HORNRANK - Thoughts on the rankings in a non-Indy year

Can you explain how Leander is ahead of Hebron, considering they did not best them in a single round of competition in either BOA or UIL?

I noticed that was really weird, too. But exactly what principalagent said. I included it as an example of why the system needs some modification:

"For example, not once in the season did Leader directly score higher than Hebron, but because Leander received so many more caption awards in Class 3A (sweeping BOTH BOA competitions they attended) they got the extra 2 point lead." (https://texasmarching.home.blog/2018/11/12/my-thoughts-on-ranking-systems/#more-78)

It was only a 2 point lead, so any little changes could have flipped them. There are some flaws in the way I decided points should be awarded, but it seems like most of the list is pretty consistent with Horn Rank and actual BOA/UIL placements, and any of those little flaws are only 2-10 points apart anyway.

Vista jumps Hebron and reagan after winning state, but niether leander or especially vandegrift jump ctj after state. I think Vista is where they should be but that just feels inconsistent.

It’s not too outlandish. VR was within a point of if Reagan and less than .5 from Hebron at SA, but scored substantially better at UIL despite the fact that Hebron had a better run at state than BOA.

Leander and Reagan effectively tied at state. Vande did do better than Reagan at state, but was pretty far off at BOA and hornrank seems to lend preference to BOA.

• 1 month later...