My son and his friends went to watch the Bridgeland Vs Tompkins game and showed me a video. 

Biggest Takeaway:

1) Percussion and Colorguard.. WOW. WOW. WOW. Outstanding. Like, rivals some of the best in the activity. 
2) Show seems to be awesome! Ballad is a little underwhelming but let's see what they do with it.
3) Besides some major intonation and tuning issues, wind section seems fine. Still needs a lot of work in this area but hopefully they can continue improve and fix. 

If the they can work on the musical side of things and balance their key moments, this group will pop out for sure. 

In the CyFair/Katy area - really liking Cypress Woods, Cy-Fair HS, Bridgeland, Seven Lakes, and Tomball Memorial! Very excited to see how things shake out in a month. Some great teaching going on!

46 minutes ago, Cy-FairDad said:

My son and his friends went to watch the Bridgeland Vs Tompkins game and showed me a video. 

Biggest Takeaway:

1) Percussion and Colorguard.. WOW. WOW. WOW. Outstanding. Like, rivals some of the best in the activity. 
2) Show seems to be awesome! Ballad is a little underwhelming but let's see what they do with it.
3) Besides some major intonation and tuning issues, wind section seems fine. Still needs a lot of work in this area but hopefully they can continue improve and fix. 

If the they can work on the musical side of things and balance their key moments, this group will pop out for sure. 

In the CyFair/Katy area - really liking Cypress Woods, Cy-Fair HS, Bridgeland, Seven Lakes, and Tomball Memorial! Very excited to see how things shake out in a month. Some great teaching going on!

i watched their soundless performance, again very impressed. love the little trellis stage and the walls in the back w/ the vines, def a little less basic than their set pieces last yr which were pretty much just signs that said "this is our theme." didn't notice the guard much in the ballad, maybe they were off to the sides?

ill trust you on the music. 2nd time we've heard that it needs a liiittle work. hopefully they can polish it by Katy, think there will be several strong contenders for top half finals from the Cy district.

Interested to see where Cedar Ridge's show goes this season. It lacks some of the immediate punchiness musically that their past two productions had, and opens kinda abruptly, which makes me wonder if there's a pre-show they just aren't doing at games yet. There's a ton of room for musicality, and the ballad is super pretty.

Also, I'm obviously just watching through a crappy football game stream and it's super early, so I don't think my comments are 100% set in stone. I'm also interested to see the visual/prop package they bring this year, after having some pretty fun ones the past two years. 

More than anything, I'm just waiting to see their interpretation of the Jacob Collier cover of All Night Long! 

22 minutes ago, packwick said:

i was like ummm where r u seeing a decent Cedar Ridge video? ihsFan!!! found it!!!

i actually like the opening, it's like WE'RE HERE AND WE WILL NOT BE IGNORED!!! it's an effective declarative sentence. theyre able to pull the big blastiness off better than most too. not sure the show's as clean as last year but don't really remember what it looked like beginning of Sept LOL. visual looks a liiiittle simple to my eyes again but i bet it's missing a bunch of set pieces or something.

oooo another Reagan and Round Rock too. faaaallling down this ihsFan vid hole like Alice. just learned that Rock has a JV band lol. that's really cool. makes sense given how GIGANTOR that band is. very talented group too but, uhh, was kinda lookin' for varsity lol. Reagan still serving cool, opening vis super nostalgic 2002. major props for letting the marching and music speak for itself, tho also can't shake the feeling they've done this all before lol. needs some major cleaning too. theyll get there.

vista ridge a lot less of a hot mess visually this week!!! really lookin a lot better.

Round Rock's varsity performs at halftime on the 15th. Their band calendar says whether JV of V is performing.

