66 replies to this topic

#41 natertater21000

natertater21000

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 09:09 PM

I can’t imagine BOA would institute a semis round at San Antonio without adding them to the St. Louis and Indianapolis supers as well- even though it may be true that SAs level of competition is deeper, they don’t want to appear to be playing favorites. Not to mention a semis round at SA would take away from the luster, appeal and all around uniqueness of grand nationals. Im firmly of the belief a semis round will never happen for these reasons and the ones laid out above by flomo parent

I completely disagree with this sentiment that adding a semi finals to SA is somehow playing favorites,or that you would HAVE to add it to the other supers. The other super regionals don't even come close to the size of SA. It's a quality of life improvement for a regional that's grown past what boa and mfa probably expected. It's not about prestige.

#42 JeremiahW

JeremiahW

Ranker of Horns

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • LocationColumbia, Missouri

Posted 05 November 2019 - 11:01 PM

MFA does not want to give up LOS - great venue with a long term deal

It is unclear how long that long-term deal is. DCI recently announced a contract extension through 2028. MFA only recently announced future dates for 2021 and 2022. This time last year, they only had future dates through 2020, so it does seem like their contract is a bit closer to one or two years at a time, instead of 10 years at a time like DCI's. I'm not saying they'll be moving Grand Nationals anytime soon, but I don't know if they're quite as locked in to Indianapolis as everyone thinks.

Jeremiah Wooten
Managing Editor, HornRank.com

#43 LHSbandDad

LHSbandDad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationLeander, TX

Posted 05 November 2019 - 11:46 PM

POPULAR

it could be done with Thursday performances being filled with those closer to San Antonio area and Friday for those that are further out. Much smaller they would miss Thursday but regain Friday in class. so no major impact on attendance. the bigger issue would be the what to call it - it would not be the same as St Louis and Indy SR - and if there was an extra day impact, it would likely eliminate the ability for a program to do both SA and GNats - UIL is excused absence - BOA is not.

the most likely way we get semis would be in the creation of a GNats North and South. before everyone jumps on me for suggesting it - hear me out

• let UIL do what they want to do and run their course of area and then state for a bands every year - 
  • do away with the San Antonio SR - if UIL does what it has proposed and programs have to pick between Area championships and BOA SA - we wont need a Semi finals because there will be a dramatic decline in participants. there are a good deal of programs in and around SA that attend BOA SA just because it is here and close by and they do not go to any of the other 6 Texas BOA Events. 
  • Most bands plan their show for UIL state years differently than they do for non-state years - If UIL is every year, we will lose years like we just saw - the shows are always better on a non-state year (my opinion)
  • Have a Gnats South in SA and a Grand Nats North in Indy the same week end in mid November to end the season.

Think about it - the proposed UIL changes where voted on by the directors across the state. because they have a common goal - the programs that don't really do BOA vote yes to get the chance at an area title every year, it costs nothing to perform there and it is excused from school attendance. those that are avid supporters of BOA and attend multiple events in the season and make a trip to Indy every few years also get what they want -  the chance that this will force MFA to address the fact that BOA SA is not like other Super Regionals - the deepest field in the country - more than 100 programs that want to attend. 

MFA does not want to give up LOS - great venue with a long term deal. but what would they be losing - last year there was 1 Texas band that ventured to Indy - this year there are 6 - so they lose the Texas bands - half a dozen at most - if they make BOA SA the same format as indy and open it up to 105 bands in each location - they make more money, involve more bands, and you continue to grow the sport in Texas - the bulk of the bands at Indy will remain in Indy - half of the bands (44 from what I see this year) are from Indy and Ohio (Ohio has more bands than and other state) - Making SA the same format and weight as Indy would likely draw more programs to Texas that would never go to Indy due to cost constraints.

just my thoughts - OK - let the flogging begin

This is probably one of the best, well thought out, logical, everyone wins post I have ever read on this site.  Well done!!  I just hope MFA does something like this!!

#44 DeepEllum

DeepEllum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 03:07 AM

I know this isn’t the point of anything stated above but I think the era of state vs non state year shows is over. 2016 Flomo was not only the best BOA show that year, it also won state. Many programs are doing just as difficult, albeit maybe slightly shorter, shows on their state years as they are on their non state years.

#45 Samuel Culper

Samuel Culper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 03:12 AM

I know this isn’t the point of anything stated above but I think the era of state vs non state year shows is over. 2016 Flomo was not only the best BOA show that year, it also won state. Many programs are doing just as difficult, albeit maybe slightly shorter, shows on their state years as they are on their non state years.

Look at BOA-SA vs 6A last year. What was it, ten Finalists in common?

#46 SpartanMarcher

SpartanMarcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • LocationPorter HS

Posted 06 November 2019 - 03:15 AM

Look at BOA-SA vs 6A last year. What was it, ten Finalists in common?

11 unless I’m forgetting someone?

#47 Samuel Culper

Samuel Culper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 03:16 AM

11 unless I’m forgetting someone?

Probably right.

