2017 BOA San Antonio Super Regionals Predictions

I felt the exact same way but then I really thought about it. Leander performs what they have at an EXTREMELY high level but seem to be trying too hard to do something so new that they lose the focus on the basics. Their show is dominated by electronics/guard moments/running

that it is hard to reward them in music and visual when there is a lack of both. When they do play or march they perform it extremely well but they severely lack it to the point where it really affects thier scores. At first glance, thier show is an absolutely phenomenal work of art (which it still is), but strays too far from the basics of marching and playing. I am in 100% favor of modern shows but there is a point where it begins to hurt placement and scores but that shouldn’t even matter as long as the kids love what they do.

This is all complete speculation and I could be totally wrong.

I can't disagree with your analysis.

After Saturday night's results I personally think it's time for Leander to find a new design style. This current one has produced some really great shows, the fourth dimension in particular was great. But even since color study (my personal favorite from a design standpoint) they have struggled with music effect and for the fourth year in a row this struggle reared its ugly head. Leander was 28th in music GE 2 in pre lims, and 14th from all 3 effect judges in finals. Personally I've enjoyed the minimalist music and electronics and weird ethereal designs, but it obviously is not doing them any favors anymore. I'm very curious to see what they come up with next year, whether they stick to their guns or find a new identity. New uniforms are coming next year so it may be a good time to reinvent themselves.

Ps I'm not saying the designs are bad, they were tenth with a score a little above 91 in pre lims and an 89 is nothing to sneeze at, but if Leander wants to punch back in to the top 5 again I think a change is in order.

Another thing to note is that Avon beat all of the Texas bands attending Nationals in all three captions. That’s not a good sign. Then again, San Antonio results don’t exactly have a history of matching up perfectly with Nationals results, as last year demonstrated pretty spectacularly.

Interestingly, Avon and FloMo stayed within a point of each other in prelims and finals with FloMo on top in prelims and Avon in finals. Both bands have room to grow before gnats. We'll see how much they can accomplish in the next week.

This post wins all of the awards. :)

On behalf of Texas, thank you Avon Indiana Marching B&G for coming here and sharing your insanely talented band program and incredible people with us. We were honored and we feel as if you all are adopted Texans now. We will root for the mighty band from Avon IN as if it were Avon TX. Because in our hearts, you are.

What a kind thing to say. From one band momma to another, thank you. We appreciate your continued support. I can assure you - likewise. Have an awesome week! 

NOOOO!!! Never, ever, ever feel like this is a Texas forum.  This is a BAND forum...it's wonderful that Avon came to BOA and I hope they make it back again soon!  You guys are incredible....congratulations on Avon's placement!!

LostChoirBoy told me the same thing. I truly appreciate that. As a band mom, I can take no credit for our incredible program. I just know I am humbled and grateful for its presence in our community. And, we are thrilled with our 4th place achievement. Texas bands are fierce! Thanks again for opening your home to us. 

" worn for the last time in Texas at Kelly Reeves" - that in reference to the current Round Rock uniforms made me very sentimental and I will try my best to attend tonight's send-off. I'm a former Round Rock band parent (2012 - 2017). Watched the finals in San Antonio this past weekend for the 6th time in a row.

I felt the exact same way but then I really thought about it. Leander performs what they have at an EXTREMELY high level but seem to be trying too hard to do something so new that they lose the focus on the basics. Their show is dominated by electronics/guard moments/running

that it is hard to reward them in music and visual when there is a lack of both. When they do play or march they perform it extremely well but they severely lack it to the point where it really affects thier scores. At first glance, thier show is an absolutely phenomenal work of art (which it still is), but strays too far from the basics of marching and playing. I am in 100% favor of modern shows but there is a point where it begins to hurt placement and scores but that shouldn’t even matter as long as the kids love what they do.

Another thing that I forgot to mention is that Ronald Reagan has a completely unique ethereal feel to their show and they do run and do visuals ALOT but in my opinion they have hit an absolute homerun in show design. Their concept of contrast is extremely simple but the music and visual nuances add so much GE to the show. Leander and Reagan have a similar feel but Leander is missig something in my opinion.

Another thing that I forgot to mention is that Ronald Reagan has a completely unique ethereal feel to their show and they do run and do visuals ALOT but in my opinion they have hit an absolute homerun in show design. Their concept of contrast is extremely simple but the music and visual nuances add so much GE to the show. Leander and Reagan have a similar feel but Leander is missig something in my opinion.

LostChoirBoy told me the same thing. I truly appreciate that. As a band mom, I can take no credit for our incredible program. I just know I am humbled and grateful for its presence in our community. And, we are thrilled with our 4th place achievement. Texas bands are fierce! Thanks again for opening your home to us.

