2018 BOA San Antonio?

Prosper hasn’t been brought up once in these conversations, there was a very small gap between them and a lot of bands at BOA DFW and I know for a fact that prosper has there entire show on the field now and I’m super excited to see it.

(I’m biased by the way)

They definitely have a chance. Their only issue is that 14-23 is anyone's game.

An interesting aspect of DFW centered around CP. They were in the bottom half of Austin by 3 points the week before, to the top four at DFW with a two point advantage over Bell. I think part of that is because CP seemed especially challenged by this show for that early in the season. However, there is a good chance they will end up in the bottom half of SA. So you can you then take a look and say:

Three bands at DFW ahead of them (FloMo, Hebron, Keller) +

Five from Austin (CTJ, Leander, Vandy, VR, Bowie) +

Two from Conroe (TWHS and Reagan) = 10 bands. That leaves

CP + Three other spots. Hendrickson and CR were within a two point range at Austin and Bell was just at the two point difference at DFW. Marcus is under new direction... maybe they don't have the same Drinkwater gloss, but they may still have that shot at finals.

Then you have the late season Rock Stars: Round Rock, Waxahachie, Churchill

New blood: Timber Creek, Prosper, Oak Ridge, Cy-Fair, Seven Lakes

An interesting aspect of DFW centered around CP. They were in the bottom half of Austin by 3 points the week before, to the top four at DFW with a two point advantage over Bell. I think part of that is because CP seemed especially challenged by this show for that early in the season. However, there is a good chance they will end up in the bottom half of SA. So you can you then take a look and say:

CP + Three other spots. Hendrickson and CR were within a two point range at Austin and Bell was just at the two point difference at DFW. Marcus is under new direction... maybe they don't have the same Drinkwater gloss, but they may still have that shot at finals.

I'm convinced that College Park will also have something to say about who makes finals, as they have their strongest show that I've ever seen. So many bands for 14 spots. I wouldn't be surprised if we have bands scoring 90+ again missing finals.

Predictions as of the conclusion of many major UIL regional competitions.

1. Flowermound/TWHS

2. Flowermound/TWHS

3. CTJ

4. Leander

5. Reagan

6. Vandegrift

7. Hebron

8. Vista Ridge

9. Keller

10. Cedar Park

11. James Bowie

12. Cedar Ridge

13. Oak Ridge

14. Marcus/College Park

I could definetely see College Park sneaking in with a stellar prelims run.

Some 2018 BOA Stats:

55 of 68 bands are returning from 2017

29 new bands

Bands not returning (prelim finish):  Avon (5), Cy-Fair (20), Wakeland (29), Tompkins (36), Brazoswood (38), Lopez (40), Katy (44), Judson (54), Palmview (61), Burnet (63), La Joya (65), Jourdanton (67), Robstown (68)

Score Needed to Make Finals

2017: 90.40

2016: 84.55 

2015: 84.35

Score Needed to Make Top 25:

2017: 85.53

2016: 79.35

2015: 79.15

Look at that jump in scores from 2016 to 2017

That's crazy!  What a jump. 

I'm convinced that College Park will also have something to say about who makes finals, as they have their strongest show that I've ever seen. So many bands for 14 spots. I wouldn't be surprised if we have bands scoring 90+ again missing finals.

Being involved with the College Park band for the last 6 years and watching for a couple before that......it's just humbling to read those words.  These kids and directors have worked so hard over the years to get better and better.  To see it recognized by people outside the program is simply awesome.    I don't know if these kids will make finals, but I do know this:  they can play those horns. There's a reason they finished 7th in TMEA Honor Band a few months ago.

Prosper hasn’t been brought up once in these conversations, there was a very small gap between them and a lot of bands at BOA DFW and I know for a fact that prosper has there entire show on the field now and I’m super excited to see it.

(I’m biased by the way)

Prosper was a larger part of the conversation earlier in the season. We haven't heard as much about them recently because, as whitewing09 pointed out, the general consensus after BOA DFW seems to be that Prosper is part of a fairly large group of very good bands who individually might warrant a spot in Finals but collectively they are all in a dog fight for the last couple spots. Whitewing09 laid out what they are up against and others are, and will probably continue, adding bands to the list. On the plus side Waxahachie will be at Area B on Saturday but I don't think they will be at BOA SA. They remain an issue for UIL but not BOA SA. On the other hand Timber Creek is on his list of possible Finalists but, as it pertains to answering your question, could have been featured more prominently as they finished right behind L.D. Bell (and ahead of Prosper) at BOA DFW. A lot has happened since then and I'm sure Prosper is better. Everyone is. Historically the last couple Finalist at DFW (and Austin, and Conroe/Houston, etc.) face significant challenges making Finals again at SA. But History isn't one of the judges this year. Prosper will be writing there own history just like all the bands. It comes down to who has improved the most and can put it all on the field when it counts. The judging system is significantly different but we can still learn more about who is ready at the UIL Area competitions this weekend.