Dripping Springs, incorrectly announced as Wagner

https://www.ksat.com/video/big-game-coverage/2023/09/02/dripping-springs-vs-wagner---09/01/23-bgc-football-archive/

love this. tx is sending a reeeally strong group of bands to Nats this year imo.

and another CTJ

https://www.ksat.com/video/big-game-coverage/2023/09/02/oconnor-vs-johnson--09/01/23-bgc-football-archive--/

they sound fab!!! frontrunner for music at BOA Katy at the moment imo. i wish tw featured their woodwinds as much as Johnson. as much as i like tw's music, woodwinds pretty much don't exist in it right now lol. that upstairs UIL woodwind judge ain't gonna have much to judge in that opener, just twiddling her thumbs LOL. don't know why she's upstairs in the first place but whatevs.

53 minutes ago, packwick said:

they sound fab!!! frontrunner for music at BOA Katy at the moment imo. i wish tw featured their woodwinds as much as Johnson. as much as i like tw's music, woodwinds pretty much don't exist in it right now lol. that upstairs UIL woodwind judge ain't gonna have much to judge in that opener, just twiddling her thumbs LOL. don't know why she's upstairs in the first place but whatevs.

Picky. Alumnus. Syndrome. 😄

My early prediction for BOA Katy is CTJ versus TWHS. But my prediction for that contest around this time last year was spectacularly wrong, so you can take it with a grain of salt. I had 2022 as Reagan versus CTJ, leaning toward a Reagan win on the strength of visual. It ended up a Cedar Ridge sweep. 😭

In my defense, my prediction was pretty accurate for late season BOA!

3 hours ago, Rubisco said:

Picky. Alumnus. Syndrome. 😄

whatevsss!

not THAT picky. i wasn't being facetious when i said i thought their guard time traveled from October to August.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cwu_nZzOdkT/

boom clap, hon. LOL. i don't who edits these vids but they have a good sense of visual musicality whoever they are. also they need to keep doing them so i can track the band's progress for away games lol.

11 minutes ago, MikeKyu said:

Every high schooler should have the opportunity to play this piece. 

true although it's QUITE challenging.

here's Dickinson from last week, another Houston area group to watch. some really good sounds in there. little mermaid themed? dunno

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EUlMny9srVw&pp=ygUOV29vZGxhbmRzIGJhbmQ%3D

gooorgeously written vis program from twhs, again w/ the blue devs vibes w/ those curvacious benches, not such a gorgeous perf from the band tho. c'mooon low brass coverdowns!! really all the files. you can do it!!!

alas still the least on the field of any band ive seen, including from their own district. still w/ a metronome too!! hope they find enough time to clean the full show!!! last yr never got clean enough to win a major champ.

30 minutes ago, Rubisco said:

Well, the metronome thing I don't think is that big of a deal. It's still an early September performance. I've heard others using it in their first movements. But I can understand your fears about the drill learning, when you've been watching all these other football videos with bands performing throughout their ballads and beyond. 😄 That said, again, I highly suspect TWHS knows more than what they're fielding. Now, whether it's a smart decision to forgo performing it and building that confidence is another question.

TL;DR Don't start worrying until October. 😄

fine!!! i won't bring it up again. but u know imma be over here gritting my teeth LOL.

at least content wise and even to an extent performance wise im pretty happy with what i see and hear so far. the migration off the benches could be a little more graceful tho. but probably it's like a preshow.

looooove College Park's music, that opening is so interesting, well done by the trpts. turpits!! also euphonium ensemble Electric Counterpoint ftw. kinda got a little bit of goosebumps from the ballad too.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=s5f_w8cyfRk

stiiill need to focus on improving vis performance imo, like down to the level of fundamental marching technique. they've got the resources for that + one of the best music programs in the state. no excuses!!! u can do it!!!

guard's unis are such a mood lol. love the futuristic visors. wonder if it makes things harder to see tho. camera just had to cut away right before that girl finished her front walkover toss!! ugh!!! does this guard also benefit from junior high guard classes for PE credit? just curious.

6 hours ago, packwick said:

Avon from backfield

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m4T9dbIsOrc&pp=ygUJQXZvbiBiYW5k

several empty picture frames they carry around, stream through, toss over, etc. cool! def heard some Pictures at an Exhibition in there. high velocity, lots going on. Avon doing Avon.

This is brilliant, I can already tell. Can’t wait to fire up my box5 subscription next week!