2019 Band Productions

the rehearsals I have seen of the CTJ show have been phenomenal - excited to see how the show is received - the music is uplifting and has the signature CTJ dance/body movement that we have all come to expect from them - it is AWESOME

Their instagram story showed a bit of the prop and pit setup and I love it!

Does anyone that went to the VR preview have any details for those of us (me) that foolishly made other plans last night and couldn’t make it? Pretty please? :-)

It’s an ambitious program. I felt like I was watching the crafting of a DCI show. If they can clean that sucker up, it’s going to be magnificent.

It’s an ambitious program. I felt like I was watching the crafting of a DCI show. If they can clean that sucker up, it’s going to be magnificent.

Thank you! So excited for this one! Now to look up the VR football schedule to figure out when to get the next glimpse!

Thank you! So excited for this one! Now to look up the VR football schedule to figure out when to get the next glimpse!

They play Rouse in two weeks at Gupton. Perfect opportunity to see both VR and Rouse! One of my sweet former preschoolers (I’m a preschool director) is the head drum major at Rouse this year and one of my staff has a color guard daughter at Vista, so I may be there too!

Vista Ridge may do the "Silver Band" show for the early season games and not Turning the Tables.  It will be a fun and shorter show and all members of the band will participate.   It's a more basic show to help those who don't get a Marching Spot in this year's competition show get some experience for next year.

I have a feeling that this year will blow 2017 out of the water (in terms of level of competition at San Antonio). Based on what I’ve seen/heard, the top dogs know what they have to do to remain competitive and the ambition is through the roof.

I have a feeling that this year will blow 2017 out of the water (in terms of level of competition at San Antonio). Based on what I’ve seen/heard, the top dogs know what they have to do to remain competitive and the ambition is through the roof.

Yep. And they sure do have some high ranking DCI techs! That’ll help tons.

Just got back from Hebron’s end of summer concert; they’re coming hard for that eagle. And I feel pretty comfortable saying that they have never sounded better, especially the brass. The book stylistically is like the lovechild of Carolina crown and Santa Clara vanguard. Show is called “Amongst the Stars,” but it is a working title.

Just got back from Hebron’s end of summer concert; they’re coming hard for that eagle. And I feel pretty comfortable saying that they have never sounded better, especially the brass. The book stylistically is like the lovechild of Carolina crown and Santa Clara vanguard. Show is called “Amongst the Stars,” but it is a working title.

They’ll be tough to beat for sure. I sure would love to see Texas take at least two medals in Indy!

Something I'd like to add regarding TWHS show (that perhaps I shouldn't) is that we're also playing music from Bernstein's Fancy Free Ballet. This is honestly the most excited I've been for one of our shows!

That's good to hear! More music to choose from is always a good thing.

I think The Woodlands uses Bernstein because no one else is willing to risk the copyright process. They found a loophole by using the film score from On the Waterfront, but On the Town doesn’t have such a score. Therefore, they had to get every piece of music they want to perform approved by the owners of the copyright, and they tend to be very strict on how things can be used. It seems to have a very drum corps-esque vibe to it from what their students have told me. It will be interesting to see them step out of their comfort zone of having very traditional show styles. Who knows, maybe they’ll join the ranks of the bands using costumes this year as well. Sailor costumes are an obvious but simple option so it wouldn’t surprise me.

I'm actually a bit surprised that the costu-forms (or whatever you call them) haven't caught on sooner in BOA. By that, I mean the full-on costumes, not just the slight uniform embellishments. From the late 90s to the early 00s, the top BOA groups were actually a bit ahead of DCI in the innovation department. But that seems to have flipped a little bit in recent years. TWHS is one of the groups I would have expected to adopt costumes a couple years ago, if only because their main show designer is the Bluecoats' main show designer. But I understand that cost can be an issue for any group. Now, how do I feel about a band dressing up like sailors? I don't know. Honestly, it sounds fun, but also a little hokey. It makes me wonder what kind of show they're going for, if that's actually what they're doing. Are they just recreating the On the Town musical on the field? That would be different from the On the Waterfront show, which had nothing to do with the movie besides the music. Instead, that show was a very literal interpretation of being on a waterfront.

I think I speak for everyone that we hope that Hebron makes a hard run at the Eagle.I have no doubt that their music book is top notch - the concern with Hebron is never their music, as it is top notch. but without the Visual and GE component, the eagle will not be in reach. Hebron only does DFW and BOA SA - so if I look at SA (later in season) and see that their Visual scores the past 3 years range from 6th-4th and GE from 5th - 3rd - while all are going up, the Visual and GE are major components to win the eagle.

this is not a slight to Hebron, I am just saying that to win a eagle, a program needs to hit on all 3 cylinders - not just music

I think I speak for everyone that we hope that Hebron makes a hard run at the Eagle.I have no doubt that their music book is top notch - the concern with Hebron is never their music, as it is top notch. but without the Visual and GE component, the eagle will not be in reach. Hebron only does DFW and BOA SA - so if I look at SA (later in season) and see that their Visual scores the past 3 years range from 6th-4th and GE from 5th - 3rd - while all are going up, the Visual and GE are major components to win the eagle.

this is not a slight to Hebron, I am just saying that to win a eagle, a program needs to hit on all 3 cylinders - not just music

As is the case with any band out there right now, the majority of the visual/GE flair hasn’t been added in yet. Summer band just ended! I imagine that would be why the music was the most memorable/obvious factor right now.

The directors at Hebron are brilliant, and they have a stellar design staff. I’m sure they’ll be just fine amping it up for nationals.