Listening to a video of Summit from prelims, there was a real head scratcher of a decision made from the music judge giving them the lowest music score of the day. They played with such power and confidence, and they had some really technical stuff in the brass and woodwinds. I just don't see how it's possible they got the score they got. Being there in the warmups with my band, they had their hit at Swan Lake, it sounded amazing. They sounded right about the same from the video I saw of them. I just don't know what that Music judge was thinking, and with the larger impact the music judge had, it knocked them all the way down to 20th. No way a band that powerful and technical should get 20th in anything

hopefully other folks in this thread agree with me

I agree. I thought Summit was overall pretty good visually and musically, and while I don’t think they were near finals-worthy, they were definitely underrated. I think the band with the little planets, Chisholm Trail maybe? was underrated as well. I knew that Waxahachie would be good, though. Their show is great this year, and everyone slept on them

Ugh. Hebron's ballad. I think it might be better than 360. It's amazing: if you haven't seen it live or over stream you're missing out... it's giving me HUGE BD vibes from this past summer! Flugel solo, tbone solo, very jazzy, and LONG!! I love that the show just takes time away from the CRAZY technique in the beginning (double tonguing features back and forth in the brass, some double tonguing in the woodwinds (yes you read that right) and just amazing technical playing) to carve out a beautiful, beautiful groove. Hebron- you stole my heart tonight <3

really don't get what the show's about but honestly idc i'll listen to that ballad all day everyday and not give a darn about what it means.

I gotta see that show now!

“I didn’t see their show due to a much needed Whataburger break (patty melt for the win) but it sounds like I need to see what’s going on.”

Was this Whataburger break need triggered by Wakeland’s Whataburger colors paired with their big W?

Yes it was. I left the competition after skipping lunch to watch bands and just never got up to go eat. I had the exact same thought as I saw Wakeland perform first in finals and gave in to my inner demons and got my patty melt. Luckily enough I have a FloMarching account and streamed it on my way to whataburger and caught almost all of every band except for Coppell. I will add that the quality of FloMarching is nothing compared to seeing them live. Some of my friends who live in Houston had Flomo winning, but I agreed with the judging. Hebron was cleaner musically, and surprisingly clean visually. That's the biggest improvement from them this year to me, they actually are really clean visually. Not only that but they beat out everyone with just an opener and a ballad, I believe Flomo had some of their closer on the field. Of course this is subjective and probably really doesn't matter in the eyes of the judges. Anyways, I digress. Whataburger is great, and lets just say I'm glad judges don't make decisions based on FloMarching.

Yes it was. I left the competition after skipping lunch to watch bands and just never got up to go eat. I had the exact same thought as I saw Wakeland perform first in finals and gave in to my inner demons and got my patty melt. Luckily enough I have a FloMarching account and streamed it on my way to whataburger and caught almost all of every band except for Coppell. I will add that the quality of FloMarching is nothing compared to seeing them live. Some of my friends who live in Houston had Flomo winning, but I agreed with the judging. Hebron was cleaner musically, and surprisingly clean visually. That's the biggest improvement from them this year to me, they actually are really clean visually. Not only that but they beat out everyone with just an opener and a ballad, I believe Flomo had some of their closer on the field. Of course this is subjective and probably really doesn't matter in the eyes of the judges. Anyways, I digress. Whataburger is great, and lets just say I'm glad judges don't make decisions based on FloMarching.

Don't forget - it also matters what you are listening with (computer audio with subwoofer vs mobile device with tinny speakers) while watching the stream. I had my computer audio cranked during Flower Mound and Hebron (and others of course), and I thought Hebron was better musically in both prelims and finals (but it was very, very close). Flower Mound had the better visual effects - I really like the color changes during the program, although they may stay in the grey a little too long. Lots of really good stuff from everyone yesterday at both regionals.

