2017 BOA San Antonio Super Regionals Predictions

Avon parent here. Thank you Texas for wonderful hospitality, a lovely city, and jaw dropping competition! Wow. This is our first year in marching band and we had NO idea what we were getting into, but we love it. The Indy super regional was dull by comparison. Now if we can just carry the intensity y'all gave us into grand nats next week, we are sure to crush Carmel! Hebron's sound blew me away, and FloMo dazzled me. Vandergrift was soooo smooth, and CTJ...ok, I admit, I didn't quite get CTJ. Maybe it was too much for this noob to catch it all. But every show was thrilling. Thanks again, Texas.

CTJ most definitely takes some getting used to. I felt EXACTLY the same way the first time I saw them in San Antonio. Now I completely adore them.

I hope Avon goes home and burns down Lucas Oil stadium!!!!

there are a number of bands that have dance teams - I think one of the Austin bands (Hendrickson maybe) is known as a marching band and a dance team - it is in their title. but there are many that use dancers now

It allows them to expand their guard and add a new dimension to the show - 

I agree that using a dance team to expand the guard/supplement the show seems very smart. Ronald Reagan has about 40 guard and 40 dancers, which creates just an enormous presence on the field and is very effective. But they do have a guard, which uses equipment and does it very well. Vandegrift has a dance team ONLY, which barely uses any equipment. Are there others like that? What's the incentive for groups to go for the difficult equipment work if dance alone will suffice for very high visual scores?

The Austin band you're thinking of with a dance team is in fact Vandegrift, btw. They're called the Vision Dance Company or something like that.

Wow, what a contest. So much greatness in one location! I've just never seen anything like it in my entire life. And evidently neither has Dan Potter. I felt so humbled by his words last night. I know he was very moved by the level of competition this year, as were so many of us. I wish the Band kids could truly appreciate what they accomplished this weekend. I know the Leander kids were very disappointed with their placement, but I hope they will come to realize that 14th place in a level of competition that we saw this weekend is truly nothing to be ashamed of. I was so proud and happy for Hendrickson and Cedar Ridge, and so pumped to see Vandegrift medal for the first time at BOA SA!! Hebron was insane, as were Avon and CTJ. Just the overall level of band brilliance in the Alamodome this year moved me to tears many times this weekend. It was an experience that won't be forgotten by most of us anytime soon. And having Avon there amongst us just compounded the overall level of greatness even more so. It was just a mind blowing weekend and I hope the finalists bands, and those phenomenal bands that there weren't room for in finals, will fully appreciate what they accomplished this year regardless of placement. It was simply the best.

But y'all...when Avon threw in "the Yellow Rose of Texas" into their usual warm up piece...that SLAYED me!!!!

It would be interesting if BOA moved the Indy Super to somewhere else - maybe Oklahoma City.  

Then, you could see the north Texas (DFW area), Oklahoma, and probably some Missouri (KC area) bands compete.  That would even out the competition quite a bit and give us some interesting matchups.  San Antonio Super would be mostly Austin, SA, and Houston - which is plenty.  

Save Indy for Nationals?  

It would be interesting if BOA moved the Indy Super to somewhere else - maybe Oklahoma City.

Then, you could see the north Texas (DFW area), Oklahoma, and probably some Missouri (KC area) bands compete. That would even out the competition quite a bit and give us some interesting matchups. San Antonio Super would be mostly Austin, SA, and Houston - which is plenty.

Save Indy for Nationals?

Except DFW will want to compete in the dome. It’s only a 4 hour trip give or take traffic.

We Leander peeps were so disappointed not to hear Vista's name announced! I think in any other competition this yeat we would have!!

Yes, thank you.  It is tough (usually) ranking fourth out of the LISD bands, but there's a lot on the bright side.  I bet they'll figure out how to crack into that next level soon.  

I was aiming more at the 2 people were shocked that didn't medal, but I do know about the others that didn't end up in finals and what not.

Do not count OUT the  Woodlands and Round Rock just yet, both have history of peaking at Nationals.  Although, RR has never scored this low before heading off to Nationals, it may be hard to dig out that - but if they can clean up musically, they may have a chance to  make finals.   Woodlands will show up and IMO make finals without doubt.

Except DFW will want to compete in the dome. It’s only a 4 hour trip give or take traffic.

It is true that a dome is probably table stakes.  I don't have a better suggestion, but I think BOA will have to do something, unless they're OK with people viewing Nationals as a broader but less competitive version of SA Super.  

Yes, thank you. It is tough (usually) ranking fourth out of the LISD bands, but there's a lot on the bright side. I bet they'll figure out how to crack into that next level soon.

Any other time y'all would have made finals with Vista's show this year. This competition was insanely difficult on an entirely new level. No words...

It is true that a dome is probably table stakes.  I don't have a better suggestion, but I think BOA will have to do something, unless they're OK with people viewing Nationals as a broader but less competitive version of SA Super.  

You're right. I predict more bands across the country will follow Avon's lead and start going to San Antonio in future years, and it will soon be perceived as the de facto Nationals if BOA isn't careful.

Do not count OUT the  Woodlands and Round Rock just yet, both have history of peaking at Nationals.  Although, RR has never scored this low before heading off to Nationals, it may be hard to dig out that - but if they can clean up musically, they may have a chance to  make finals.   Woodlands will show up and IMO make finals without doubt.

In terms of Grand Nats RR...

Round Rock 2013 Prelims (87.80)

Round Rock 2013 Finals (87.70)

Round Rock 2015 Prelims (92.10)

Round Rock 2015 Finals (87.50)

Round Rock 2017 Prelims (87.45)

Round Rock actually scored pretty regularly at San Antonio this year.

Cedar Park *never* has an off year. They're clever like that. ;)

Keller was ON POINT this year!!

I sorry but WHAT WAS CP DOING THIS WEEK!!! The improvement from Area to now was incredible! I knew that they had a really good week in rehearsal but oh my that was 10x better than any of their other performances this year! 

Avon parent here. Thank you Texas for wonderful hospitality, a lovely city, and jaw dropping competition! Wow. This is our first year in marching band and we had NO idea what we were getting into, but we love it. The Indy super regional was dull by comparison. Now if we can just carry the intensity y'all gave us into grand nats next week, we are sure to crush Carmel! Hebron's sound blew me away, and FloMo dazzled me. Vandergrift was soooo smooth, and CTJ...ok, I admit, I didn't quite get CTJ. Maybe it was too much for this noob to catch it all. But every show was thrilling. Thanks again, Texas.

Ummmm, not sure why the goal is to "crush Carmel"???   I would hope the goal is for every kid to have their best run!

In terms of Grand Nats RR...

Round Rock 2013 Prelims (87.80)

Round Rock 2013 Finals (87.70)

Round Rock 2015 Prelims (92.10)

Round Rock 2015 Finals (87.50)

Round Rock 2017 Prelims (87.45)

Round Rock actually scored pretty regularly at San Antonio this year.

Correct. Round Rock isn't weakening, but the other strong Texas bands just keep getting stronger. Their show is different and a little risky this year -- I actually really love it. May still do very well at Grand Nats.

Ummmm, not sure why the goal is to "crush Carmel"??? I would hope the goal is for every kid to have their best run!

After last year and the times they've met this season, they just want to beat Carmel. And honestly I would too! Maybe crush is a little harsh, but it's all in friendly competition (at least I'd hope lol) :)