2018 BOA San Antonio?

Something to think about: weather

This year pretty much the entire state was being drenched with thunderstorms throughout most of September and even throughout mid October. To me, bands that typically have the show completed early in the season (like FloMo and CTJ I think) chose the right philosophy as far as when to learn the show and clean the show. Bands that wait and add on as the season goes on probably had a much harder time just finding time to learn drill or cleaning new drill. I know that the bands that learned their whole show early still were massively effected by the rain and definitely didn’t have as much time to clean their whole show, but I do think that having the philosophy of learning the entire show really quickly might have helped bands deal with weather better than bands who took more time learning drill.

Marcus will be in finals. 

So far from Panel 1 - 

Reagan 

Hebron

Leander

Westlake 

Cedar Park

Timber Creek

Panel 2 - 

CTJ (probably, tho they haven't performed)

The Woodlands

Vista RIdge

Flower Mound

Vandegrift

Bowie

Marcus

Prosper/Westwood/Cedar Ridge? IDK!!!

Editing because Coppell and Haltom haven't gone....this is gonna be a tough finals to get into. 

Marcus will be in finals.

So far from Panel 1 -

Reagan

Hebron

Leander

Westlake

Cedar Park

Timber Creek

Panel 2 -

CTJ (probably, tho they haven't performed)

The Woodlands

Vista RIdge

Flower Mound

Vandegrift

Bowie

Marcus

Prosper/Westwood/Cedar Ridge? IDK!!!

Editing because Coppell and Haltom haven't gone....this is gonna be a tough finals to get into.

Did you forget Keller, or do you think they will be left out?

prosper's sound is straight up elite at this point- I have a hard time imagining a band that sounds that good and plays that well missing UIL state finals but it's a strong year and their visual isn't at that same level, but I think they've got an excellent shot at it. Finals tonight would be a huge accomplishment but I'm not sure they'll get there. Finals at Nationals, however, seems much more doable. I think they are very clearly at the tippy top of the finals bubble bands in terms of music. what a fantastic season they're having

Something to think about: weather

This year pretty much the entire state was being drenched with thunderstorms throughout most of September and even throughout mid October. To me, bands that typically have the show completed early in the season (like FloMo and CTJ I think) chose the right philosophy as far as when to learn the show and clean the show. Bands that wait and add on as the season goes on probably had a much harder time just finding time to learn drill or cleaning new drill. I know that the bands that learned their whole show early still were massively effected by the rain and definitely didn’t have as much time to clean their whole show, but I do think that having the philosophy of learning the entire show really quickly might have helped bands deal with weather better than bands who took more time learning drill.

TRUTH!! I was thinking the exact same thing earlier -- just hadn't thought to post about the idea.

Such a unique show from CTJ. I think they have the best content overall, even though I'm not a fan of the narration. The show also drags on a little too long, but it has a lot of inspired moments. I wish it were cleaner, but they could still do well in the performance captions, depending on how much they are rewarded for the difficulty.

Such a unique show from CTJ. I think they have the best content overall, even though I'm not a fan of the narration. The show also drags on a little too long, but it has a lot of inspired moments. I wish it were cleaner, but they could still do well in the performance captions, depending on how much they are rewarded for the difficulty.

I know it’s a stupid question and it’s probably already been answered but can someone explain how the ocean theme fits in with the patriotic theme?

The director explained the whole show on a different thread under “music marching and more”

Posted 21 September 2018 - 09:18 PM

star_big.png

POPULAR

Hi!

It’s been cool to see some discussion - and some interesting perspectives on the show. Not sure if it’s based on video or actual performances. Either way … normally I don’t post much, but since there’s a bit of chatter I want to offer this perspective.

Tremendous Sea of Love … a show about hope. It is not connected to DJT. It connects to a Passion Pit album Darryl and I like.

A show that honors Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and Senator Bobby Kennedy on the 50th anniversary of their death, while also paying homage to the strength and beauty of our nation, and the bright hope that students inspire for the future.

Those who know us … a show about a rabbit … a show about dancing … a show about a lizard .. a show about a forrest … while there are some deep meanings … sometimes it’s face value.

The beginning of the show starts on calm waters …

The three ships encounter terrible storms. The storms are a metaphor for the shooting of Dr. Martin Luther King - you’ll hear riot sound effects that parallel the anger the country felt, like thunder and storms on the sea. Bobby Kennedy’s words the night of MLK’s death remind us that “we have faced difficult times as a country … we will face difficult times again” The ships come through the storms and out into open waters.

The ballad .. the water is wide .. represents the division the country faced and has faced … and how through MLK’s vision for love … we could unite America. You’ll see the two sides of the field come together and unite.

The closer … celebrating love as American’s. Reagan reminds through his words about the strength and resolve of the American People, who can achieve anything. This parallels King and Kennedy. In an effort to NOT be political and appeal to all sides, President Reagan’s quotations focus mainly on all americans having the ability to love one another, love their country … and achieve anything we set our minds to do.

The three ships - at the end - discover America. 

We can make it through any storms. Including this message thread :-)

Enjoy sailing the Tremendous Sea of Love with us …

Thanks,

Jarrett