BOA Waco 2019

I've been hyped for this regional for 2 years. After it got cancelled last year it only made me more excited for this year. Plus, Keller is competing this year, too!

I think this one is so exciting because it is a late-season regional and gives a good cross section of the DFW and Austin regionals to gauge their comparison. I also like that it seems to have attracted a lot of the regional finalist bubble bands.

Probably the competition I'm most excited to attend this fall besides SA. And for all the same reasons.

My friends say that Round Rock would have to attend Waco prelims, go to region and perform, then head back to Waco for finals. The directors decided that it wouldn't be worth it, and they would be relying on lucky scheduling because Waco-->region is a long bus ride.

Ah, so they have region that day. They must have dropped because they got the time for either region or Waco and decided that they both can't be done on the same day

• 2 weeks later...

This was posted on the Hornrank forums 

Prelims Schedule as of 9/13/2019

7:15 W.E. Boswell H.S., TX
7:30 Lakeview Centennial H.S., TX
7:45 Lake Ridge H.S., TX
8:00 South Grand Prairie H.S., TX
8:15 Anderson H.S., TX
8:30 Ridge Point H.S., TX
8:45 Lamar H.S., TX

9:00 BREAK

9:30 Cleburne H.S., TX
9:45 Lorena H.S., TX
10:00 W. Charles Akins H.S., TX
10:15 Aledo H.S., TX
10:30 James Bowie H.S., TX
10:45 North Garland H.S., TX
11:00 James Martin H.S., TX
11:15 Burleson Centennial H.S., TX

11:30 BREAK

12:15 Dripping Springs H.S., TX
12:30 Richland H.S., TX
12:45 Duncanville H.S., TX
1:00 Forney H.S., TX
1:15 Robinson H.S., TX
1:30 Mansfield H.S., TX
1:45 Hendrickson H.S., TX
2:00 John Horn H.S., TX
2:15 North Mesquite H.S., TX

2:30 BREAK

3:00 L.V. Berkner H.S., TX
3:15 Keller H.S., TX
3:30 J.J. Pearce H.S., TX
3:45 Magnolia H.S., TX
4:00 Sachse H.S., TX
4:15 Jack C. Hays H.S., TX
4:30 Waxahachie H.S., TX
4:45 Seven Lakes H.S., TX

5:00 Baylor University (Exhibition)
5:15 Prelims Awards Ceremony/ Announcement of Finalists

After seeing Austin, Houston, and DFW play out, this is how I see things going into this competition.

1. Keller - I just hope they get the whole show on the field for this competition. I know that should probably be a given but sometimes they wait till the week before SA to perform the whole thing. They are a consistent SA finalist and have been close to the top half for 2 years. One of the most consistent bands overall in Texas and will be looking for their first ever regional championship.

-gap-

2. James Bowie - Very solid at Austin. Could be closer to Keller but their recent success has been good yet somewhat inconsistent.

3. Seven Lakes - Shocked they weren’t in finals at Houston, but it was extremely close and the performance was pretty messy.

4. Waxahachie - Shockingly and undeservingly low in DFW prelims but better in finals. Just needs a few weeks to clean.

5. Hendrickson - Could probably be as high as second but Austin results were definitely concerning. A previous SA finalist so watch out for them as the season progresses.

LostChoirGuy, on 04 Oct 2019 - 00:25, said:

I am very curious about JJ Pearce. They have a bit of a history of success at UIL (quite a while ago) and particularly honor band if I am not mistaken. Does anyone know much about their marching band program?

Pearce could surprise some folks at Waco. They are a solid program that achieved much success at the 4A level but have flown under the radar competitively since their leap to 6A in 2012. They have always had a very strong concert band program (two Sudler flags!), but with strong leadership from "Mr. I" (former Hebron assistant director, in his 5th year at Pearce) they are steadily building a more competitive marching band culture. Despite some personnel turnover the last few years they now have a solid young staff and are putting on a challenging marching program with cool visuals and gorgeous music. (theme: Equinox, featuring "Autumn Leaves" as the ballad) Because of Homecoming last week their first contest is this Saturday at the McKinney Invitational. Waco will be their first BOA contest since 2013.

I'm gonna give this a go.....finalists in no particular order.

Burleson Centennial

Duncanville

Martin

Keller

Berkner

Lake Ridge

Richland

Hendrickson

Seven Lakes

Waxahachie

Now....trying to place everyone.  Good luck with that but here I go.

Keller

Waxahachie

Hendrickson

Seven Lakes

Centennial

Richland

Martin

Lake Ridge

Duncanville

Berkner

For those of you going to Waco, be aware that not only are there going to be the Bands attending BOA at Mclane Stadium on Saturday but 26 Bands will be performing in the UIL Region 8 Marching Contest at Midway HS which is about 7 miles away and will probably also be competing for places to eat during the breaks. UIL goes from 9AM to 12:45 with a break until 1:30. They then go from 2:15 to 3:00. They start up again at 3PM to 4:15 and then after a final 15 minute break from 4:30 to 6PM. 

Two Bands are listed as doing both events, Robinson which has a  10:45 time and a 1:15 time of performance. This is realistic.Lorena is listed as  a having 9:45 performance at BOA and a 10:15 performance at UIL. My impression is that they will not make both. 

I'm gonna give this a go.....finalists in no particular order.

Burleson Centennial

Duncanville

Martin

Keller

Berkner

Lake Ridge

Richland

Hendrickson

Seven Lakes

Waxahachie

Now....trying to place everyone.  Good luck with that but here I go.

Keller

Waxahachie

Hendrickson

Seven Lakes

Centennial

Richland

Martin

Lake Ridge

Duncanville

Berkner

Did you forget James Bowie?