2023 BOA San Antonio Super Regional (Nov. 3 & 4)

LeanderMomma

57 minutes ago, GeekBoy54 said:

Post UIL State predictions:

Finalists-

Vandegrift

The Woodlands

Marcus

Vista Ridge

Rouse

Ronald Reagan

Wakeland

Cedar Ridge

Bridgeland

Round Rock

Claudia Taylor Johnson

Westwood

Cedar Park

(1 more...I think it's going to be either LD Bell, Leander, or James Bowie.) 

I like this list.

The Westwood kids were exhausted at state. They rolled in at 4:30AM on Monday morning from St. Louis, got a nap, then headed to San Antonio. Really looking forward to seeing their show. And same for Cedar Ridge! I didn't realize their director left this summer.  I think maybe Rouse may finish a bit higher. 

It's going to be fun!! Good luck to all of the bands.

27 minutes ago, VistaGuardDad said:

Is UIL and BoA scoring that different that Reagan will be able to move that far? My wife and I were at finals last night and were both dumbfounded that Reagan was 7th. Both of us felt that there was no way there were six shows better than them. It might have been the high that I was on after seeing our show, but I personally loved Reagan's show and thought it was the best all around. Even being a total homer I was ok with Reagan being first and Vista being second :)

It's crazy, just as soon as I start thinking I have this thing figured out they remind me I know nothing.

Yeah, I think Regans shows overall seem to do better with boa than UIL, and it’s definitely possible that they jump that much! 

2 minutes ago, itsstephenyo said:

Quick answer, yes, very much so. I know this is kinda ancient history, but I'll always remember the 2004 season in which Stephen F. Austin placed like 20 something at SMBC and then got 4th at Grand Nationals, winning music. Just shows that they score very, very differently. 

In fairness, UIL has shifted over the years to become closer to BOA than it was back in 2004, or even 2014 for that matter. I expect some differences for sure but nothing incredibly drastic. 

2 hours ago, crunchycookie3 said:

Though I am personally quite fond of the Wakeland show, it would seem that their show is typically less well received in prelims than in finals (3rd in Prosper Prelims, 2nd in Area Prelims.) It may be more on the bubble than many would currently think, though I am unsure. Cedar Ridge has a show--while excellently performed--that lacks a certain "it" factor for me. They may be closer to the edge of finals than previously thought. After such a great UIL Prelims run with disappointing results, I'm really hoping Bell pulls into finals here. It would be so nice to see Leander back in finals here though! And I'm sure Bowie is looking to make some noise before Nats. Lake Travis is another one to not overlook!

When it comes to area prelims it is rumored that Wakeland got 2nd in prelims as they had a early performance time lone star having the second to last performance, and with the new judging the later bands have a higher chance of placing better and UIL has a lot of music judging and can be judged better when you stand still, something that Wakeland has a history of not doing

4 hours ago, Band1234556 said:

My predictions ( Please tell me if missed anybody who should be in finals)

1. Vandergrift

2. Reagan

3. Rouse

4. Marcus

5. Cedar park

6. Vista Ridge

7. The Woodlands

8. Wakeland

9. Round rock

10. Lake Travis

11. CTJ

12. Westwood

13. Cedar Ridge

14. Moe and Gene Johnson

BRIDGELAND!!!

4 hours ago, natertater21000 said:

In fairness, UIL has shifted over the years to become closer to BOA than it was back in 2004, or even 2014 for that matter. I expect some differences for sure but nothing incredibly drastic. 

this is true. different weightings for sure, but more similar than in past. actually i think the influx of dci/boa ppl is contributing to tw's somewhat increased success in UIL the past couple years relative to pre-system change when they always got 8th or whatever.

that said BOA has some crucial differences even w/ the overlap. for example i think tw will be happy that BOA's individual music judge is on the field and can sample woodwinds during tutti moments, unlike the UIL judge lol.

Don't forget the panel judging! It will play a huge part on the bottom half. 

Panel 1:

1. Vandegrift
2. The Woodlands 
3. Rouse
4. Cedar Park
5. Westwood
6. Cedar Ridge
7. L.D. Bell
8. Westlake
9. Timber Creek 

Panel 2:

1. Marcus

2. Vista Ridge

3. Ronald Reagan

4. Wakeland

5. Round Rock

6. Bridgeland

7. Claudia Taylor Johnson

8. Lake Travis

9. Leander

10. James Bowie

11. McNeil

12. Winston Churchill 

7 hours ago, itsstephenyo said:

Quick answer, yes, very much so. I know this is kinda ancient history, but I'll always remember the 2004 season in which Stephen F. Austin placed like 20 something at SMBC and then got 4th at Grand Nationals, winning music. Just shows that they score very, very differently. 

Round Rock failed to make Area D Finals in 2012 but placed 8th at San Antonio (would have been 7th without a penalty). So yeah this weekend is a whole new ball game, especially with the change in line up.

17 minutes ago, Nny14 said:

Round Rock failed to make Area D Finals in 2012 but placed 8th at San Antonio (would have been 7th without a penalty). So yeah this weekend is a whole new ball game, especially with the change in line up.