I hope you were treated with all the Texas hospitality you deserved and I hope you got some good Texas barbecue while you were here. Thank you for sharing your kids with us. They were a sight to see.

" worn for the last time in Texas at Kelly Reeves" - that in reference to the current Round Rock uniforms made me very sentimental and I will try my best to attend tonight's send-off. I'm a former Round Rock band parent (2012 - 2017). Watched the finals in San Antonio this past weekend for the 6th time in a row.

I'm going to miss them also. I was there when those uniforms first came out in 2010. I heard the new ones will still have the dragon on them. Don't know anything more than that except that they are going to be "amazing".

Hello all, I was looking at the results for the competition, and am wondering if anyone is surprised by Keller's huge jump from 14th to 9th?

Also, I didn't get to see too many bands, so I'm dying to watch how Hebron's show improved since BOA Southlake. I didn't get to see CTJ's performance live, but the colorguard uniforms are beautiful, and the recorded show was absolutely amazing! 

Good luck to all the bands going to Grand Nats! I know ya'll will represent Team Texas well with your insanely awesome shows!

We absolutely were treated with amazing Texas hospitality, and I had no idea Texas barbecue was a thing. I guess we need to come back. We did go to Casa Rio on the Riverwalk, and that was pretty yummy. Thank you for welcoming our kids. When you treat our kids well, you are friends. Thrilled to have new friends in the great state of Texas. All y'all are wonderful! 

It's funny that BBQ is being brought up. I was eating at Rudy's BBQ last night and wondered if the Avon people had eaten any BBQ while they were down here.

Hello all, I was looking at the results for the competition, and am wondering if anyone is surprised by Keller's huge jump from 14th to 9th?

Also, I didn't get to see too many bands, so I'm dying to watch how Hebron's show improved since BOA Southlake. I didn't get to see CTJ's performance live, but the colorguard uniforms are beautiful, and the recorded show was absolutely amazing!

Good luck to all the bands going to Grand Nats! I know ya'll will represent Team Texas well with your insanely awesome shows!

Keller moved around a lot last year too. They went from 9th to 13th last year. I think they were 14th in prelims because of some really odd GE scores. One music GE had them in 4th and the other had them in 23rd also some other GE judges had them 18th and 15th. Thier music and visual scores were very solid. In finals, the GE scores were way more consistent so that’s where their jump came from, rightfully so in my opinion. I’m not that surprised considering last years results, how close prelims were, and how well they performed in finals. They were over a full point ahead of Hendrickson.

After Saturday night's results I personally think it's time for Leander to find a new design style. This current one has produced some really great shows, the fourth dimension in particular was great. But even since color study (my personal favorite from a design standpoint) they have struggled with music effect and for the fourth year in a row this struggle reared its ugly head. Leander was 28th in music GE 2 in pre lims, and 14th from all 3 effect judges in finals. Personally I've enjoyed the minimalist music and electronics and weird ethereal designs, but it obviously is not doing them any favors anymore. I'm very curious to see what they come up with next year, whether they stick to their guns or find a new identity. New uniforms are coming next year so it may be a good time to reinvent themselves.

Ps I'm not saying the designs are bad, they were tenth with a score a little above 91 in pre lims and an 89 is nothing to sneeze at, but if Leander wants to punch back in to the top 5 again I think a change is in order.

I personally thought Leander's show was very cool.  I'll have to concede that I don't totally understand GE - how does one improve general effect?  Become more effective, in general :) 

There are some crowdpleasers that don't score well in GE, and vice versa.  GE seems to be turning marching band away from military roots and more toward Broadway musicals.  Judges might have more refined (some would say "artsy fartsy") taste than your average fan.  Reminds me of how Annie Hall won best picture over Star Wars.  

I am a bit outdated in my taste, though.  I don't like too much electronics, recorded music, ballet on a football field (no more than I would enjoy a drumline on a ballet stage), etc. 

On the other hand, the more theatrical trend is attracting a broader audience and educating more kids, which no one can complain about.

Vista Ridges show was fantastic they are an amazing group! What I think happened was being directly after Cedar Park, Cedar Ridge, and Round Rock it played a big roll in how scores were given. Cedar Park and Cedar Ridge were probably the measure, were you better than Cedar Park? maybe not but possibly better than cedar ridge. Sometimes great bands being back to back helps the judges give scores if the competition is competitive which it was!

Yeah, VRHS is probably one of five bands wondering what they could possibly have done better to move up.  I was there in person and I can say the crowd really enjoyed the VRHS show, even in context of the heavy hitters that were in the same block.  

I will compliment the judges as remarkably consistent across competitions, given how subjective the categories are.   I'm guessing it comes down to details that only a trained eye or ear can perceive.