2017 BOA San Antonio Super Regionals Predictions

Correct. Round Rock isn't weakening, but the other strong Texas bands just keep getting stronger. Their show is different and a little risky this year -- I actually really love it. May still do very well at Grand Nats.

I think Round Rock will still make finals at Grand Nats. How does everyone feel about Churchill's placement and their potential at Grand Nats?

Top Seven Recap:

1st Place: CTJ - Their show was beautiful! Musically they were outstanding, there were moments that were fun and upbeat and moments that took your breath away very powerful group. Visually they were also amazing, I was surprised to see that Marcus was over them in the visual caption. The show was energetic and fun, rightfully deserving of 1st place.

2nd Place: Hebron - Just... WOW coming in 2nd behind CTJ in the music caption was no surprise. This group gives everything and you can feel it. What kept them from gold was coming in 4th in visual, If they find ways to improve the visual program they can easily come in first. Overall they are a group that never seems to disappoint!

3rd Place: Vandegrift - This group might be the next champion next year! They play with so much balance and power they make you feel the emotion. There is only one thing keeping them from the top, and that's their guard. Color guard may not be individually judged but impacts a lot in the General Effect caption. I love the vision dance company, now let's teach them to toss! :)

4th Place: Avon- One of the most legendary groups that this activity has! Coming in 1st in the Visual caption was no mistake, they move so quickly and with so much precision it's scary! I knew they would take home visual after their performance. Musically they sounded like a top 5 group but remember this is Texas be ready for some competition. I am glad they came down it was exciting, and Avon Color Guard leaves me speechless if there was a caption for color guard they would have been fighting with Bowie for it.

5th Place: Reagan - Jumping from the bottom half to TOP FIVE!!! Like wow, just two words can explain this “GREAT RUN!” in finals. This group has lot’s of surprises, their show this year was a little obscure they play with so much power, at one point I thought the roof was going to blow off!

6th Place: Flower Mound - This really surprised me but this competition was tough even for last years champion. Musically they are powerful maybe two powerful...It almost felt like they were playing forte the entire show, they had beautiful pitch and tonality but dynamics didn’t feel present. They are a big group and sometimes cleaning can be difficult when your visual program is so demanding. It will be interesting to see what happens in Indy, they are definitely top 5.

7th Place: Marcus - This group isn't going anywhere anytime soon, This show is way different but at the same time it is still a Marcus show. They came in 2nd to Avon in the visual caption which shows they are willing to adapt to stay competitive. I have always respected this group's dedication to their image and style. It defines them I would hate to see a Marcus that doesn’t play concert band repertoire or use large props. I think they will be one to watch next weekend.

To the contrary banddad84 - data is not King when dealing with the arts. Regardless who won or their score it's a matter of preference in many cases. CTJ deserved to win last night but comparing these productions on a numerical basis is almost impossible. These finals bands are the best of the best and CTJ did not win prelims. I would hate to be a judge when they are all that good and accomplished.

data will not always forecast the outcome - but predictive analysis provides guidance on likely outcome and 8 times out of 10 it holds true. in BOA, WGI and DCI it has shown to be true the past 5 plus years.

it does not however, take away the human factor, so it is not always right -  the data does not say that a program will win because it won earlier by X points  - far from it. It does say that a program has a defined their season early on and has a high probability to succeed -  just my observation 

I enjoyed all the shows this weekend, and looking forward to Grand Nats

For the Houston bands, I am unsurprised by Cy Fair. I thought they should have been a bit higher.

What I am surprised about is how Seven Lakes edged out Friendswood and Clear Brook. Did anyone get to see their performances and if so, what caused Seven Lakes to shoot up this year because prior to this they hadn't placed higher than 34.

From what I can find, Seven Lakes had a director change that occurred in the 2015 year and it seems he is taking the program in the right direction. Very cool to see a band like this on the uprise. 

Absolutely exhausted after Friday night away football game, getting to bed around 1 am, getting up at 4:45, getting to the band room at 6:00, riding the bus to SA, absolutely tremendous super regional, getting back on the bus, and getting home around 4 (really 5 thanks to the time change). And we are already into planning the Indy trip today... Busy, busy, busy. Super fun though! I'm also glad that we've finally pretty much settled on our show, and won't be making massive changes (I say that, and then something big changes of course) - we'll spend our practice time at home and at the convention center in Indy this week cleaning it up. In case anyone was curious as to why we weren't present at prelims awards - they were rehearsing at Comalander stadium and didn't get back in time to attend. Trying hard to get back the time lost, and I think we are getting that gap closed to where we aren't a week behind everyone anymore.

