HORNRANK - Thoughts on the rankings in a non-Indy year

...wish there was a Texas version of HornRank  :unsure:

There already is but it's usually more like a Top 20+. Just don't count the bands in the Top 30 that don't have TX in their name. Then you can participate in the ranking process by adding the TX bands from The Next 10 in the order you prefer.

Or am I the one missing something here?

I feel that HornRank placing Tarpon Springs at #1 is a little strange. Their finals score was less than Ronald Reagan’s, and BOA conroe was a week before BOA Orlando. I feel that a few more bands, like the top few at BOA Conroe, should be a little closer to Tarpon if not above.

You can’t compare scores between competitions. Additionally, the depth of competition was much higher at Conroe, which generally will push scores up. Tarpon could only work with that they had. Just watching Tarpon’s show explains why they got ranked first. It’s just extremely well done and well performed.

You can’t compare scores between competitions. Additionally, the depth of competition was much higher at Conroe, which generally will push scores up. Tarpon could only work with that they had. Just watching Tarpon’s show explains why they got ranked first. It’s just extremely well done and well performed.

The fact that the competition wasn’t a deep is exactly my point. If Tarpon had ever competed against the Texas bands, which they most likely never will until Grand Nats, and even then pretty unlikely with the pattern they follow, I’m curious to see how scores would have played out. Technically because we will never know, there is a lot of guesswork that determines rankings other than justified opinions.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree - the prolonged absence is the issue and my point

If I look at the trending data going back to 1990 - only 2 programs in Texas have brought home the Eagle

LD Bell - in a 12 year span they attended GNats 9 times including 6 years in a row from 2005 to 2010  winning 1 gold, 3 silvers, and 2 bronze medals

TWHS - since 1998, they have attended GNats 10 times winning the gold in 2013

Reagan - has attended 6 times with 4 of them in a 6 year span and took 2 silvers in that time.

I think we can all agree that Texas has some of the finest marching arts programs in the country - the point of the original post is are those programs going to be happy with a ranking from Horn Rank - or bringing home the Eagle

it is just a shame that so many programs in Texas finish strong in San Antonio and do not make it to the field in Indy - so my hope would be for more of those programs that medal in SA advance or recognize that BOA SA is more comparable to GNats.

Yet another reason to move GNats south or west: to recognize the great band programs all across the country, not just Indiana. Going to GNats in Indy is expensive, so moving GNats around the country makes it more accessible to more bands and would allow more bands to be recognized on the national level for their achievements.

I also think smaller bands should be recognized on the national level and not just the big bands, but that is a discussion for another time.

• 2 weeks later...

After reading this and a few other threads here, I thought I'd give rankings a try for myself. Check it out and let me know what y'all think! This was a lot of fun for me to figure it out, so I hope that with some support I will continue next season :)

https://texasmarching.home.blog

Love it! Great methodology!

After reading this and a few other threads here, I thought I'd give rankings a try for myself. Check it out and let me know what y'all think! This was a lot of fun for me to figure it out, so I hope that with some support I will continue next season :)

https://texasmarching.home.blog

Can you explain how Leander is ahead of Hebron, considering they did not best them in a single round of competition in either BOA or UIL?