WOW! So many surprises!! I thought Hebron and Flomo were crazy close, but I'm SHOCKED at that 11th place Coppell! Thought they had a great show, maybe just because they have less on the field than everyone else?

Congrats to all the students tonight, such amazing talent and artistry across the board.

WOW! So many surprises!! I thought Hebron and Flomo were crazy close, but I'm SHOCKED at that 11th place Coppell! Thought they had a great show, maybe just because they have less on the field than everyone else?

Congrats to all the students tonight, such amazing talent and artistry across the board.

I'm going to be honest here....  After watching their slick presentation about their show and hearing so much about them early on, I kept having to remind myself of their performance.  I'm not sure why.  Don't get me wrong.  I thought they were great as I did about many of the others.  I just was a bit underwhelmed.  Almost like when you get a present where the outer packaging is super fancy but you open it and there's a sweater inside?  (A nice sweater, but not what you were expecting.)  I think even the name suggests more than what I felt like I saw?  

I hope that makes sense without sounding rude.  They are an amazing band.  It just didn't wow me like I thought it would.

Then you take an underdog that comes in quietly and knocks you socks off.  (Yes, Timber Creek.  I'm talking to you!)

I'm going to be honest here.... After watching their slick presentation about their show and hearing so much about them early on, I kept having to remind myself of their performance. I'm not sure why. Don't get me wrong. I thought they were great as I did about many of the others. I just was a bit underwhelmed. Almost like when you get a present where the outer packaging is super fancy but you open it and there's a sweater inside? (A nice sweater, but not what you were expecting.) I think even the name suggests more than what I felt like I saw?

I hope that makes sense without sounding rude. They are an amazing band. It just didn't wow me like I thought it would.

Then you take an underdog that comes in quietly and knocks you socks off. (Yes, Timber Creek. I'm talking to you!)

I agree 100% I think. I just wanted more from them and they cut off so short. Hopefully in the coming weeks they can continue to develop their show and keep adding in things, it just felt so bare tonight. And holy cow YES timber creek brought it tonight!! And Waxahachie!!! They were definitely off a lot of people's radars, but they won't be anymore. Waxahachie now has TWO DFW finals under their belt and are looking veryyy strong. UIL 5A finals is gonna be fun fun fun.

Just went through the Prelims Scores on the BOA website and saw something rather surprising. In prelims competition, Timber Creek placed 11th. Coppell placed 10th, and beat Timber Creek by .5 of a point. Coppell also received a .5 point penalty, bringing them to a tie with Timber Creek for 10th. Crazy stuff. This band almost didn't make finals, and we would have missed out on a wonderful show. Anyone know what cause Coppell's penalty? Show too short?

Timber ended up beating Coppell by a full point in finals though. Really impressed by this group.

Just went through the Prelims Scores on the BOA website and saw something rather surprising. In prelims competition, Timber Creek placed 11th. Coppell placed 10th, and beat Timber Creek by .5 of a point. Coppell also received a .5 point penalty, bringing them to a tie with Timber Creek for 10th. Crazy stuff. This band almost didn't make finals, and we would have missed out on a wonderful show. Anyone know what cause Coppell's penalty? Show too short?

Timber ended up beating Coppell by a full point in finals though. Really impressed by this group.

And they had a 1 point penalty in finals.... that's actually a crazy penalty. I wonder what happened? Still would have been beaten by TC by 0.1, but...

Ugh. Hebron's ballad. I think it might be better than 360. It's amazing: if you haven't seen it live or over stream you're missing out... it's giving me HUGE BD vibes from this past summer! Flugel solo, tbone solo, very jazzy, and LONG!! I love that the show just takes time away from the CRAZY technique in the beginning (double tonguing features back and forth in the brass, some double tonguing in the woodwinds (yes you read that right) and just amazing technical playing) to carve out a beautiful, beautiful groove. Hebron- you stole my heart tonight <3

really don't get what the show's about but honestly idc i'll listen to that ballad all day everyday and not give a darn about what it means.

I will respectfully acknowledge your opinion of hebrons ballad, and respectfully completely disagree. Hebron’s 2015 ballad has no comparison. There’s nothing as rich and powerful in that sense on a marching field that I’ve ever seen. Sure there’s more powerful stuff sometimes but the combination of dark, jazz, and power was absolutely mind boggling. Don’t get me wrong, I was extremely impressed with the trio and it was surprisingly amazing to me, but 360 will go into the hall of fame for me.

I was surprised to see the contrast from prelims to finals. I think I agree with finals just a bit more, year after year hebron has the hardest musical show in my opinion and this show does not disappoint. I was surprised to see the visual caption go to Hebron, but I definitely noticed how much better they seem to be this year. Very clean, very good. I also really appreciated the Drumline, being a 10 year displaced drummer myself.

I really loved flomos source music, and those might just be the slickest uniforms out there. I love the uniform switch, but I was surprised they didn’t win GE outright with that show. It’s very DCI to me.

Timber impressed the HECK out of me, and I really can’t wait to see this program grow in the next few years. And I definitely am surprised at Coppell, I didn’t see their show due to a much needed Whataburger break (patty melt for the win) but it sounds like I need to see what’s going on. I think this might be more of a case of other bands just improving faster than they do, but I still need to see it.

Loved seeing LD Bell crack the top three, reminded me of my old days when my high school would get beat up by them in the 2000s. It was a good weekend!

Listening to a video of Summit from prelims, there was a real head scratcher of a decision made from the music judge giving them the lowest music score of the day. They played with such power and confidence, and they had some really technical stuff in the brass and woodwinds. I just don't see how it's possible they got the score they got. Being there in the warmups with my band, they had their hit at Swan Lake, it sounded amazing. They sounded right about the same from the video I saw of them. I just don't know what that Music judge was thinking, and with the larger impact the music judge had, it knocked them all the way down to 20th. No way a band that powerful and technical should get 20th in anything

hopefully other folks in this thread agree with me

I will respectfully acknowledge your opinion of hebrons ballad, and respectfully completely disagree. Hebron’s 2015 ballad has no comparison. There’s nothing as rich and powerful in that sense on a marching field that I’ve ever seen. Sure there’s more powerful stuff sometimes but the combination of dark, jazz, and power was absolutely mind boggling. Don’t get me wrong, I was extremely impressed with the trio and it was surprisingly amazing to me, but 360 will go into the hall of fame for me.

I was surprised to see the contrast from prelims to finals. I think I agree with finals just a bit more, year after year hebron has the hardest musical show in my opinion and this show does not disappoint. I was surprised to see the visual caption go to Hebron, but I definitely noticed how much better they seem to be this year. Very clean, very good. I also really appreciated the Drumline, being a 10 year displaced drummer myself.

I really loved flomos source music, and those might just be the slickest uniforms out there. I love the uniform switch, but I was surprised they didn’t win GE outright with that show. It’s very DCI to me.

Timber impressed the HECK out of me, and I really can’t wait to see this program grow in the next few years. And I definitely am surprised at Coppell, I didn’t see their show due to a much needed Whataburger break (patty melt for the win) but it sounds like I need to see what’s going on. I think this might be more of a case of other bands just improving faster than they do, but I still need to see it.

Loved seeing LD Bell crack the top three, reminded me of my old days when my high school would get beat up by them in the 2000s. It was a good weekend!

Flomo unis IMO have been the best utilized out of any group I've seen, DCI or high school level. They look great beforehand, and then the colors change and the shakos come off and it just... it just makes sense. The concept is there. The visual appeal is there. And the color is just so pretty. It's just so good on so many levels.

and as far as the 360 thing goes, let's wait until San Antonio... then we'll see which one is better ;)