Additionally, I'm going to assume that most know whitewing09 was talking about Cedar Park. But just to be clear, there's more than one CP in the mix.

I see that Texas A&M Converse is one of the exhibition bands.  Has anyone ever heard of them?  Are they comparable to UTSA or Texas State, both of which have been exhibition bands at BOA events in the past?  I must admit, when I saw "Texas A&M" on the schedule, I had a moment of extreme excitement thinking it was the one from College Station, but honestly never even knew there was a band (or university) in Commerce.  Hopefully we are pleasantly surprised!!

I see that Texas A&M Converse is one of the exhibition bands.  Has anyone ever heard of them?  Are they comparable to UTSA or Texas State, both of which have been exhibition bands at BOA events in the past?  I must admit, when I saw "Texas A&M" on the schedule, I had a moment of extreme excitement thinking it was the one from College Station, but honestly never even knew there was a band (or university) in Commerce.  Hopefully we are pleasantly surprised!!

Commerce is actually the "music" school in the A&M system. My son actually auditioned there for college and it was under consideration, though he ultimately chose to go elsewhere. Their percussion program is actually very well known nationally. They'll certainly put on an excellent show.

Rouse has made great strides the last two years. I love the music in this year's show, but I feel like the drill is lacking in interest and complexity. Just my two cents.

I appreciate the “small” bands. Hmmm... It’s such a toss up for the 2A championship. What does everybody else think?Rouse has been doing great this year. Southwest are returning to defend their 2A championship from last year’s super, and Pioneer is on quite the rise in the past few years (like rouse) and is knocking on the door of class 2A champs as well with their show. Thoughts anyone?

Also Weiss and Camdenton will all be good. Ive heard an argument that San Antonio is really good but doesnt compare in the quality of competition for smaller classification bands like Grand Nats does. This year, I think the 2A will actually be a really good contest. I do agree that nearly all of the big hitters at San Antonio are 4A or 3A, but I must admit that I like watching the bigger bands more anyways.

Also Weiss and Camdenton will all be good. Ive heard an argument that San Antonio is really good but doesnt compare in the quality of competition for smaller classification bands like Grand Nats does. This year, I think the 2A will actually be a really good contest. I do agree that nearly all of the big hitters at San Antonio are 4A or 3A, but I must admit that I like watching the bigger bands more anyways.

It will be telling how Weiss does in St.Louis.

Since San Antonio advanced 14 Finalists, these were the scores for 14th place (since 2003) 

2003: 83.85

2004: 81.60

2005: 82.40 

2006: 85.00

2007: 86.65

2008: 82.40

2009: 81.35

2010: 82.90

2011: 84.00

2012: 86.65

2013: 85.30

2014: 85.70

2017: 90.400

Still can't believe just how competitive 2017 was in comparison to other years.  

Since San Antonio advanced 14 Finalists, these were the scores for 14th place (since 2003)

2003: 83.85

2004: 81.60

2005: 82.40

2006: 85.00

2007: 86.65

2008: 82.40

2009: 81.35

2010: 82.90

2011: 84.00

2012: 86.65

2013: 85.30

2014: 85.70

2017: 90.400

Still can't believe just how competitive 2017 was in comparison to other years.

Another interesting note is how the three highest scores for 14th also had the 3 highest scores for 1st. I wonder what the average of all the finalist scores in those years looks like in comparison.

I appreciate the “small” bands. Hmmm... It’s such a toss up for the 2A championship. What does everybody else think?Rouse has been doing great this year. Southwest are returning to defend their 2A championship from last year’s super, and Pioneer is on quite the rise in the past few years (like rouse) and is knocking on the door of class 2A champs as well with their show. Thoughts anyone?

After seeing some videos of the bands recent performances, I’d say it’s a dog fight between Rouse & Pioneer. Two very different styles of shows being performed really well by both groups. Very curious to see how the AA plays out. It’s definitely going to be an exciting weekend in SA all around.