2018 BOA San Antonio?

I think they were the best of the AAA groups, but they are in a different judging panel than Leander and Cedar Park, so it wouldnt surprise me for there to be discrepencies.

This is the one complaint I have with the new judging system. I understand why it has been changed, but this could easily start all new controversies over who makes finals because "one judging panel had higher numbers" and whatnot. But I do agree Vista Ridge can easily win 3a today.

The difference is that at Grand Nationals, they’re all together when captions are decided. But I don’t think it’ll be a big deal.

This is my concern.  We know that contest dynamics come into play and can inflate scores when there are many good groups (2017 SA), so does panel 2 have an advantage because IMHO they are a bit deeper?  Could those scores go up across the board and skew the caption and placement award in prelims when comparing panel to panel?  Both St. Louis and Atlanta had one weird caption award in prelims that was remidied in finals but we all know San Antonio is another monster altogether compared to St Louis and Atlanta

Ok Hebron.....WOW....that is the hardest show I have ever seen a high school band attempt. The difficulty of the brass and woodwind parts rival DCI groups like BD, SCV and Crown. an "endeavor" for sure!

That being said, still very messy in spots, but soooo powerful in others. With only a few days left to clean, they may have bitten off a bit more than they can chew this season. There was also a lack of color in the show....black and white till the end and then reddish flags...idk seemed unfinished. 

Amazing band and obviously one of the best ever. Just might not be up there clean wise. 

Ok Hebron.....WOW....that is the hardest show I have ever seen a high school band attempt. The difficulty of the brass and woodwind parts rival DCI groups like BD, SCV and Crown. an "endeavor" for sure!

That being said, still very messy in spots, but soooo powerful in others. With only a few days left to clean, they may have bitten off a bit more than they can chew this season. There was also a lack of color in the show....black and white till the end and then reddish flags...idk seemed unfinished. 

Amazing band and obviously one of the best ever. Just might not be up there clean wise. 

This is a really great description of their show. Definitely the most challenging show I have seen this weekend and perhaps only second to Avon this season.

I believe the lack of color was in the design plan. If you look at the Hebron Band twitter a hashtag they always seem to use is #bluefire or #blueflame. From what I've heard. Hebron is on a plan to become "something better than ever before" and thus, I've made the assumption that their show this year is about the "endeavor"  of finding the bands Self Individuality and Identity while trying to create something unique that has never been created before. As well as trying to defy what was thought to be possible for a High School marching band.

While I do agree that the show still has some problem areas. From down the grapevine, I've heard that the show still has some changes to be made. 

Only time will tell. Till then I guess we'll just have to sit on the edge of our seats.

Loved Vista Ridge. Loved Hebron as well, but yeah, as I said earlier, the show is so difficult that it hasn't really reached the point of cleanliness that we would expect from them. Still love it, though, and I think it's a step in the right direction. Performance-wise, The Woodlands was unimpeachably clean. Easily the strongest ensemble visual performance so far (watching from high cam), and a strong music performance as well. How high the show places will depend on how much the Effect judges connect with the show and its fairly odd concept.

This is how I have it as of now (out of the bands I’ve seen) and I’m probably extremely wrong :)

1. Ronald Reagan (Great design, great effect, great execution)

2. The Woodlands (Great design, great execution especially visually, great effect maybe not as high as 2016 though but the visual execution is better)

3. Flower Mound (Design was great but wasn’t as captivating, super clean visual but still don’t absolutely love the brass sound)

4. Hebron (Insane difficulty music and visual but it’s just not as clean, design and production is lacking)

5. Vista Ridge (best show production wise in my opinion, it just makes you feel something. Could place higher but I think the difficulty doesn’t top the groups above it and the colorguard left me unimpressed, phenomenal otherwise.)

6. Vandegrift (music execution and visual difficulty is high enough to keep them well in the top half, show loses steam and visually it takes away from the music, guard was weak)

7. Keller (They finally brought a full package with consistent execution throughout, some parts dont seem as produced as say Vista but the design stood out yesterday. They also sounded seriously top notch and offered a lot of demand. Guard absolutely sold me much more than Vista or Vandy.)

8. Leander (Overall a really well balanced show, sounds great but there’s something about it that doesn’t quite convince me yet for top half, guard adds so much that the design kindof got in the way of its self if that makes sense)

9. James Bowie (A decent step up from last year but is still a bit reserved, just didn’t impact me as much as I was hoping, will make finals tonight no doubt)

10. Cedar Park (Didn’t peak where they usually do probably because of the rain. Still the Cedar Park we know and love)

The rest beats me...it’s just all too close...I will say that I will be over the moon if Timber Creek makes finals, they deserve it.