2018 Show Announcements

Gosh RudeDog. That’s just...RUDE! ;)

Come on...just one little hint?

So,

Director of bands and staff of Hendrickson have been posted. I can now divulge that Mr. Atkinson (his bio is posted under faculty at hawksband.org) was the favorite among students, boosters and Mr. G himself. REHHS is ready to go for 2018.

Go Hawk Band!

Vandegrift: 

I'm no marching contest judge by any means, but they sound scary good for only three days of working on the music.

Also, does any recognize the music they are playing? It is definitely a departure from their usual repertoire of "standard classical music" (for lack of better terminology), though to be clear, I love whatever they are playing.

God, they are going to sound good this year. Things just keep getting better for that ensemble.

Last I checked I am not on drugs... but didn't one of the top DCI groups recently play that fanfare around 3 minutes? like maybe BD? Don't know what any of this music is, although I for sure recognize it by sound, which is making my investigating harder. Thanks for anyone who can help out

God, they are going to sound good this year. Things just keep getting better for that ensemble.

Last I checked I am not on drugs... but didn't one of the top DCI groups recently play that fanfare around 3 minutes? like maybe BD? Don't know what any of this music is, although I for sure recognize it by sound, which is making my investigating harder. Thanks for anyone who can help out

Vandy is certainly scary as a competitor. They’re going to do great at State.

• 2 weeks later...

Since the LISD bands have always been the best at giving us something to digest over the summer, I'll give some first takes-

Cedar Park - Dark Cedar Park is the best Cedar Park. All my favorite CP shows from over the years have been the ones where they've gone to the dark side ('08 still topping all for me)

Vista Ridge - They've definitely found their niche, and this one sounds like yet another adventure we'll be going on. That opener sounds like a movie soundtrack and they sound as powerful as ever. 

Leander -  I like to compare Leander's rise to the Bluecoats. They both rose to the top around the same time and did so by putting out some super innovative shows with abstract, but visually captivating themes. Like the Bluecoats, I think this will be the year of Leander trying to find the balance of innovation and "clean-ability" that they had in 2016, but may have taken too far last year. First movement sounds like they're on track to do so.

Vandy - I've always admired their inhumanly clean shows, but I've always found them to be a bit on the safe side. From the preview...this show sounds like a big leap out of their "comfort zone" and I think it gives them a legitimate shot at medaling this year, and if the visual package is anywhere near as big of a step as the musical book appears to be, then this will be a contender for gold.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think this year will be a great year for my band. We are trying many new things for us including harder drill, music, and finally having props on the field. We have several solos/duets but all i know so far is a sax solo and a flute duet. Overall i feel like we will have a great shot on going back to state this year.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How do we feel about bagpipes in marching band? You’ll definitely get to experience some this year, maybe even more than once.

If you tell me they are doing an Outlander theme (with the bagpipes), then I will be their fan :)

Side note, year ago (many, many, years ago), I played in an Open Band during high school.  We didn't have State competitions for 

marching in Wisconsin until after I left school.    The open band was like a Drum Corp in that it tooks kids from age 14/15 to 21 (I think) and we 

competed in the summer in concert, parade, and field show competitions.  

Anyway, one of our big competitors  was a band from Illinois called the Dundee Scots, which marched the bagpipes.  you always knew when they were around

as you could hear those bagpipes playing for miles!  And yes, they marched in kilts :)  

There is also what I think they call a Senior Drum Corp out of Wisconsin called the Racine Kiltes, and they still play at events, bagpipes, kilts and all!   

How do we feel about bagpipes in marching band? You’ll definitely get to experience some this year, maybe even more than once.

I just found out which band you speak of, and I'm not surprised considering the things they have recently used on the field. Lets just say its a well known band that has been going all out the last few years. This should be intriguing.