1. Hebron H.S.

2. Flower Mound H.S.

3. Marcus H.S.

4. LD Bell H.S.

5. Keller H.S.

6. Vista Ridge H.S.

7. Keller Central H.S.

8. Waxahachie H.S.

9. Wakeland H.S.

10. Timber Creek H.S.

11. Coppell H.S.

12. Pflugerville H.S.

13. James Martin H.S.

14. Aledo H.S.

15. Birdville H.S.

16. Plano East H.S.

17. Duncanville H.S.

18. Frisco Liberty H.S.

19. McKinney H.S.

20. Mansfield Summit H.S.

21. Frisco Independence H.S.

22. Fort Worth Southwest H.S.

23. Saginaw Chisholm Trail H.S.

24. McKinney Boyd H.S.

25. Trophy Club Nelson H.S.

26. Frisco Lone Star H.S.

Whoever it was that first said to watch Timber Creek (was it on here?) was 100% right.  Honestly watching today has given my brain creative overload.  Just wow.  I had a few that were not my bag, but I agree with most of the ones I'm assuming are at the top.  I know they say that the order of announcement is in no particular order, but is this really true?  It seems they announced in reverse order?  I could be wrong.  

They give the announcer the list in random order, but Chuck likes to announce it in the order of most suspense: typically announcing the expected finalists first and then the bands that are more on the edge. I'm just surprised he said there was a tie before announcing the 11 finalists instead of announcing ten finalists and then saying a tie allowed an 11th.

“I didn’t see their show due to a much needed Whataburger break (patty melt for the win) but it sounds like I need to see what’s going on.”

Was this Whataburger break need triggered by Wakeland’s Whataburger colors paired with their big W?

Haha, we definitely saw the resemblance as well!

1. Hebron H.S.

2. Flower Mound H.S.

3. Marcus H.S.

4. LD Bell H.S.

5. Keller H.S.

6. Vista Ridge H.S.

7. Keller Central H.S.

8. Waxahachie H.S.

9. Wakeland H.S.

10. Timber Creek H.S.

11. Coppell H.S.

12. Pflugerville H.S.

13. James Martin H.S.

14. Aledo H.S.

15. Birdville H.S.

16. Plano East H.S.

17. Duncanville H.S.

18. Frisco Liberty H.S.

19. McKinney H.S.

20. Mansfield Summit H.S.

21. Frisco Independence H.S.

22. Fort Worth Southwest H.S.

23. Saginaw Chisholm Trail H.S.

24. McKinney Boyd H.S.

25. Trophy Club Nelson H.S.

26. Frisco Lone Star H.S.

In person at the stadium there was quite a bit of musical phasing for Coppell. The thing where everyone plays on the ictus and the players in the back of the field are late to the down beat compared to the front of field. Also their show was very short even for the early season.

Hate being a downer but Marcus was boring again. Flower Mound and Hebron we’re far more engaging/entertaining. Vista Ridge was great just wished they had finished the show/the race. Liked Keller as the best on the field on an individual marching basis, show luls a little bit in the Puck One. Definitely enjoyed Timber Creek more than their placement shows.

I didn't see anyone mention it, but there was no MPI judge at this competition. It may not have made any difference, but it could have. Definitely gave the MPE judge a little more weight than normal.

From what we understand, the Music Performance Individual judge became ill during the contest and could not complete their duties.  Instead of using the individual scores for the programs that were evaluated and then doubling up the ensemble scores for everyone else, they just doubled up the music ensemble scores for everyone. This was a very rare situation to say the least.  

I really liked Summit's show and don't think they deserved last in music either :( .   I absolutely loved their dancer in the pre-show!

I thought the PESH was scored a little low in music as well, but I'm not sure if it was because I was watching live stream or what, but on the last movement of their show (that they completed on Saturday) , it almost sounded like maybe one of the microphones was left on as the battery was very loud over the band.  It could have been something with the live stream though.    I was excited to see more than a single prop or two for PESH  as well :)   

Congrats to all the bands that competed, so many wonderful shows!    My husband even gave up his big screen TV so I could watch all the performances that day!   (well I didn't start until noon, but after that I saw all the bands and finals).  

Maybe I just missed it somewhere, but has anyone discussed just how AWESOME those body movements by the Marcus band looked on the field Saturday?  And how PERFECT they were?  It was just mesmerizing and I loved getting to see it 3 times total (I was also at the Marcus/Bell football game on Friday night where I saw it first). I can't wait to see how they build on all of that by BOA SA and Grand Nats.  So fun to watch!!!!