2024 BOA Grand National Championships (Nov. 14-16)

17 hours ago, pancake said:

i feel like the biggest school in texas that has never gone to nats is coppell. like they have had rumors of going for almost like 5 years now but have not made the trip. they are long overdue and i really feel like they need to make the trip up to indy.

I think they'll almost certainly make their first trip within the next two years at least. They've long been rumored to want to attend and their St. Louis trips were specifically meant to build up to a Grand Nationals trip. Their Midwest Clinic invitation pushed things back a bit but they'll be in Indianapolis sooner than later.

13 hours ago, stix said:

I’m curious how grand nats cost are funded for bands.  I am sure there are multiple ways, just curious if anyone here would be open to sharing how your band handles this added expense?

Are they  part of the yearly fees, and they are just more on a grand mats year?

Are they paid for by fund raising through the band or the boosters?

Are they an addition fee not covered by normal band fees or fund raising?

Our band has a band fee paid to the booster club each year that adjusts for how much travel is being done.  What can change year to year and is what changes the yearly fee is if the band travel's out of state- airplane cost and hotel or needs a hotel night for BOA San Antonio.  If a trip is out of state the fee is generally $1200- $1500  more than if there are no out of state trips- but it’s just a higher band fee for the year- and everything gets paid from the booster club. 

Our band fee’s pay for just about everything the band does each year- marching and concert season. The things that are the same each year that are paid from the fee’s:

Show designer, techs, master class teachers, costumes, prop items, truck drivers to move the band trailer and rental of additional trailers/trucks (for props) for every football game or stadium rehearsal, guard instructors (school doesn’t pay for any of the guard instructor’s salary at all), food for all game days and competitions, and concert season solo and ensemble judges and master classes.  

The district pays for the hotel night for state when we go and the bus to get there as well- they pay some towards food- but we build in additional money in the budget to feed the kids for more than the $7 per meal they are given.  A food per diem is given for the area contest as well   

The school owned instruments come through the school budget- and 2 1/2 directors (one is shared with the jr high for half the day).

Oh forgot to mention fundraisers.   The fee’s are calculated with realistic fundraising goals- and there are 3-4 band fundraisers throughout the school year that the earnings go straight to the band as a whole- that was budgeted as an expected amount to lower the cost per student.  There are a couple fundraisers that are done as well that students (or parents) can earn money for the individual student accounts and their account balance is lowered if they participate and turn in money for those fundraisers.  

7 hours ago, nightlife said:

Since I love rumors, I’d love to know more about the rumors of Pearland returning, Cyfair, Bridgeland, and Rouse going next year…

I would hope those bands wait another year before going. Going immediately after a breakout success hasn’t been historically favorable for a few bands. Give it a few years to build up.

On 11/13/2023 at 11:56 AM, ChristopherRoden said:

Curious who else is headed that way, either rumored or based on rotation? 
I feel like Reagan, Vista Ridge, Marcus, Flower Mound, LD Bell, Tarpon Springs, Wakeland, Leander, Vandegrift, Keller Central, Dobbyns Bennet, Wando, and Broken Arrow are due for a return.

Schools like Coppell, Timber Creek, Forney, Bridgeland, Cy Fair, Seven Lakes, Lonestar, Waxahachie, Westlake, Westwood, and Rouse all should consider going!

I don't think Westwood is going to GN next year. They had a very busy year this year and i would imagine the student missed more school then they would have liked to so they might not go anywhere crazy next year. They have said they will not be going out of state next year or until they are ready to go to GN. I believe they plan to go in 2 or 3 years. Don't quote me on anything though.

2 hours ago, lost said:

I would hope those bands wait another year before going. Going immediately after a breakout success hasn’t been historically favorable for a few bands. Give it a few years to build up.

Well said. Oddly enough, learning to handle success can be a real problem. I have seen it multiple times where a program has a very successful season and for various reasons, has a much less successful year the next year. Building a tradition of excellence is a very difficult thing to do for so many reasons. 