Our send-off performance is about 9 pm Tuesday at Woodforest.

Not true, 2008 Keller got 9th as well. And 10th in 2009 at that. Now those scores wer in the mid to low 80s, but yes this year ties their best super regional placement.

And since then marching band has gotten so much different and more competitive that those results don’t mean much today. Keller is at the best they’ve ever been.

Absolutely exhausted after Friday night away football game, getting to bed around 1 am, getting up at 4:45, getting to the band room at 6:00, riding the bus to SA, absolutely tremendous super regional, getting back on the bus, and getting home around 4 (really 5 thanks to the time change). And we are already into planning the Indy trip today... Busy, busy, busy. Super fun though! I'm also glad that we've finally pretty much settled on our show, and won't be making massive changes (I say that, and then something big changes of course) - we'll spend our practice time at home and at the convention center in Indy this week cleaning it up. In case anyone was curious as to why we weren't present at prelims awards - they were rehearsing at Comalander stadium and didn't get back in time to attend. Trying hard to get back the time lost, and I think we are getting that gap closed to where we aren't a week behind everyone anymore.

I hear you on the exhaustion. We got back to our home in Cedar Park at 2:30 am and I've spent the day trying to recover. I remember this time last year when we were also preparing for 6A state and then the trip to Indy immediately following state announcements. Crazy time, but oh so special. Prayers for safety for The Woodlands band community!!

I wish we could attend the big send off performance!

I hear you on the exhaustion. We got back to our home in Cedar Park at 2:30 am and I've spent the day trying to recover. I remember this time last year when we were also preparing for 6A state and then the trip to Indy immediately following state announcements. Crazy time, but oh so special. Prayers for safety for The Woodlands band community!!

Just curious, why is Leander in the 3A classification for BOA, but in the 6A classification for UIL? 

Just got back home.  Oh my God.  What an experience that was, and it sounds like I picked the right year to come down for my first show!  The drama, results, and most importantly the quality and ability of those students and staffs was just insane to experience there in the dome.  Hebron's musical performance in particular was just.......transcending.  I am absolutely coming back for more next year, I'm hooked.  

Also shout out to Avon.  What a class act.  How they carried themselves, the Yellow Rose addition to their warm up, the waves, staying for CTJs encore, and so much more were just so so so amazing and we noticed.  Thank you so much for coming down, I'm so glad I got to experience the mighty Avon on top of everything else that happened with a show that's built around a piece that is so special to me!  

good luck in Indy - 

Avon, Flower Mound, Marcus, and The Woodlands all just got to go through something that was directly equivalent to Grand National Finals in almost every way 1 week early. Not sure if it will make a difference, but sometimes having such an experience will help the mental state of the performers that have never been on that kind of stage, with that kind of intensity. Every band member now knows what they have to bring to the table next week (only better, if you can imagine that). I think that is something that could be an intangible for these bands, especially the Texas bands that don't go every year.

Three slight surprises.

1 - Leander in 14th. Completely disagree with this placement. The scores for them are all fairly baffling.

2 - Reagan overcoming the top half and bottom half split to place over Flower Mound. I wouldn’t have had them above Flower Mound, but I absolutely would have had them in the top half over Cedar Park.

3 - CTJ over Hebron in music again. Based on the recaps, CTJ won music both rounds on the strength of individual performance. Hebron was first in ensemble music in both rounds, but only 5 hundredths of a point ahead of CTJ in finals when it should have been more like 3-4 tenths. Not that that would have changed the outcome. CTJ’s GE score would have been enough to overcome that, just like it was enough to overcome a 7th place finish in ensemble visual performance.

You could attend Round Rock High School's send off performance at about 7:30 pm tomorrow (Monday) at Kelly Reeves!

Just wondering from other's perspectives about what lacked in Vista Ridge's performance to break into the finals.  From the webcast, it looked spot on to me and I liked it better that a few of the finalists.

This contest was just *that* competitive, which means every little element of both design and execution matter (and performance time, luck, all the things out of your control, etc.)

Functionally speaking I liked this show's design and execution the most out of the last three shows.

For perspective, we made it into finals in 2014 with a 85.95 (13th) in prelims, the score this year was 88.55 (16th)

Another thing to note is that Avon beat all of the Texas bands attending Nationals in all three captions. That’s not a good sign. Then again, San Antonio results don’t exactly have a history of matching up perfectly with Nationals results, as last year demonstrated pretty spectacularly.