus

Flomo

Reagan

Round Rock

CTJ (rumors of their demise greatly exaggerated)

Pearland

Woodlands

Vandy

Vista

all are consistent finalists and short of a catastrophe, I don’t see any missing finals.

That leaves

LD Bell

Westlake

Westwood

Lake Travis

Dripping Springs

fighting for the last two spots in finals (it’s 14 finalists this year right?)

It’s going to be an exciting contest! It’s going to feel weird that it’s before BOA.

8 hours ago, Asaiah said:

Congrats to all the 6A State Qualifiers:

Area A
1. Permian
2. Midland
3. Pebble Hills
4. Coronado

Area B
1. Coppell
2. Waxahachie
3. LD Bell
4. Timber Creek
5. Keller
6. Haltom
7. Berkner

Area C
1. Hebron
2. Marcus
3. Flower Mound
4. Wylie
5. Prosper
6. Wylie East

Area D
1. Ronald Reagan
2. Round Rock
3. CTJ
4. Westwood
5. Dripping Springs

Area E
1. Pearland
2. Dickinson
3. Clear Brook
4. Dawson

Area F
1. The Woodlands
2. North Shore
3. Klein Oak
4. Tomball Memorial
5. College Park

Area G
1. PSJA
2. Alexander
3. United

Area H
1. Vandegrift
2. Vista Ridge
3. Westlake
4. Lake Travis

Area I
1. Bridgeland
2. Cy-Fair
3. Tompkins
4. Cypress Woods
5. Seven Lakes

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe that 43 bands in state prelims makes this the largest SMBC in UIL history!