12 hours ago, nightlife said:

Since I love rumors, I’d love to know more about the rumors of Pearland returning, Cyfair, Bridgeland, and Rouse going next year…

It's on the radar for us (Bridgeland) at some point within the next few years, but a lot of stars need to align. And the scheduling for 6a state/boasa/gn next yr is...suboptimal. 

On 11/15/2023 at 6:50 AM, AvonDad said:

Taylor Swift grabbed the first weekend in Nov at Lucas Oil for 2024.  Her scheduling people beat out everyone else.

That’s what I heard as well. I just wasn’t sure if it was public knowledge yet or not. 😁

Good to “see” you again friend!  Congratulations to the incredible Avon MBG for winning GN for the first time in 13 years!  (Also, I may or may not have interviewed Avon’s head DM Shaelyn Harloff this week for the On A Water Break podcast 😍😍😍). 

1 hour ago, clarinetistkai05 said:

Here’s something for Forney that I posted on the Grand Nationals Forum:

It’s happening within the next few years, the directors are planning it. 

I watched y'all at UIL State Finals and thoroughly enjoyed your show.  Congratulations on a great year and a fantastic finish!

year from now predictions

1st - Vandegrift (that's only if they go, if they dont, move everyone below up 1 spot)

2nd - Carmel

3rd - Avon

4th - Hebron 

5th - The Woodlands

6th - William Mason

7th - Round Rock

8th - Keller

9th - Marcus

10th - CTJ

11th - Dripping Springs

12th - Bentonville

(in case vandy doesnt go, then 12th would be Fishers)

14 minutes ago, cheeto2401 said:

1st - Vandegrift (that's only if they go, if they dont, move everyone below up 1 spot)

2nd - Carmel

3rd - Avon

4th - Hebron 

5th - The Woodlands

6th - William Mason

7th - Round Rock

8th - Keller

9th - Marcus

10th - CTJ

11th - Dripping Springs

12th - Bentonville

Hebron and Marcus are on a 4 year rotation schedule, so you won't see Hebron until 2027 (they just went this year) and Marcus until 2025 (last time in 2021).

2 hours ago, cheeto2401 said:

2nd - Carmel

3rd - Avon

4th - Hebron 

5th - The Woodlands

6th - William Mason

7th - Round Rock

8th - Keller

9th - Marcus

10th - CTJ

11th - Dripping Springs

12th - Bentonville

Woodlands will NOT be at gn 2 years in a row.   ‘25 is when they’ll be back. 

5 hours ago, cheeto2401 said:

2nd - Carmel

3rd - Avon

4th - Hebron 

5th - The Woodlands

6th - William Mason

7th - Round Rock

8th - Keller

9th - Marcus

10th - CTJ

11th - Dripping Springs

12th - Bentonville

Round Rock only goes on odd number years.

2nd - Carmel

3rd - Avon

4th - Hebron 

5th - The Woodlands

6th - William Mason

7th - Round Rock

8th - Keller

9th - Marcus

10th - CTJ

11th - Dripping Springs

12th - Bentonville

It is highly unlikely that Dripping, Keller, Round Rock, Hebron, TWHS, and CTJ will go next year. Hopefully we see a new slate of great Texas band in attendance though!

2nd - Carmel

3rd - Avon

4th - Hebron 

5th - The Woodlands

6th - William Mason

7th - Round Rock

8th - Keller

9th - Marcus

10th - CTJ

11th - Dripping Springs

12th - Bentonville

None of those Texas bands will be at Grand Nationals next year. Hebron goes on a four year rotation while the Woodlands, Round Rock, and CTJ are on two year rotations. Marcus' next trip is in 2025, and it's highly unlikely that Keller and Dripping Springs will go two years in a row. Should be interesting to see which Texas bands attend as the contingent tends to be lighter on even numbered years.