#48 SpartanMarcher

SpartanMarcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • LocationPorter HS

Posted 06 November 2019 - 03:17 AM

Yes, State finals last year was the SA top 11 plus Waxahachie

#49 ChristopherRoden

ChristopherRoden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 03:34 AM

Yes, State finals last year was the SA top 11 plus Waxahachie

And minus Hendrickson I believe right?

#50 SpartanMarcher

SpartanMarcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • LocationPorter HS

Posted 06 November 2019 - 03:44 AM

And minus Hendrickson I believe right?

Hendrickson was 12th, but yes

#51 hippkerr

hippkerr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 01:43 PM

Just call it Southern Nats and drop the Grand. Have it after UIL area and state. Hold it on the same day as Grand Nats. Add semis. Boycott Indy! Just saying.

#52 cpb161

cpb161

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 03:32 PM

To make things even more messy for next year, a new local circuit is starting up next year. They’ll use the new UIL sheets and they have a show in the Alamodome on the 7th...

http://info.director...arching-contest

Yikes, hopefully Texas doesn’t become overly filled with circuits like some states such as California. Thought UIL and BOA have such a grasp on Texas as a whole that I don’t think any other circuit could ever do all that well here anyway, as mentioned earlier every year Area probably already hurt USBands hardcore, and it wouldn’t surprise me to see more BOA regionals in Texas soon either.

#53 chesteriop

chesteriop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 03:56 PM

I’m excited for the new circuit, but it’s gonna shake things up a bit.

#54 bingogooberman

bingogooberman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 06:27 PM

I completely disagree with this sentiment that adding a semi finals to SA is somehow playing favorites,or that you would HAVE to add it to the other supers. The other super regionals don't even come close to the size of SA. It's a quality of life improvement for a regional that's grown past what boa and mfa probably expected. It's not about prestige.

Well in terms of size, the Indy super was just as big as San Antonio, each maxing out at 84 bands. St. Louis wasn’t too far behind at 69 bands. I agree that the practicality of instituting a semis round shouldn’t necessarily have anything to do with prestige, but I think the reasons that MFA will not pull the trigger on it do have to do with the prestige of grand nats, among other concerns like cost and the ability of programs to miss class, etc

#55 banddad84

banddad84

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 814 posts
  • LocationCanyon Lake TX

Posted 06 November 2019 - 06:33 PM

I’m excited for the new circuit, but it’s gonna shake things up a bit.

this will have no more impact than USBands

#56 banddad84

banddad84

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 814 posts
  • LocationCanyon Lake TX

Posted 06 November 2019 - 06:40 PM

Well in terms of size, the Indy super was just as big as San Antonio, each maxing out at 84 bands. St. Louis wasn’t too far behind at 69 bands. I agree that the practicality of instituting a semis round shouldn’t necessarily have anything to do with prestige, but I think the reasons that MFA will not pull the trigger on it do have to do with the prestige of grand nats, among other concerns like cost and the ability of programs to miss class, etc

but Indy does not have the depth that SA has, SA had 105 applicants, and add that the Indy bands are all sleeping in their own beds at night - we have Texas bands making a 300-to 500+ mile trek to compete in SA and spending a great deal of money to do it

traveling to Indy is the equivalent of a trip to Austin from SA and it is safe to say that 10 of the top 12 in Indy would not make finals in SA

#57 bingogooberman

bingogooberman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 07:22 PM

but Indy does not have the depth that SA has, SA had 105 applicants, and add that the Indy bands are all sleeping in their own beds at night - we have Texas bands making a 300-to 500+ mile trek to compete in SA and spending a great deal of money to do it

traveling to Indy is the equivalent of a trip to Austin from SA and it is safe to say that 10 of the top 12 in Indy would not make finals in SA

Yes, this all may be true (though I think the Indy super field is a bit deeper than you’re suggesting- blue springs would almost certainly make SA finals and Lincoln way, homestead, and o’Fallon would definitely be in the mix) but that just goes back to what I was saying before, which is that MFA is not going to put themselves in a position to explicitly state that the level of competition in Texas is stronger, even if it’s true. There’s already some curmudgeons in the north that think it’s ridiculous we have 6 regionals on top of the super. The only way this contest gets a semis, which I agree would be very helpful in terms of competitive fairness, is to elevate it above being a super regional. As great as that would be, and as much as the level of competition at SA merits it, I have a hard time seeing it actually happen

#58 principalagent

principalagent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 04:55 AM

I've already started hearing buzz about some school districts that will not be participating in 2021 if there's a date conflict, unfortunately for us. Do we know if any schools already know they won't be at BOA San Antonio next year?

#59 lost

lost

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 04:40 AM

I've already started hearing buzz about some school districts that will not be participating in 2021 if there's a date conflict, unfortunately for us. Do we know if any schools already know they won't be at BOA San Antonio next year?

I don’t know of any, but there are likely some.

#60 lost

lost

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 05:05 AM

Leander will be able to bring a more BOA styled show next year as they are no longer competing in the UIL 6A State contest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users