I remember that. They played first at 8:00am. It was about 40° and the sun was just coming over the top of the other side of the stadium and you could barely see the field. By 10:00, it was warm and comfortable. It was a very bad position to perform in. I remember another local school laughing and mocking the fact that they didn't make finals that day. Funny enough, the next week at San Antonio, that band didn't make the finals there.

9 minutes ago, Hard Core Band Fan said:

I remember that. They played first at 8:00am. It was about 40° and the sun was just coming over the top of the other side of the stadium and you could barely see the field. By 10:00, it was warm and comfortable. It was a very bad position to perform in. I remember another local school laughing and mocking the fact that they didn't make finals that day. Funny enough, the next week at San Antonio, that band didn't make the finals there.

I feel like I remember hearing about them having a bassoon crack due to the cold as well. Brutal call time conditions+old school UIL slotting. 

3 hours ago, Hard Core Band Fan said:

Takes a severe weather change to crack a bassoon. It's usually a drop or wrenching one of the tenons. Either way, very repairable, fortunately. Repaired them for 21 years. 

Not marching, but at Carnegie Hall in Pittsburgh I was performing. It was -10F outside and the stage was nice and warm.  We had just finshed a rehearsal and people we proceeding off stage. A stage hand opened a door as our bassoonist was walking through the backstage and she caught a terrible breeze. We all heard it crack,a cry, and a wail of dispair. I was sick to my stomach as I had been friends with her since high school, dated her in college, and I knew what her bassoon meant to her.  Luckily, Carnegie Mellon's lead bassoon professor was close and brought her a new axe so she could melt faces in Beethoven's 5th. 

Tough spot for a high schooler and marching competitor, not many spares to be found, especially a bassoon. 

23 hours ago, crunchycookie3 said:

Though I am personally quite fond of the Wakeland show, it would seem that their show is typically less well received in prelims than in finals (3rd in Prosper Prelims, 2nd in Area Prelims.) It may be more on the bubble than many would currently think, though I am unsure. Cedar Ridge has a show--while excellently performed--that lacks a certain "it" factor for me. They may be closer to the edge of finals than previously thought. After such a great UIL Prelims run with disappointing results, I'm really hoping Bell pulls into finals here. It would be so nice to see Leander back in finals here though! And I'm sure Bowie is looking to make some noise before Nats. Lake Travis is another one to not overlook!

Doing some homework on this one

Wakeland had the 8 slot in prelims out of 22, not long after the rain had mostly stopped at the Area contest.  They were 1 point out of a first place tie with Lonestar and they (Lonestar) were 2nd to last in the 21 spot.  Lonestar has a great show and are certainly one of the top 5A bands in the state of Texas, no shame in finishing 2nd in prelims to them.  

At Prosper the also had the 8 slot out of 30 bands.  Scored an 85.7 which tied Prosper 6A and was .9 from LD Bell 6A which had 1st place in prelims.

In both contests, Wakeland had a later draw in Finals, which everyone agrees is the best place to be.  Just my thoughts but having an early draw at both events and being within a point of 1st in both events is not a bad place to be.  

Wakeland swept finals in Area, all 1st place positions and they won BOA Prosper by 2.25 points.

(copied from HornRank so sorry if you have to see this twice lol)

I see a lot of people leaving Leander out of finals contention and I think it may be worthwhile to take a look at how they have finished their past two seasons. 

In 2021 Leander was 7th in Austin finals with a 77.80 and ended the season in 9th at SA with a 90.50, an increase of 12.7 points over the course of the season.

In 2022 Leander was 12th in Austin finals with a 74.10 and ended the season in 16th at SA with an 88.15, an increase of 14.05 points(!!)

2 seasons is not enough data to call this a trend but just for fun (if you're like me and find looking at data fun), that would be an average point increase of 13.375.

Leander's Austin finals score of 78.10 plus the (average) increase of 13.375 would put them at a 91.475. That's a score that would be comfortably in finals.

Does this data mean anything tangible for this season? Most likely no, but it'll be interesting to see if this level of growth happens for a third year in a row.

12 minutes ago, lost said:

Realistically I think Vandegrift has long pulled far away from Rouse on all fronts, but it’ll be nice to see both of them under the dome. 

Rouse is a contender for the music caption, imo. Even if everything else is tilted towards Vandy and other groups in other captions. I think it’s enough for them to contend for the podium, “pulled away on all fronts” is too strong for me imo

1 hour ago, natertater21000 said:

(copied from HornRank so sorry if you have to see this twice lol)

I see a lot of people leaving Leander out of finals contention and I think it may be worthwhile to take a look at how they have finished their past two seasons. 

In 2021 Leander was 7th in Austin finals with a 77.80 and ended the season in 9th at SA with a 90.50, an increase of 12.7 points over the course of the season.

In 2022 Leander was 12th in Austin finals with a 74.10 and ended the season in 16th at SA with an 88.15, an increase of 14.05 points(!!)

2 seasons is not enough data to call this a trend but just for fun (if you're like me and find looking at data fun), that would be an average point increase of 13.375.

Leander's Austin finals score of 78.10 plus the (average) increase of 13.375 would put them at a 91.475. That's a score that would be comfortably in finals.

Does this data mean anything tangible for this season? Most likely no, but it'll be interesting to see if this level of growth happens for a third year in a row.

They are definitely a contender for finals, strong bubble band, things can easily swing their way to where they make it in, no doubt.