2019 Band Productions

ITS GAME DAY!!!

Can't wait to perform tonight, although we are not performing our UIL show tonight. We are, however, performing what we call the "Fun Show" where everybody in the band has a spot on the field to march in. That is nearly 350 of us this year!!! 

We are performing Fireball. We even have a visual section in it too!

Everybody have a great show day/night!

Found it interesting that the front ensemble (pit) is angled out in the field on 2 of those videos. After a season chasing DCI, I'm catching different things than I normally would have. Looking forward to hearing these live in a couple months.

The thing that’s so interesting to me about that is that these bands plan these things so far ahead that there isn’t really any time to copy DCI trends from the summer. Is it that these designers also work with DCI groups so they bring concepts over or just a coincidence? I’m wonder what conversations go down in the band directors/designer world that lead to new weird trends.

Here are some vids I found on youtube:

Vista Ridge

Keller

Coppell

What a great find! Some of these are even unlisted!

Vista Ridge's excites me the most. They just take right off, flying across the field. All that jazz running! I'm wondering if this is a CTJ/Hebron effect in action. After last year, with that surprise Hebron visual caption win in prelims at San Antonio, it's obvious that judges are really starting to look at the demands placed on the performers. Anyway, my favorite moment is when the soprano sax is playing the solo and the side 2 woodwinds intrude, moving across the field in that sort of dendritic form. I'm wondering if the Avon drill and guard guy is still writing for them. Daniel Wiles, is it? The drill doesn't quite look as Avon-ish as last year's. That could just be the angle, or the fact that the show is pretty dirty in that video. Also, pretty much all the flag work (besides the opening hit) is tragic. I think it's going to take a while to get a handle on this show.

Keller is giving the best performance of these groups (frankly, by a lot), but I think some of that is because the video was taken later. I think there's a lot to admire, but I'm not in love with the show yet. I think some of the reason is that the visual program isn't really keeping my attention right now. It's not evolving in that unexpected way that makes you kind of tilt your head to the side and go, "Oh, well that was interesting."

Has anybody tried getting a subscription to TexanLive.com? They live-stream and post video recordings of football games, including halftime shows. I've used it in the past to check out certain Houston-area groups. I'm interested in checking out Cy-Fair and Seven Lakes, but I'm sort of cheap. I want to see if either will be the next Vista Ridge this year! :) Also, Cy-Fair and The Woodlands are on there, but it's only audio. Actually, speaking of TWHS, I found a football game audio recording via Google. Woodlands Football Radio? Something like that. Pretty sure I've used it in the past. The guys actually (mostly) shut up and listened to the band for once! (But only for the home team.) You can hear brass and percussion pretty clearly, and some woodwinds (usually when they're on mic). I'm hesitant to judge music performance based on the recording, since I've been burned by that in the past, but the music book is pretty killer. A big bucket of fun. Lots of character, and great trumpet solos. They're bringing big band era realness this year. About 3 and half minutes with metronome. Right up to the ballad probably. They played over the announcer at the beginning, which I thought was kind of interesting. (Intentional?) Lots of tempo changes, but overall it's exciting, and the music has enough syncopation that you can't easily hear the left-right-left-right of the feet in the music, which is good. Hopefully the visual matches! I'm a little disappointed that when the music speeds up to Galop from Fancy Free that they didn't do the frantic part at the very end, and it ends with an abrupt "bop", but I feel like I'd mind it less if I weren't familiar with the music.

What a great find! Some of these are even unlisted!

Vista Ridge's excites me the most. They just take right off, flying across the field. All that jazz running! I'm wondering if this is a CTJ/Hebron effect in action. After last year, with that surprise Hebron visual caption win in prelims at San Antonio, it's obvious that judges are really starting to look at the demands placed on the performers. Anyway, my favorite moment is when the soprano sax is playing the solo and the side 2 woodwinds intrude, moving across the field in that sort of dendritic form. I'm wondering if the Avon drill and guard guy is still writing for them. Daniel Wiles, is it? The drill doesn't quite look as Avon-ish as last year's. That could just be the angle, or the fact that the show is pretty dirty in that video. Also, pretty much all the flag work (besides the opening hit) is tragic. I think it's going to take a while to get a handle on this show.

Keller is giving the best performance of these groups (frankly, by a lot), but I think some of that is because the video was taken later. I think there's a lot to admire, but I'm not in love with the show yet. I think some of the reason is that the visual program isn't really keeping my attention right now. It's not evolving in that unexpected way that makes you kind of tilt your head to the side and go, "Oh, well that was interesting."

Has anybody tried getting a subscription to TexanLive.com? They live-stream and post video recordings of football games, including halftime shows. I've used it in the past to check out certain Houston-area groups. I'm interested in checking out Cy-Fair and Seven Lakes, but I'm sort of cheap. I want to see if either will be the next Vista Ridge this year! :) Also, Cy-Fair and The Woodlands are on there, but it's only audio. Actually, speaking of TWHS, I found a football game audio recording via Google. Woodlands Football Radio? Something like that. Pretty sure I've used it in the past. The guys actually (mostly) shut up and listened to the band for once! (But only for the home team.) You can hear brass and percussion pretty clearly, and some woodwinds (usually when they're on mic). I'm hesitant to judge music performance based on the recording, since I've been burned by that in the past, but the music book is pretty killer. A big bucket of fun. Lots of character, and great trumpet solos. They're bringing big band era realness this year. About 3 and half minutes with metronome. Right up to the ballad probably. They played over the announcer at the beginning, which I thought was kind of interesting. (Intentional?) Lots of tempo changes, but overall it's exciting, and the music has enough syncopation that you can't easily hear the left-right-left-right of the feet in the music, which is good. Hopefully the visual matches! I'm a little disappointed that when the music speeds up to Galop from Fancy Free that they didn't do the frantic part at the very end, and it ends with an abrupt "bop", but I feel like I'd mind it less if I weren't familiar with the music.

I’ve heard Keller is working with Leon May (Carolina Crown, Boston Crusaders, Broken Arrow) now. They are well known for the slow build up, so I expect there are a lot more levels that have yet to be put in. Everything up to that hit is actually part of a pre-show it sounds like. Also heard that rain kept their props and electronics out of the show Friday.

While both Keller and VR are both doing the offset pit concept, I think they’re both already doing a better job than Crown did at field coverage. Crowns stage always felt like a barrier to me, and they really only crossed it during the ballad. Keller and VR appear to be doing a better job of working around it (or in VR’s case flying around it).

Love Keller’s music book. Someone remind me why I know this music???

And VR didn’t want early videos of this for a reason, this thing is a beast and they may struggle with it for a bit, even up to Austin. But there is a fascinating base to build on for this show and I fully expect it to explode into San Antonio.

I'm a little disappointed that when the music speeds up to Galop from Fancy Free that they didn't do the frantic part at the very end, and it ends with an abrupt "bop", but I feel like I'd mind it less if I weren't familiar with the music.

I loved hearing your comments! They're always really detailed and insightful. We couldn't get all of part 2 on the field by the first football game thanks to the weather but trust me, it won't end abruptly like that I'm the future.